Query: Was Megaguirus based on TriStar's Queen B

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
BiitoreinGoji94
Ronin

Query: Was Megaguirus based on TriStar's Queen B

Post by BiitoreinGoji94 »

This is not to make a false equivalence. If anyone here knows of any production notes from Toho or any official interviews that can confirm this, please let me know.
Last edited by BiitoreinGoji94 on Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Re: Query: Was Megaguirus based on TriStar's Queen B

Post by UltramanGoji »

It wasn't. It was based on the Meganulon from the original Rodan.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I thought I was the only one who noticed all the similarities.

Whenever I read that script and its parts with "Queen Bitch", I personally just imagine Megaguirus every time.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Personally, she reminds me more of Skeetera. By the way, I'm probably tripping right now but isn't Meg a better fit for Godzilla than Mothra? Not that I ship the two (just yet) but her absorbing Godzilla's DNA might make her more... um, biologically compatible if you know what I'm getting at.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I doubt you'll ever find production memos or interviews that confirm it. However, I think it's possible that the decision to have Godzilla fight a flying insect monster with a large swarm was inspired by Tab Murphy's treatment, which was submitted on October 19, 1999 (a few months before the release of G2K). You could argue that Toho has a history of borrowing concepts from others' Godzilla media...

Guy Tucker submitted a script for the 1986 Godzilla 2 contest, which included a young psychic girl and Godzilla (glowing red from radiation) laying waste to Hong Kong. His was one of apparently many that included a psychic girl (the genesis for the Miki Saegusa character). Godzilla vs. Destoroyah opens with Burning Godzilla destroying Hong Kong.

"G-Force" originated with Dark Horse's "Godzilla Color Special" (September 1992). A similar organization (with the exact same name) was introduced in the Toho films in 1993. Speaking of Dark Horse, their final Godzilla issue (#16, Sep. 1996) featured Godzilla travelling back in time to the late Cretaceous and fighting a space monster "intent on driving the dinosaurs to an early extinction." ROM3 (1998) has Mothra travel back in time to the Cretaceous to fight a space monster that was responsible for the dinosaurs' extinction.

Steve Ryfle also noted that The Return of Godzilla stole elements from the earlier Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3-D script, including at least an orbiting satellite which launches a nuclear missile at Godzilla (and probably others I'm forgetting).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Well, I felt like Orga was based on both Gamera and the Tristar Zilla, so I guess its possible.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GojiDog wrote:Well, I felt like Orga was based on both Gamera and the Tristar Zilla, so I guess its possible.
Source?

Added in 1 minute 46 seconds:
Terasawa wrote:-
I don't doubt Toho can and has borrowed or repurposed ideas for their films, but the issue I take here is that both creatures are designed on generic things.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
GojiDog wrote:Well, I felt like Orga was based on both Gamera and the Tristar Zilla, so I guess its possible.
Source?
No source. I didn't mean to imply that was actually what happened. Its just something I've always assumed.

The look and design of Orga looks to me like a hybrid of Gamera (turtle-esque body shape) and the TriStar Zilla (face and skin texture) with the idea of it trying to become a Godzilla clone being a mockery of those other things. Also, the UFO being the main villain seems like a thinly veiled jab at Emmerich and Devlin who famously made Independence Day.

Kill all white men.

BiitoreinGoji94
Ronin

Post by BiitoreinGoji94 »

Gamera and Zilla? I think Orga bears more resemblance to the Rancor from Return of the Jedi.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

BiitoreinGoji94 wrote:
Gamera and Zilla? I think Orga bears more resemblance to the Rancor from Return of the Jedi.
I don't know about Gamersa but it was specifically said that Orga's face was modeled after the TriStar Godzilla.

UltramanGoji wrote:It wasn't. It was based on the Meganulon from the original Rodan.
Gonna need proof here, chief.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
BiitoreinGoji94 wrote:
I don't know about Gamersa but it was specifically said that Orga's face was modeled after the TriStar Godzilla.

UltramanGoji wrote:It wasn't. It was based on the Meganulon from the original Rodan.
I can see the Rancor thing. The similarities are there, but I doubt it was deliberate.

As for the Gamera comparison, Orga's body is a little turtle-ly shaped. He's not a turtle, but the humped back kind of makes him look like he has a shell, and the head shape kind of looks like Gamera too.

Kill all white men.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Proof of what? Proof that it wasn't based on the Queen Bitch? That it was based on the Meganulon?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Proof of what? Proof that it wasn't based on the Queen skreeonk? That it was based on the Meganulon?
Meganulon.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Proof of what? Proof that it wasn't based on the Queen skreeonk? That it was based on the Meganulon?
Meganulon.
Genuinely surprised you didn't know this but here:

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Meganulon#Development

The larval form of Megaguirus is an updated version of the Meganulon insects from the original Rodan.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Meganulon.
Genuinely surprised you didn't know this but here:

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Meganulon#Development

The larval form of Megaguirus is an updated version of the Meganulon insects from the original Rodan.
Oh, I knew about that. I thought you meant the Queen B was inspired by Meganulon. Sorry about that.