Soundtrack Speculation (Composer, Songs, Godzilla Theme)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Zilla103192
Keizer

Soundtrack Speculation (Composer, Songs, Godzilla Theme)

Post by Zilla103192 »

The last thing discussed In the old forums was the possible soundtrack...

Do with that what you will...

EDIT: I'm changing this from an "general official" discussion, as this whole forum is for discussing the film until it comes out. This can be about the soundtrack.
- Arbok
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Re: Official Legendary Pictures Godzilla Discussion

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

I'm rather pleased we have a whole subsection for the site now.

Anyways, I do not like the idea of having a rock or rap score for this movie. It feels out of place and would make the film seem disturbingly removed from its original source material. The only film to do this so far was GFW and every time those horrid tracks were played my ears hurt.

I do not mind if a rock song plays during the credits or maybe a snippet of instrumental peice is thrown in here or there, but overall I want a traditional orchestrated or choir score for this film.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Re: Official Legendary Pictures Godzilla Discussion

Post by g2kmaster »

I say classical with BOC at the end. Do it in similar fasion to Iron Man.
Last edited by g2kmaster on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Re: Soundtrack Discussion

Post by Arbok »

Hans Zimmer would be a good choice for the soundtrack. He does well with creating energetic pieces.

David Arnold wouldn't be a bad choice either, as he did a good job with the soundtrack to GODZILLA (1998). However, I bet they will avoid any and all comparison with that film, so its highly unlikely he would be back.

Ramin Djawadi I assume is a possibility, since he did the Clash of the Titans score by Legendary Pictures. I kind of hope its not, as I felt his attempt with Iron Man was simply so-so, but I would wager the score would still be enjoyable under his helm.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Hellspawn28 wrote:If Burton does direct this movie then the chances are that Danny Elfman will end up doing the soundtrack.
Pretty much, and Elfman would be a dream choice. Everyone of his soundtracks has at least one theme that's excellent. I will keep my fingers crossed for him.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Somewhat OT, but there's actual rumors of Tim Burton doing it? I'd like to see his take but I'm somewhat shocked.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Personally, I hope Hans Zimmer (or someone like him) scores the film. After just watching Inception, I realize that his music really amplifies the actions of the film, and make everything seem even more grand and spectacular. I don't get that from most film composers, so here's hoping that Zimmer is the composer of the next Godzilla film.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

John Williams could make a pretty epic and wetdreamish Godzilla score, but he's unlikely to score as much as Spielberg is unlikely to direct. On the realm of possible; Hans Zimmer, Michael Giachinno and Thomas Newman are good choices. Maybe Christopher Young if it's going to be a scary/evil Godzilla.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I said it before and I'll say it again: Hans Zimmer.

But, no matter who scores, I want the music to be big, epic, and awe-inspiring. I want it to bring Godzilla to life.

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

Post by tokyostateofmind »

Being an AVID film score listener, reviewer I can talk about this all day. A score that I would like. Something along the lines of Iron Man meets Hans Zimmer. I remember watching an interview with the composer of Iron Man 2 and he was talking about how there was a metal/rock influence on this orchestral score because of the whole Iron Man, metal superhero aspect. I personally love the GFW score. Not for the movie, but because of the cues and the synth music (prog rock/metal \m/) Emerson is one of the greatest (ELP) and i have respect for him as a musician. I agree with the fact that this score is NOT suitable for Godzilla's 50th. But i mean, I definitely want rock influences, little use of synth and decent usage of guitar and drums. More importantly is the use of an epic orchestra. My favorite word is epic. My wishes for this movie is that everything is epic. The score, the film, the creature, the story. I am sure Legendary will deliver. But I am sure there will be a "theme song" from a musical artist or motif. I definitely seeing collaborations on the score, but on the major side. Orchestral Epicness FTW. A Synthesized score no, rock influenced score yes.

On Burton and Elfman, where is the Time for Burton to do this movie when he is directing Monsterocalypse (sp?) with a due date of the same year as Godzilla will be released. I am a huge fan of Elfman for a Godzilla movie. Not my first choice, his music suits the mood of Burtonesque movies, and Godzilla isn't Burtonesque in my view.

and um...
Rap = death. But, Slipknot plus orchestra minus the heavy equals maybe.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Though Come With Me was okay IMO, not another rapper/guitarist collab. Not in a serious, respectful Godzilla movie. I'd say get some Ifukube elements in there, and get David Arnold, maybe. The movie sucked, but G98's score was pretty damn amazing, I'd say. Or perhaps John Williams. (Or, in terms of Japanese composers, Michiru Oshima or Takayuki Hattori.)
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

I don't want any rap or rock or metal in the G film. Pure orchestral scores is what Godzilla needs. We don't need heavy music to populate evry single action film.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Jamitor27
Samurai

Post by Jamitor27 »

I would like a classic orchestral soundtrack. I think John Williams would be awesome but also Michael Giachinno(sp?) could be great. If I'm not mistaken he did the song "roar" for Cloverfield which had that classic Kaiju sound to it. He definitely did Star Trek which was an awesome soundtrack. But I think the classic Godzilla theme is a must. Even if it's just for the credits is fine but it would be awesome for him to rise out of the water for the first time with his theme playing.

the H-man cometh
Yojimbo

Post by the H-man cometh »

LP would be wise to go after Hans Zimmer

After seeing inception... :shock: :dizzy: :huge: ... yeah I'd say he's best choice by far.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

While I find Hans Zimmers scores to be kinda' on the dullish side, his tendency to use booming bass (IE: Inception trailer) is to appropriate for Godzilla not to use.

Craig Armstrong. He did the Incredible Hulk and I wouldn't mind seeing some of the stuff he used there (IE: an Organ in an old school horror movie fashion).
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

xenotactics
Monarch Researcher

Post by xenotactics »

I really hope that work a few of the classic themes in, even if disguised considerably.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

TokyoVigilante wrote:Craig Armstrong. He did the Incredible Hulk and I wouldn't mind seeing some of the stuff he used there (IE: an Organ in an old school horror movie fashion).
Good call, I love his Incredible Hulk soundtrack as well. The Hulk theme was good, but it was really his music for the final battle which is simply outstanding. Great stuff, and one of the my favorite scores.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I think any of the big names of today would be a good choice: John Williams, James Horner, Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, Alan Silvestri, Christopher Young, John Powell, Howard Shore, Michael Giacchino or even Danny Elfman.

Personally, I'd like to see Aaron Zigman doing the score. He's done some very nice scores, like The Notebook, Bridge to Terabithia and Flash of Genius. His work on BTT is especially memorable, and he managed to compose a few good action-oriented cues for it too.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

I like Hans Zimmer, personally. He does a lot of really powerful scores, but he's got a lot of diversity, too. I'll be honest though, I don't pay much attention to whom gets the credit for what scores.

And I said it before. If the soundtrack doesn't include Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla in SOME way... it is made of fail.
Proud father, husband, and son.

Megaton17
Monarch Researcher

Post by Megaton17 »

I could definitely see James Newton Howard scoring this film