What News Do You Hope To Be Announced This Year? (ver. 1)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
tenup
G-Force Personnel

Re: Best that could happen in 2012

Post by tenup »

^I do feel a sense of entitlement when I'm someone who has invested so much into the franchise as a consumer. Take a sports team for example. A fan who supports their home team always has a sense of entitlement to have the team deliver something successful. LP is/was the team who has my favorite player... Godzilla, and they haven't done anything with him. Now what do you expect me to do? I understand there is a lot of work that goes into it I get that. My point is we have nothing so far so nothing is for certain at this point. I don't mean to come off as whinny but yes I'm bitter.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

^Good point Tyler. That could be the very reason why this movie is so delayed.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

tenup wrote:^I do feel a sense of entitlement when I'm someone who has invested so much into the franchise as a consumer.

That doesn't give you any kind of right to have a say or be given private contractual and likely premature information. Unless you're secretly a hardcore collector who doesn't partake actively in that particular clique of the fandom, I know for a fact that there are tons of people who have invested far more then you (or myself, for that matter) who could not give less of a shit about this project. And if they do, they don't feel a sense of unwarranted and premature outrage enough to want to boycott LP films.
Now what do you expect me to do? I understand there is a lot of work that goes into it I get that. My point is we have nothing so far so nothing is for certain at this point. I don't mean to come off as whinny but yes I'm bitter.
You shouldn't expect anything at this point. They're taking their time, trying to get this right and pick up the pieces of a tarnished reputation. That takes careful timing and marketing gusto. This is what Godzilla fans should be happy about; not some hotshot American Film studio seeing a fast buck on an easy Happy Meals stuffer and merchandising icon, but something that is worthy of taking time. The only reason you're bitter is because you didn't get what you wanted when you wanted it and quite frankly, that's just plain juvenile.

I'd hate to see the doomsaying you'd do if you ever caught on that Legendary Pictures is probably going to use the very Godzilla-esque Pacific Rim to gauge audience receptivity to a modern giant monster film and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get any major major developments until after critics and money is counted from Pacific Rim.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

^ I agree, I do get the sense that Legendary may be using Pacific Rim to test the waters and see how a giant monster movie of that scale would fare with a general audience of today. Perhaps PR's success would pave the way for Legendary to put Godzilla into actual production for a summer 2014 release.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

Tokyo Im going to take a break from this virtual arguement. Im too upset to continue trying to make a point. Just a small addition I want to add, I didn't mean I was personally entitled to information from LP I was stating this from all the fanboys perspective.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

Honestly, the BEST thing that could happen in 2012, would that the movie would be released and it actually turns out good.

But we all know the possibility of that...
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

*chuckle*
Yeah, I was thinking something like that too.

Anyway, if we get ANYTHING at all, I'll probably be happy.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Patience my fellow members, LP will do what Tristar failed. But you can't rush perfection.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Something to remember too-

Transformers was planned back in 2003

The Avengers was planned back in 2008

Godzilla was announced in 2010. It is going to get there. Obviously they're taking their time to make sure its a good movie but my best guess is they are going to turn this into a successful franchise so theyre wanting to get all the pieces in place. Legendary im sure is NOT wanting to test the waters with Pacific Rim because Godzilla was planned before that movie.

They wouldnt be spending all of this time and money all for nothing.

My best guess is it comes out 2014 for the 60th anniversary
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

Tormentor
Interpol Agent

Re: What News Do You Hope To Be Announced This Year?

Post by Tormentor »

Anyone betting that we won't hear anything until Comic Con 2012? Seems a bit much I know, but it is a possibility.

I just hope no poor G-fan goes to the LP panel sitting through long speeches of information about other projects, only to hear nothing at all about Godzilla. :shock:

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

gatorzilla wrote:Something to remember too-

Transformers was planned back in 2003

The Avengers was planned back in 2008

Godzilla was announced in 2010. It is going to get there. Obviously they're taking their time to make sure its a good movie but my best guess is they are going to turn this into a successful franchise so theyre wanting to get all the pieces in place. Legendary im sure is NOT wanting to test the waters with Pacific Rim because Godzilla was planned before that movie.

They wouldnt be spending all of this time and money all for nothing.

My best guess is it comes out 2014 for the 60th anniversary
I am agreeing with what you said.

Even though a movie is announced, it doesn't absolutely mean we'll get it within the exact timeframe that was first announced. Having the film come out closer to Godzilla's 60th anniversary makes more sense, ten years after Godzilla: Final Wars, and enough time for the memory of GINO to fade away (believe me, I know people who remember GINO all too clearly to this day and believe that it's 'superior' to the 'rubber suited' Godzilla, which is a load of hooey). \

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

Learning from what happened to Godzilla when Tristar had the rights, waiting a longer period for a movie's release doesn't guarantee anything. And this is where the worry comes from. I mean what if Gareth Edwards is replaced by Rolland Emmerich? Surely that wouldn't be the best to happen in 2012

bearijuana
GPN Volunteer

Post by bearijuana »

I just want something man. This movie has to come out, the fans need it - We are dying.

This movie could be very important for not only us fans but the rest of the audience and the movie industry. Right now there has not been a major movie picture with modern special effects that has depicted giant monsters batting. Sure you could call King kong and a few other recent movies that. But I'm talking bout a big huge fuckin monster bash. It hasn't been done yet with modern special effects. Godzilla could capatalize on that in this movie. I'm talking an all out brawl!

Some think Pacific Tim will beat it to the punch but I've heard pacific rim Is being aimed for a G rating, meaning it will most likely target a different audience than the most likely darker rodzilla PG-13 audience. This now makes since to me why the same company would put out two monster fighting movies around the same time, because I know realize they are not competing against themselves, they're not targeting the same audience, and thus not the same market.

I trust Gareth Edwards, I really do. I hope this movie comes out soon. Whether sooner or later I believe Gareth, Legendary & co. Will deliver a real treat. Im looking for some teaser posters, trailers, etc. Towards the end of this year, maybe sooner depending upon their targeted release day. I'm just hoping sooner rather than later, but I trust they won't rush this either way, and that it will be delivered for a perfect date that is just right for the market, to generate hype, and to blow whatever other movies will be released around the same time out of the theatres.

Im going to go out on a limb and say Gareth is going to blow this out of the water, and make are minds fucking explode out of Sheer Godzilla epicniss! I expect to be mindfucked by how awesome it will be when a guy as talented as him on a shoestring budget gets $60-120million to direct the movie of his dreams. I really believe he is the fan he says he is.

Picture it, in another world what the movie industy would look like without Godzilla, and what us - as viewers would never have had the privilege to have had seen:

No Gamera.
No Cloverfield.
None of the other classic Toho Monsters, we have come to love.
No countless others 50s-70s campy sci-fi monster/mutation films, that dominated B-Movie cinema for oh so long, that we have come to guiltily adore.

Just think for a moment...

I wouldn't want to live in that world would you? That's why this movie needs to be made. Godzilla is important to the industry. Hell, maybe he'll start a whole new trend of Giant monster films to add on to the quickly and ever growing Sci-Fi audience. Sci-Fi is currently enjoying quite a bit of renewed interest in the industry right now.

So how about it Godzilla? Will you deliver? I don't know, it's too early to tell, but things are shaping up to look so, and Legendary & co. and Gareth keep me satisfied by saying all the right things. So in the meantime give me some damn announcements and information Legendary! Please!? So I will still be confident this movie is going to deliver and continue to deliver the way it is currently set to, and has so far.
Last edited by bearijuana on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
TK's Biggest Druggie

fucck this shit im a samurai

Imma mothervuckin milluhnaire

"If your good at sumthing never do it for free"

"Im an agent of chaos"

bearijuana
GPN Volunteer

Post by bearijuana »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:
Picture it, in another world what the movie industy would look like without Godzilla, and what us - as viewers would never have had the privilege to have had seen:

No King Kong in this World.
King Kong (1933)

Godzilla (1954)

So, what are you saying, here? That we wouldn't have the King Kong remakes? They would likely have happened with or without Godzilla's existence bolstering interest in the genre. Kong is a classic in his own right, and Hollywood wouldn't have let him rest forever.
Sorry about that dude, I had a brainfart. Thanks for pointing it out, don't know why I put King Kong there.

I remember Tanaka saying King Kong influenced him now too, so I really messed up there. Just had classic Movie monsters on the mind bro.
TK's Biggest Druggie

"Im an agent of chaos"

GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/53983

anybody that lives in Chicago go to this screening and nag the crap out of him.

bearijuana
GPN Volunteer

Post by bearijuana »

GodzillaIsCool wrote:http://www.aintitcool.com/node/53983

anybody that lives in Chicago go to this screening and nag the crap out of him.
Nice find!

But this scares me, they mention a lot of new films Gareth Edwards is directing, or is about to direct (ones that I previously never heard he was involved in), but there is no mention of his involvement in directing Godzilla! I'm worried! Is he off the project!? Is that the reason for the lull in news? Are they trying and looking for a new director?
TK's Biggest Druggie

"Im an agent of chaos"

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

I think they are talking another guy named Gareth Evans not Gareth Edwards
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

bearijuana
GPN Volunteer

Post by bearijuana »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:I think they are talking another guy named Gareth Evans not Gareth Edwards
Oh... Thanks, that explains a lot, I didn't think I'd ever heard Edwards being a part of any of those movies.
TK's Biggest Druggie

"Im an agent of chaos"

Godzilla1703
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla1703 »

The final look and the monsters he fights (If any, which i hope not)
Shadow Arena History: Wins: 37(I'm heading for 50 :D) Losses: 26
Chris55 wrote:
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:^

Wont see that shit in Godzilla.
We did. A whole movie was based around it. It was called "GINO".

:)

bearijuana
GPN Volunteer

Post by bearijuana »

Living Corpse wrote:
Godzilla1703 wrote:The final look and the monsters he fights (If any, which i hope not)
Edwards himself has said in past interviews that there will be at least one other monster.

So yeah.
No, only Brian Rogers said that, and it was years ago...
Like 2009 or 2010.
TK's Biggest Druggie

"Im an agent of chaos"