General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I came to say I think Reptilitcus is better than Super Monster easily then I realized you're talking about Reptilian...oh...hm...that's a tough one.
Well you can say that there is a certain stupidness about Super Monster that is kind of entertaining...I think moreso than Reptilian.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Super Monster is probably the worst cinematic kaiju movie. None of the other Showa Gamera films are anywhere close to being that bad.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The Heisei Gamera Trilogy was great but put me in the camp that says I don't like them as much as everyone else.

The Gamera trilogy is better but someone say they're the best kaiju films since Gojira and to me personally I don't have them worlds above the Cyclone roar Trilogy(G84, Biollante,KG).
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think there's a very solid case to be made for Gamera 3 as the best kaiju movie ever made, although IMO it doesn't quite surpass the original Godzilla.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Last-installment mythology retcons that actually work are rare. Even if the rest of the film were just okay that would be pretty impressive.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Released on November 27, "Gamera Large Monsters Aerial Battle" Dolby Cinema version notice (4K image quality)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNntwRm2DCQ

Can't tell if this is home media thing or a re-release in theaters but it's gonna be in 4K with HDR.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

To the people saying Gamera Super Monster is the worst kaiju movie ever...its hard to disagree with that.

Its so bad, that the shot the film takes at Godzilla just enrages me. You deliver this piece of crap and have the gall to go after someone else's monster movies? For shame!

In many ways, it has the same faults Godzilla's Revenge does, but amplifies it to horrifying heights. Say what you will about Godzilla's Revenge, and Lord knows I've said plenty, at least the film has SOMETHING going for it in the social commentary Honda tried to bring to the table. Its probably the only film in the series where I like the human drama more than the monster stuff, and there's something to be said for that. Also, because alot of the movie is a dream of the main kid, the movie is allowed to not make much sense. Why does Minilla talk and change size? Because the kid can dream it. Dreams don't make sense, so I can accept it.

But GSM...nothing about the story makes any sense at all, and its all bad connective tissue to unite pre-existing footage I've already seen before. The stuff about the alien superhero women and the young boy helping them is just inane. And the fact that it relies so heavily on stock footage from the earlier movies is the main reason I didn't seek it out for years. I actually remember a conversation I had with someone who had seen it:

"I've never seen Gamera Super Monster"
"You've seen all the other Gamera movies though, right?"
"Yeah"
"Then you've seen all the good stuff from Super Monster".

I only eventually saw Super Monster because it was included on my Gamera DVD set, which I only considered it to be a glorified Bonus Feature more than anything else. The nicest thing I can say about Super Monster is that if you've never seen a Gamera film before, it kind of works as like a highlight package for the series.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

All right got translations, seems that it's both a limit theater re-release for this month and a 4K HDR UHD Blu-Ray for January next year.
Gamera 55th Anniversary!

Released on January 29, 2021 (Friday)
4K Digital Restoration Ultra HD Blu-ray [HDR Version] Release Commemoration
"Gamera: Guardian of the Universe" 4K HDR version revived with the latest technology for the ultimate cinema experience!

Screening for a limited time at DOLBY CINEMA nationwide from 11/27 (Friday)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That sounds good.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Gamera's birthday is coming up, so does anyone have any plans for it?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Might try to re-watch one of the movies. Probably one of the trilogy, since I re-watched a Showa era movie in October.
Resized Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Guess i'll got back to watching the Trilogy.. again.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

gfan84
Samurai

Post by gfan84 »

I dont wish to go off topic but I have a relative who is doing a movie blog. My relative is planning to review gamera. I need some help because I would like to find a picture of director Shigeo Tanaka, who did gamera vs barugon. I have looked everywhere and i can not find an image of him, not even when I highlight and paste his name in japanese. Does anybody know where to find a picture of him so I can send it to my relative?

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Living Corpse wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:16 am Released on November 27, "Gamera Large Monsters Aerial Battle" Dolby Cinema version notice (4K image quality)

Can't tell if this is home media thing or a re-release in theaters but it's gonna be in 4K with HDR.
I think it's a theatrical re-release. Pretty cool - and, of course, I suppose we all hope this is Kadokawa testing the waters for something bigger!

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:00 pm Gamera's birthday is coming up, so does anyone have any plans for it?
I'll be watching the original movie, from the Arrow Blu-ray set (finally).
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:54 pm
Living Corpse wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:16 am Released on November 27, "Gamera Large Monsters Aerial Battle" Dolby Cinema version notice (4K image quality)

I think it's a theatrical re-release. Pretty cool - and, of course, I suppose we all hope this is Kadokawa testing the waters for something bigger!
Probably should have read my second post to see if I figured that out. ;)

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Ah! Sorry about that!

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Decided to re-watch Advent of Legion tonight. The sheer scope of it really blew me away and I love how it handles the tension and buildup. Third re-watch in one year and frankly I'd be happy to watch it again! Pure kino.

Resized Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:07 pm ^ Ah! Sorry about that!
It's fine, I've done the same thing. :P

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

gfan84 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:20 pm I dont wish to go off topic but I have a relative who is doing a movie blog. My relative is planning to review gamera. I need some help because I would like to find a picture of director Shigeo Tanaka, who did gamera vs barugon. I have looked everywhere and i can not find an image of him, not even when I highlight and paste his name in japanese. Does anybody know where to find a picture of him so I can send it to my relative?
I'm sure there's a Japanese publication out there with his image, but indeed it does seem nigh impossible to find one online. I wouldn't be shocked if he's visible in some BTS images from Barugon, but good luck identifying him. I remember there being a similar situation with Godzilla Raids Again director Motoyoshi Oda for a while.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....