Giant Monster Movies in Development

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Giant Monster Movies in Development

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

tyrantgoji wrote:Man, besides Black Water i haven't heard of any of those. I need to search for more DVD's. :lol:
Definitely recommend Dark Age. It puts aspects of Australian Aboriginal mythology into it on top of an interesting premise. ;)

The main male lead in that film also played an character in Rogue.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Didn't know Blood Surf was Australian I guess.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Konga's getting a sequel because of... reasons.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I think you should change Godzilla vs. Kong to 2021 now.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

mikelcho wrote:I think you should change Godzilla vs. Kong to 2021 now.
Also, the Taiga movie came out last month

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Konga's getting a sequel because of... reasons.
I read that the actors filmed their senses during lockdown, that's probably not a good thing.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:
I read that the actors filmed their senses during lockdown, that's probably not a good thing.
I watched the trailer and it does seem really low-budget. Still, a giant monster movie is a giant monster movie.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

My god, that looks fucking terrible. You think they'd at least try emulating that old classy British look/feel if they wanted to make a Konga sequel, but nope. But I'm sure plenty of people on here will still watch it since its another giant monster movie and new giant monster movie, no matter how horrible > good, non-giant monster movies.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MaxRebo320 wrote:But I'm sure plenty of people on here will still watch it since its another giant monster movie and new giant monster movie, no matter how horrible > good, non-giant monster movies.
Pretty much.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I hear this is based off those public domain tie in comics. It looks awful, just slightly worse then the average Asylum film. I just watched the trailer... and I've already forgotten it. That's how bad it is.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

MaxRebo320 wrote:But I'm sure plenty of people on here will still watch it since its another giant monster movie and new giant monster movie, no matter how horrible > good, non-giant monster movies.
Well yeah. I feel like there's an argument or critique or some kind of disdain implied here, but I don't get it. I have no interest in a movie solely on the basis it's a good movie. If it's in a genre that doesn't interest me in the remotest, then obviously I'm going to prefer watching an inferior film that at least is in a genre that I love a great deal.

Basically I have to be in a very rare, very weird mood to be even half way tempted to watch the Oscar nominated romance film of the year for example, but I'll probably watch the worst giant monster movie of the decade eventually and be somewhat mildly amused. In fact I did just that (I can't even name a quarter of the Oscar nominated films either last year, I watched even fewer of them I'm sure, but I did watch the Asylum's Monster Island on SyFy, and I got both Raiga and Reigo on DVD now).

I did watch the Joker movie a few times. That's classy right?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

I like giant apes as much as the next guy but man was I stoked when I heard Konga was making a comeback. But yeah too bad it looks like a z-list piece of crap. Oh well. It looks like my dream of Konga fighting THE CREATURE OF UUANG-NI won't ever come to pass. :cry:

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I think that I'm to blame for this, as I pointed out in a months ago that the comics for Gorgo,Konga and Reptilicus are in the public domain. I didn't know that it would lead to this.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:I think that I'm to blame for this, as I pointed out in a months ago that the comics for Gorgo,Konga and Reptilicus are in the public domain. I didn't know that it would lead to this.
Actually covid is to blame for this. As I understand it, it was made because someone was stuck at home with nothing to do, so this was a fun at home project. Which... I can't hate it if that's true. It's less a horrible cash grab business thing and more someone making the best of a horrible time, and then somehow managing to sell it afterwards.

Take it with a grain of salt, but that's what I mostly got from it elsewhere online:
I made the movie as a way to pass the time during the pandemic and occupy my kids and it grew into a feature. I love giant critter movies and wanted to make one, that's it. It's a lot of fun, I hope some of you give it a try.
That's from the guy who made it allegedly, I read it over on the Classic Horror Film Board.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Vakanai wrote:the Classic Horror Film Board.
Damn that place is still around? I used to post there back in the 2000s.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

The Octopus wrote:
Vakanai wrote:the Classic Horror Film Board.
Damn that place is still around? I used to post there back in the 2000s.
Yep. I joined there a couple years back, it seems to be still very active.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Vakanai wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:I think that I'm to blame for this, as I pointed out in a months ago that the comics for Gorgo,Konga and Reptilicus are in the public domain. I didn't know that it would lead to this.
Actually covid is to blame for this. As I understand it, it was made because someone was stuck at home with nothing to do, so this was a fun at home project. Which... I can't hate it if that's true. It's less a horrible cash grab business thing and more someone making the best of a horrible time, and then somehow managing to sell it afterwards.

Take it with a grain of salt, but that's what I mostly got from it elsewhere online:
I made the movie as a way to pass the time during the pandemic and occupy my kids and it grew into a feature. I love giant critter movies and wanted to make one, that's it. It's a lot of fun, I hope some of you give it a try.
That's from the guy who made it allegedly, I read it over on the Classic Horror Film Board.
Well ok then, I'm off the hook.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Hmm, why not. This new Konga could be a pretty fun movie and to be fair we weren't going to be a more "serious" Konga movie anytime in the near future anyway

So I see this as an absolute win!

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

ROMG4 wrote:Hmm, why not. This new Konga could be a pretty fun movie and to be fair we weren't going to be a more "serious" Konga movie anytime in the near future anyway

So I see this as an absolute win!
Me too. Even if it's not a good movie, it was made by a guy during lockdown to occupy his kids. If someone can make a cheap monster movie under those conditions, it might inspire more people to try and make films in their basements and backyards. There's a kind of charm behind more amateur, fan driven projects despite the (very obvious) lack in quality. And the giant monster genre lacks a lot of those kinds of films as opposed to say the superhero genre (so many Batman fan films...).

That said, I don't expect to watch it more than once. While I appreciate that kind of fun and effort, I saw the trailer and it definitely looks like the kind of film someone would be able to make if you gave them a hundred bucks and told them to go make a giant ape picture (that had to be a store bought Halloween gorilla costume, my dad used to have a mask just like it). You get what you pay for as they say.

If nothing else some big Konga fan with more technical skills and money to burn might see this and feel challenged to make one better. A man can dream.

Still, now I wonder what a covid lockdown Reptilicus picture would look like... atrocious, but funny.
(Anyways, now I got to rewatch the real Konga again after all this talk.)