Primal (2019)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Primal (2019)

Post by _JNavs_ »

So I haven't had a laptop in about 3+ weeks, therefore i couldn't log in on here, but I recently binged episodes 4-9... I think this show is perfection, in terms of everything a show should be, sound design, music, art style, uniqueness, it's all fantastic. I praised this show on this thread during the first 2 episodes, but once it moved to HBO Max I wasn't able to catch up. Now that it's back on demand I can safely say it's become everything I dreamed it would be.

As a reptile owner and a dinosaur fanatic, the bond between Spear and Fang is super relatable. They've been through so many hardships together, and it just builds their bond with every episode. The action, music and gorey art style, gets the blood pumping every time.

Standout moments for me from the more recent episodes:

- their bond shown during the beach scene was beautiful

- the apes in that same episode were fierce (planet of the apes tartakovsky series when?!?!?)

- the plague episode was terrifying

- the witch episode is easily my favorite due to how emotional it was with 0 dialogue being spoken

- the war between the giant bats, and velociraptors and Spear/Fang were insane!
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Um....wow. Slave of the Scorpion was a pretty nice episode. I didn't care for it at first, but it got better as it progresses. That ending, though....
Spoiler:
Man, I hope they'll follow up on that episode with Spear and Fang trying to rescue Mira from her captors because I ended up liking her a lot and want to see her join on Spear and Fang's journeys.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Yeah know, when I first heard of the show I was a little uncertain how it would keep me interested on a weekly basis, especially over a series.

But wow,
Spoiler:
Spear just softly saying, "Mira"... that, that has me captivated for a Season 2. Primal's been great. Like, it sets so much up that I can't wait to see what they do. I've not enjoyed every episode, A Cold Death is probably my least favorite but its still baseline good, but damn, if this show doesn't come back It'll be criminal.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

This show is so freaking good its ridiculous, and the finale got me to gasp at the TV, which is rare.

EDIT:

OK, time to rank the 10 episodes!

Worst to Best:
Spoiler:
10) A Cold Death = I would like to start off by saying that I liked every single episode of the show, so alot of this comes down to splitting hairs and personal tastes. I think I put this one as the weakest because by virtue of its premise, it is just the least interesting of the 10. When I saw a trailer for Primal, this episode turned out to be what I envisioned a "Textbook" episode would be like. The snowy setting helps it to stand out a little bit among the rest, but that's about it. As is, its a good standard adventure for our lovable Man/Dino team, but there are far better outings.

9) Coven of the Damned = On one hand, I really liked this episode, but on the other, I felt like there was some unfulfilled potential. The story kind of turns on a dime by shifting focus and sympathy to one of the witches in the coven, and that stuff turned out just fine. And I guess its a decent twist to see that after such a horrifying introduction, the witches aren't all soulless monsters like we were initially led to believe. However, with such a creepy introduction and an "OH SHIT! GET OUT OF THERE!" beginning, I was hoping for something that ended with more horror and unease. Also, revisiting Spear and Fang's backstories through the witch's eyes felt like retreading. Still, its a solid episode, but I wish it had been taken in a different direction.

8) River of Snakes = The 2nd episode does a very good job of establishing more of the growth and bond between our two leads, and is a perfect follow up to the pilot. Its fun to watch them start off almost as adversaries while hunting and then slowly learn how to work together rather than against each other. Why is it so low? I just think the above episodes are cooler.

7) The Night Feeder = On paper, I should absolutely love this one as one of my top tier favorites, as I love the whole idea of an unseen predator terrorizing everything in it's path and putting Spear and Fang in serious danger. That stuff is well handled, especially with how Spear and Fang both figure out what they are dealing with and how to fend it off. That said, I REALLY wish they didn't reveal what the creature looked like. I would have loved having that air of mystery about it, and with all that build up, there was almost no way the design could ever live up to the reveal, and sadly, I don't think it did. Still, a very cool episode all around.

6) Scent of Prey = Great follow up episode 5 where Fang's fate was left in doubt. It was terrific to see the lengths Spear went to protect his friend and all the different threats that would pop up while he tried to do that. It was a tense and constantly escalating story that felt personal as well. I just wish I hadn't watched Plague of Madness first when it aired on April Fool's because knowing Fang is a-ok in that episode kind of took away from the drama in this one.

5) Slave of the Scorpion = The final episode of Season 1 closed out with an episode that, as I stated before, got me to audibly gasp a couple of times, which is a rare reaction from me. Its also fairly subdued compared to other episodes of Primal and largely focuses on a simple story of Spear and Fang integrating a new companion into their midst, and it is done very effectively by getting us to care about this new character using the same techniques and storytelling tools that make the show great in the first place. It also sets things up beautifully for a potentially exciting Season 2 (please oh please oh please!)

4) Spear and Fang = The introduction to this wonderful series begins by introducing us to our two leads and how they came to be allies, and does so with all the hallmarks that the show was sold on: 1) Prehistoric setting, 2) No dialogue 3) Unapologetic violence and 4) pure visual storytelling bliss. Primal is one of the few shows where I've watched the first episode and was completely hooked from the word go.

3) Rage of the Ape Men = The end of the first half of the series ended on a very tense cliffhanger that left me begging for more, but it also gives us the show at its absolute best when you see such pure unforgiving violence and rage. The threat posed to our heroes (who start off the episode in a very calm and innocent setting before everything goes to hell) is great, and to watch them suffer made me realize how much I've grown to care for Spear and Fang after only just five episodes. The ending to this one represents the show at its most brutal and intense and is absolutely worth a watch...if you can stomach it.

2) Plague of Madness = The Zombie Dinosaur episode! Nothing else needs to be said. It is horrific with some of the most grotesque visuals the show has provided thus far and also gives us a fantastic chase sequence as Spear and Fang try to escape the death dealing infected dinosaur. Again, if you can stomach the vile images, this episode represents the show at its very best.

1) Terror Under The Blood Moon = This was the episode that told me we were in for something truly special with this show. After the first three episodes, I thought maybe they would try to go for a "historically and scientifically" accurate prehistoric setting, was darn near impossible to achieve (as that had pretty much already been broken by this point anyway). However, when I watch this thing and I see giant red bat monsters and a giant spider, I realized that this show was going away from accuracy on purpose and rather focusing on something akin to an old pulp magazine, and once that door is opened, the fantasy and insanity is allowed to take over. And when I saw giant bat monsters show up after Spear and Fang escaped from a field of raptors? It was one of those moments where all I could say is "This show just gets me". The darker setting and unique creatures on display make this episode a PERFECT viewing for Halloween too. Also, we get a great showcase for Fang getting to be the hero to save Spear, and endeared me to that dino even more.
Last edited by GojiDog on Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

If this is going the way I think it's going I'm gonna have to drop the series lmao
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:10 pm If this is going the way I think it's going I'm gonna have to drop the series lmao
Why?
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:10 pm If this is going the way I think it's going I'm gonna have to drop the series lmao
What way do you think it's going?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Based on the introduction of you know who, I think it's looking like it'll go the way of Samurai Jack Season 5. Where the story and characters are completely uprooted in order to now revolve around this new character. Of course I could be completely wrong, but it seems like Genndy is going to fuck with the dynamic and what makes the show work in order to serve his weird waifu fantasy he keeps trying to fulfill in his shows. I signed up for Dinosaur and Caveman adventures, not where I think it's going.
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Finally, episode 8 got unlocked, I can start catching up now.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:01 pm Based on the introduction of you know who, I think it's looking like it'll go the way of Samurai Jack Season 5. Where the story and characters are completely uprooted in order to now revolve around this new character. Of course I could be completely wrong, but it seems like Genndy is going to skreeonk with the dynamic and what makes the show work in order to serve his weird waifu fantasy he keeps trying to fulfill in his shows. I signed up for Dinosaur and Caveman adventures, not where I think it's going.
Primal doesn't seem like it'll have a focused season on 1 premise, but a reoccurring goal that will probably end at some point. So basically Rick and Morty in a way.

I for one and happy to see how it goes because it seems Spear and Fang will basically be fighting Conan the Barbarian. SIGN ME UP! :lol:
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^In the season finale, that woman was actually speaking Arabic. That makes me wonder, if this show aired in Arabic countries, would they dub her over into English?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:57 am ^In the season finale, that woman was actually speaking Arabic. That makes me wonder, if this show aired in Arabic countries, would they dub her over into English?
Really? Does her dialogue reveal anything or was it just randomized words?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:56 am
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:57 am ^In the season finale, that woman was actually speaking Arabic. That makes me wonder, if this show aired in Arabic countries, would they dub her over into English?
Really? Does her dialogue reveal anything or was it just randomized words?
Some people have said it on Youtube.

G-Force Personnel

Huzzah, episode 9's unlocked!

G-Force Personnel

Well that was fun, here's hoping episode 10 keeps with the trend and unlocks tomorrow too.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

This thread should be transferred into the monster manor.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

^It really should.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Ask and ye shall receive

RIP Evan.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I just don't want this show to all of a sudden become about...dialogue and character drama and etc.

Like...I love the show because it is raw, purely audio-visual, no spoken dialogue, and just about simple struggles of survival.

I don't really want dialogue, romance, good and bad humans, etc etc...I want it to stay PRIMAL, and not get civilized.

If I had to make a guess/hope of where I could see this going....Spear is getting a glimpse/opportunity for advancement, development, civility, intelligence...I think they will tease us with that potential, but then something will drive him RIGHT back to his primal, uncivilized, savage ways. It could be quite a bitter sweet turn....but one that stays true to the spirit of the show.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/sta ... 4889322503

Season 2 premieres this Summer!

Added in 13 minutes 40 seconds:
Personally I'm expecting the bronze-age Viking-themed civilization that The Scorpion comes from to be like that of 10,000 B.C. (2008).

Notably mammoths and triceratops used as beast of burdens.

This would also be cool as well.
Spoiler:
Maybe we'll even get giant scorpions given the name of The Scorpion. :D
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.