The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Post by BlankAccount »

Birdman wrote:At this point, Alien, Predator and Terminator are dead. Fox has run them into the ground with their terrible decisions and hunger for money.
At this point I don't think I want a live action Terminator vs Robocop anymore.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Don't worry, now that Disney's in charge they won't milk them for HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Sorry, I couldn't type that with a straight face.

RIP Evan.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Living Corpse wrote:
Birdman wrote:At this point, Alien, Predator and Terminator are dead. Fox has run them into the ground with their terrible decisions and hunger for money.
At this point I don't think I want a live action Terminator vs Robocop anymore.
I've often held this belief that if Arnold didn't enter politics and quit acting during the early 2000s, there would have been a RoboCop vs Terminator. After Freddy vs Jason, and AVP, seemed like the logical thing to do.

Perhaps in an alternate 2005 or 2006, there was such a film.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Don't worry, now that Disney's in charge they won't milk them for HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

*head desk*

Please just let the franchises I grew up with die with some dignity.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Don't worry, now that Disney's in charge they won't milk them for HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

*Cringes*

Kill me... -_-

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Nah, I don't believe any franchise is ever dead, they just need one genuinely good film again - whether they'll ever get such a good film again is another question.

Added in 2 minutes 2 seconds:
Living Corpse wrote:

*head desk*

Please just let the franchises I grew up with die with some dignity.
There's no dignity in going away or dying for a franchise - just ignore the new stuff until something good comes along again.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Vakanai wrote:There's no dignity in going away or dying for a franchise - just ignore the new stuff until something good comes along again.
When it comes to stupidity enduring in a film like The Predator (2018) there is.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Its very easy to write a good Predator/Robocop/Terminator/Alien film, there's a vast universe of content to pick and choose from. Predators 2010 was a solid film, wish we'd get a sequel to that. At least in context a Super Predator/ Predator with 4 arms would make sense.

I know I make it sound like it's easy peesy, it's hard of course, filmmaking always is, but at the end of the day, don't tell me you can't come up with a better idea than "Predator, but then he's killed by a super predator who preys on little autistic boys"
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote:Its very easy to write a good Predator/Robocop/Terminator/Alien film
It is literally never easy to write a good film of any kind. The reason that 90% of everything is crap isn't because creators are lazy; it's because creating art and entertainment is perpetually an up-hill battle.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

eabaker wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Its very easy to write a good Predator/Robocop/Terminator/Alien film
It is literally never easy to write a good film of any kind. The reason that 90% of everything is crap isn't because creators are lazy; it's because creating art and entertainment is perpetually an up-hill battle.
Yeah I reworded what I said a bit better. (I think)

Filmmaking is a difficult process, but the ideas are there, and normally a writer's room can toss out the ridiculous ideas. I have no clue how they strayed so far with The Predator 2018.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Yeah I reworded what I said a bit better. (I think)

Filmmaking is a difficult process, but the ideas are there, and normally a writer's room can toss out the ridiculous ideas. I have no clue how they strayed so far with The Predator 2018.
Definitely made your point clearer!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote:I have no clue how they strayed so far with The Predator 2018.
Because the Shane Black is an idiot and he also hired idiots to write the script and produce the movie.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Vakanai wrote:There's no dignity in going away or dying for a franchise - just ignore the new stuff until something good comes along again.
When it comes to stupidity enduring in a film like The Predator (2018) there is.
Not really - again, ignoring the crappy films while you wait for something worthwhile is an option. The franchise can always survive and be there when someone right comes along later, until then what does it hurt to just ignore the clunkers? They can't undo the original superior films and the fact you saw them done right.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

NECA presents their 100th Pred release. The Ultimate Alpha Predator. Which utilizes a mask design based on the original Predator suit design that Jean Claude Van Damme sported in the first flick. But abandoned for the one we all know ,and love today.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/toys/3601 ... e-costume/
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

^Ah. That's cool, i guess..

I feel no excitement for anything Alien or Predator related anymore, that's why that came out so weak.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I have no clue how they strayed so far with The Predator 2018.
Because the Shane Black is an idiot and he also hired idiots to write the script and produce the movie.
It didn't help that he hired an actual predator (pedophile) to star in the film.

No seriously, he did.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I guess because my bar was so low but I still liked The Predator 2018. Wasn't anywhere near the other films but I enjoyed it for what it was.

I think we'll see Alien and Predator eventually from Disney as the films can still make money with the right team behind them.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

The One and Only wrote:NECA presents their 100th Pred release. The Ultimate Alpha Predator. Which utilizes a mask design based on the original Predator suit design that Jean Claude Van Damme sported in the first flick. But abandoned for the one we all know ,and love today.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/toys/3601 ... e-costume/
It's definitely very cool. But Jesus H Mother Fucking Christ, where is the goddamn Wolf Predator?!?! They've had that fucker completed since 2017!
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Dark Horse announced that May will bring us an adaptation the original draft of the classic PREDATOR'S script by John and James Thomas.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/comics/36 ... ic-series/
Likewise Dan O'Bannon's original screenplay to the first ALIEN will also be seeing from Dark Horse an adaptation to the four color page.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/comics/36 ... creenplay/
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Wow, that's super cool! Very intriguing too.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos