Soundtrack Speculation (Composer, Songs, Godzilla Theme)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Re: Soundtrack Discussion

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Electronic has an absurdly vast range, just by it's nature. I'm not talking a full industrial/electronic score, I mean a blend of those two. Electronic can give you something really cold, modern, harsh, powerful and distinctly atmospheric.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

I know. I'm not dissing the genre. For example, it worked really well in The Social Network, and looks to do the same in Tron: Legacy. However, I'm not sure if it would fit Godzilla. Would I open some atypical score for this film? Certainly, but only if it fits the story the film wishes to take.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

phaz0ngoji
Interpol Agent

Post by phaz0ngoji »

I know. I'm not dissing the genre. For example, it worked really well in The Social Network, and looks to do the same in Tron: Legacy. However, I'm not sure if it would fit Godzilla. Would I open some atypical score for this film? Certainly, but only if it fits the story the film wishes to take.
Well said. I think Godzilla needs a classical score, and electronic moments could work, but only if done well, and PLEASE PLEASE no rock/metal/rap bullshit. I love me some metal but please, just no.

Godzilla needs a powerful score that will make things all the more epic.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Steve Jablonsky would be nice too to be honest. I really liked his score for the first Transformers.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

G-Man1989
Yojimbo

Post by G-Man1989 »

DaikaijuSokogeki! wrote:I LOVED Ramin Djawadi's Iron Man score and felt the sequel sorely missed him. Him or Hans Zimmer are my top choices. As for hopeless fan dreams? Kenji Kawai would create an amazing Godzilla soundtrack, just listen to his score for Ultraman Nexus to see what I mean.
Kenji Kawaii would be an awesome choice! Hopefully, Legendary will consider doing the unthinkable in Hollywood and get some Japanese guys who are familiar with the genre to really make it as good as possible.

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

Post by tokyostateofmind »

I want something along the lines of this: http://snd.sc/aJJXyD with a little electric guitar (ala Zimmer) and choir. All wrapped up in Hollywood Goodness!

Starfishman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Starfishman »

This is a long shot but I'm gonna have to say....get John Ottman for the score. His scores for X-Men 2, Usual Suspects & Superman Returns were great.

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

Post by tokyostateofmind »

Tyler wrote:
tokyostateofmind wrote:All wrapped up in Hollywood Goodness!
It exists??
Surprisingly yes. Its rare, but its there.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

I want the guy who made the music for the Transformers movies. I mean-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDFns0LA ... re=related

-that's just epic. It was just bleaphemous that they didn't nominate the score for Best oringinal soundtrack in favour of their typical artsy-fartsy films with scores not quite as inspiring.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I' d also throw in my two cents for Brian Tyler as well. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxZGDC91sWU). I rather enjoyed his scoring on AVP:REQUIEM as well. He also does well mixing the classic as well as the new in RAMBO a few years back. And likwise I enjoyed his tunes in DARKNESS FALLS,DAWN OF THE DEAD'04,and 300.

One thing my brother thought would've been neat to have in G-98 was the classic Blue Oyster Cult single, Go, Go Godzilla thrown in the mix at some point. Have it playing on the radio somewhere in the course of the flick at some point. It should appear in the next flick I believe.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

i would like the soundtrack to be all instrumental except one scene. that scene could have some heavy metal soundtrack by a artist like Metallica.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

The One and Only wrote:One thing my brother thought would've been neat to have in G-98 was the classic Blue Oyster Cult single, Go, Go Godzilla thrown in the mix at some point. Have it playing on the radio somewhere in the course of the flick at some point. It should appear in the next flick I believe.
Not this again.... Dammit people... THINK! If you have that song in the film it gives the impression that Godzilla already exists in the film universe in some way. That should NOT happen at any point. If it's on the soundtrack, fine, no objections. But if the characters in the movie are aware of the song it just raises all kinds of problems.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Well remember in G-98, Godzilla/Gojira was a mythological creature, as the Cannery vessel captain, thought that what was Zilla was upon seeing him. So I could see a rock group using it in a little diddy.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

The One and Only wrote:Well remember in G-98, Godzilla/Gojira was a mythological creature, as the Cannery vessel captain, thought that what was Zilla was upon seeing him. So I could see a rock group using it in a little diddy.
A very obscure mythological creature that nobody in Manhattan had heard of. Why would Blue Oyster Cult have made the song then? Why would they use Godzilla in their music video!? You can't have that song in universe. It's just one more unnecessary problem to explain in the movie.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
The One and Only wrote:Well remember in G-98, Godzilla/Gojira was a mythological creature, as the Cannery vessel captain, thought that what was Zilla was upon seeing him. So I could see a rock group using it in a little diddy.
A very obscure mythological creature that nobody in Manhattan had heard of. Why would Blue Oyster Cult have made the song then? Why would they use Godzilla in their music video!? You can't have that song in universe. It's just one more unnecessary problem to explain in the movie.
Assuming they use the "mythological" aspect, it's quite easy to explain- just don't show the music video.

There're a lot of ways to explain it. Personally, I don't care as long as it IS part of the soundtrack.
Proud father, husband, and son.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

^ guys... its a song... shut up!!

i agree with KL...

and the whole "it cant be in the movie because it causes more problems!" thing...

The iron man song was in Iron Man as well as Iron Man 2... didnt screw the movie up at all...
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

zilla103192 wrote:^ guys... its a song... shut up!!

i agree with KL...

and the whole "it cant be in the movie because it causes more problems!" thing...

The iron man song was in Iron Man as well as Iron Man 2... didnt screw the movie up at all...
In the sound track.... NOT in the movie itself. Tony Stark and the other characters were completely unaware of it. On top of that. The song "Iron Man" is NOT about the marvel character.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Play the tune sans lyrics.

Problem solved.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

To be honest here, I would loe for the soundtrack of this to be variation of the typical Ikufube soundtracks found in the films he scored, with the March of the Monsters and the city rampage team updated to fit American audiences. But I guess that's just a fan's dream....
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

HayesAJones wrote:
Chris55 wrote:Justin Beiber. You guys all want it. Admit it
Only if Godzilla steps on him.
That would be the best scene of the whole film! :D
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1