Neon Genesis Evangelion

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I don't want to make it sound pretentious, but I realize that many times I come off that way (something I would like to work on personally, so please call me out if I am). So I want to clarify, there is nothing wrong with wanting to watch giant robots fighting grotesque abominations. People who watch NGE focusing on the psychology and characters aren't inherently smarter, more sophisticated, or "truer" fans than those who watch it for the action sequences (which are beautifully done, and artfully constructed in their own right). And people who find the series unsatisfactory for not thoroughly explaining the narrative it sets up aren't wrong for thinking so. Essentially what I'm trying to get across is while I watch NGE for everything I wrote above, that isn't the "right' way to enjoy it, and watching it for the action isn't the "wrong" way either.
He Jock it Made of Steel

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Woah.
Evangelion: It Can (Not) Be True is a CG short directed by Somei Sun to mark the release of Oppo’s new limited-edition Ace2 EVA smartphone.
Last edited by tbeasley on Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jetty_Jags wrote:I don't want to make it sound pretentious, but I realize that many times I come off that way (something I would like to work on personally, so please call me out if I am). So I want to clarify, there is nothing wrong with wanting to watch giant robots fighting grotesque abominations. People who watch NGE focusing on the psychology and characters aren't inherently smarter, more sophisticated, or "truer" fans than those who watch it for the action sequences (which are beautifully done, and artfully constructed in their own right). And people who find the series unsatisfactory for not thoroughly explaining the narrative it sets up aren't wrong for thinking so. Essentially what I'm trying to get across is while I watch NGE for everything I wrote above, that isn't the "right' way to enjoy it, and watching it for the action isn't the "wrong" way either.
Definitely. I will say the series for being animated has a lot of really striking visuals that take advantage of the medium (versus just having an anime that easily could just be live action).

There's a lot of things that stand out, but Asuka's entrance, where she stands on the air craft carriers in the ocean is one of the greatest things ever.

I can't find an exact frame of animation, but this is what I'm talking about:

Semi-related, but a big issue with NGE is how it's been marketed and beaten to death. There's all sorts of ridiculous tie-in products that make zero sense and as far away as possible from the authors intent than the original series.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Semi-related, but a big issue with NGE is how it's been marketed and beaten to death. There's all sorts of ridiculous tie-in products that make zero sense and as far away as possible from the authors intent than the original series.
Gainax and Khara have to pay the bills somehow.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah i agree with Jetty, but i just wanted to mention, i liked everything about the series, minus the progress of Shinji.

Everything else settled perfectly for me.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Jetty_Jags wrote:I don't want to make it sound pretentious, but I realize that many times I come off that way (something I would like to work on personally, so please call me out if I am). So I want to clarify, there is nothing wrong with wanting to watch giant robots fighting grotesque abominations. People who watch NGE focusing on the psychology and characters aren't inherently smarter, more sophisticated, or "truer" fans than those who watch it for the action sequences (which are beautifully done, and artfully constructed in their own right). And people who find the series unsatisfactory for not thoroughly explaining the narrative it sets up aren't wrong for thinking so. Essentially what I'm trying to get across is while I watch NGE for everything I wrote above, that isn't the "right' way to enjoy it, and watching it for the action isn't the "wrong" way either.
Definitely. I will say the series for being animated has a lot of really striking visuals that take advantage of the medium (versus just having an anime that easily could just be live action).
I agree that liking or disliking NGE, and the manner in which one watches it, doesn't have to mean anything about one's intellect. If anything, I'd simply argue NGE wants to ultimately challenge its viewers with its themes beyond being another standard "heroes vs monsters" show.
That said, it DOES deliver some pretty cool, and diverse, action pieces. Asuka's aforementioned arrival with EVA-02 atop the aircraft carriers is definitely a highlight, as is the following battle with Gaghiel. Back when I first saw the show, I had trouble getting used to the bizarre forms of the angels; but now I really appreciate how unique each attack/counter is from each other. As much as I enjoy the Ultra shows, sometimes their formula can start to turn redundant.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I will agree that without it's weird symbolisms or whatever Eva would just be another Ultraman clone that wouldn't be anything special, but even with the depressing tone, i still felt like it was a chore to watch. Not even a good chore either, just something i would have to force myself to trudge through, i honestly think the only thing keeping me invested in it was the animation and my ever-so slightly going up investment of the characters. But i still feel like the show is overrated and i'm not adding to it's praise.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

In case you didn't see these -

And Anno turns 60 -

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tbeasley wrote:In case you didn't see these -
Loving that one with the X face.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

It says Mk.10 but I'm getting Mass Production vibes -
Last edited by tbeasley on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

His shirt says Ultraman 60, then himself. Glad to see Anno Is occasionally actually interested in making his own designs for Eva and engaging in it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

This was mentioned already, briefly, in the general Anime and Manga thread, but so it doesn't get totally buried - GKIDS has obtained the original series!
https://mobile.twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/s ... 9005548544
GKIDS Films wrote:GKIDS is proud to announce the acquisition of the North American home video and theatrical rights to NEON GENESIS EVANGELION.

Properties included:
▸ NEON GENESIS EVANGELION (26 ep. TV series)
▸ EVANGELION: DEATH (TRUE)²
▸ THE END OF EVANGELION

----

Coming to Blu-ray (including an Ultimate Edition) and on Digital Download-to-Own in 2021, marking the 1st time #Evangelion will be available on Blu-ray in N. America.

----

http://evangelion.gkids.com
Time will tell how comprehensive of a set this will be, but I'm sure GKIDS will do their best to make this a slam-dunk.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I'm really hoping they're allowed to do a new subtitle translation (or at least revise Khara's), that they get "Fly Me to the Moon," and that they're able to include the ADV dub. The last point isn't really a deal-breaker for me, since I prefer the Japanese voice acting to either dub, but y'know.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Very happy to hear this. I do have a copy of the Platinum collection before it costed an arm and leg, but it's great to know a new release will be ready soon.
Resized Image

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I'm really hoping they're allowed to do a new subtitle translation (or at least revise Khara's), that they get "Fly Me to the Moon," and that they're able to include the ADV dub. The last point isn't really a deal-breaker for me, since I prefer the Japanese voice acting to either dub, but y'know.
Yeah, I'm not mich of a dubs guy myself - and I haven't heard either dub for Eva - but I always appreciate when a release is as comprehensive as possible, so that the option is at least there.
I DEFINITELY hope "Fly Me to the Moon" gets restored; the show just isn't complete without it.

I hadn't realized this, but apparently Funimation's license for the Rebuild films is also expiring, or has already; so speculation is starting that maybe GKIDS will pick up those too...?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Yeah, I've seen people suggesting they might handle 3.0+1.0. I think Funi's 1.11 is out of print now. I doubt it's anything deliberate or vindictive, but they really do seem like they're expanding into a lot of Funimation's territory -- first grabbing the follow-up to Your Name, now this.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I'm guessing they just saw a good business opportunity. Weathering with You had a good theatrical run under GKIDS, and I wouldn't be surprised if those sales (and Trigger's Promare, which also did well) helped them pay for the Eva license. :lol:

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Well, there's also the fact that Khara may have been actively looking for a new US distributor. They were apparently not pleased about how 3.0 was handled and made Funimation totally redo the dub, holding up the home release for like three years.

(This is just my theory, but Khara getting more hands-on and exerting more control over Funimation's presentation of the film might also account for why the 3.33 Blu-ray uses an untouched Japanese copy of the film, whereas 1.11 and 2.22 had title cards and credits redone in English. I'd be interested to know whether the original dub screened at NYCC also used similar English visuals)
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Ooh... this will be something to keep an eye on. I've never seen this show, don't want to pirate it, and have been holding off on the Netflix version as I'd like to see it with the music intact. If this Blu-ray includes "Fly Me to the Moon" and isn't prohibitively overpriced, I'm buying the hell out of it. I've wanted to see this thing for years, even more so lately since I've been seeing a bunch of merch and stuff floating around.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

New trailer!
Resized Image