What is your favorite Monsterverse Godzilla design and why

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What MV Goji Design Do You Prefer?

GareGoji (G14)
31%
DougheGoji (KOTM-???)
69%

Total votes: 39

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

What is your favorite Monsterverse Godzilla design and why

Post by Jermobooka »

From what i’ve seen on other places and in discussions, the vast majority like DougheGoji and prefer it to GareGoji, but here? I’m not so sure. So, as per usual, here’s a poll

My favorite is very, very, very easily DougheGoji. If i explained all the reasons why it’d be an incredibly large wall of text
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: What is your favorite Monsterverse Godzilla design and why

Post by Thatguy4683 »

DougheGoji, because they are able to enhance the design choices of Garegoji that I like

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

DougheGoji is pretty cool. I wish he kept the longer tail like he had in 2014 though, but hey. GvK’s design has less of a stump feeling to it, so I’ll take it.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

I mean, they're both practically the same design. Most people probably look at them and don't even really notice differences. However, with what differences they do have, I'd lean more towards 2014. I personally loved his spikes in 2014 although I wish they were a little bigger. The "elephant feet" never bothered me and honestly much more preferable than some of the god damn clown feet on some of Toho's suits. I think his yellow eyes were better. And I really miss his longer, whip like tail (dumbest change of the design for 2019/2021)

Last edited by Moogabunga on Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

The elephant feet are scientifically speaking the most natural choice for a creature of Godzilla size. Especially one that can swim. Take hippos for example.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

All the people voting for DougheGoji are...

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Dougherty's design would 've been perfect if they just kept the whip tail but generally I think it's the superior design.

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

I prefer the 2014 design. The proportions in the body and spines look more aesthetic to me. Dougherty invokes a lot of nostalgia with the '54 style spines but I think they're too bulky in all the wrong ways unlike the 2000 and 2002/03 designs; they stretch out the proportions of his back and torso too much. Other little things like the scales/plating on the neck I prefer in the 2014 version as well.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'll agree with you guys, I think overall G14 had the more balanced out design. It was new, innovative, it also felt unique to this big Hollywood version. His spines were like jagged pieces of glass in 2014, which could have impaled his enemies from KOTM and GvK. Instead they dulled down the tips of every spine and had them replaced with the OGs.

That's not to say I don't like the Doughegoji. He's up there with the best and does somethings a bit better than 14, like the more arnold-esque build, makes him look like an absolute monster.

Added in 3 minutes 33 seconds:
(This is easily one of the best shots of Godzilla ever.)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I have to agree that 2014 felt like a more cohesive, complete design overall. The following films didn't massively overhaul it but it seemed like they were trying to do things with the design that it ultimately wasn't meant for with no real purpose besides callbacks. It's already Godzilla, that's enough of a callback for me.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

I think viewing Godzilla's scutes as continually growing like antlers is cool. In Dominion there is a panel where it appears he is using the Earth's crust to file them down while swimming. Would be neat if they just had a different style of scute each film because of this.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I love these designs yet see fundamental flaws with them. What I love, I love about both of them. What I have problems with, I have with them more individually.

G14: Elephant feet. Cankles. Little spines. Tail ends too narrow and looks like it could get snipped off.
G19/21: Head too small (this comes from his increased body and spine size, so at least I can rationalize that his head didn’t literally shrink between movies). Tail is too short and the sharp tip was preferable. Spines are the same color as his body, which is a problem now that they’re so big. It seems like KotM and GvK both knew this was a problem as he spends half of each movie with them lit up. Just add a lighter shade there, maybe where it gets bright when it’s charged, the skin is lighter. I dunno, something!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I kind of prefer GareGoji over DougheGoji. I like the dorsal plates better, and the ones on DougheGoji, while a nice callback to the '54 design, look kind of out of place with the rest of the ones he has. It's like they were tacked on and given the groovy bone texture to try and make them fit in. That said, I do like the proportions of DougheGoji better, it makes him look bigger and more imposing,
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Hard for me to say since overall it is essentially the same design. I guess that objectively the 2014 one is more balanced out and unique but fuck it, I can't help but enjoy 19-21. He just feels more "Godzilla" to me, know what i'm saying? The enlarged maple leaf spines, sharper and pronounced claws and the overall more massive and imposing frame make him look like a beast to be reckoned with. I don't even mind the tail change, makes it look more powerful too. I do like how his tip seems less rounded in GvK.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

It's the spines that make Doughegoji win for me. That said, if they ever gave the spines white, bony tips? That would take the cake.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Shoopwoop17 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:05 am It's the spines that make Doughegoji win for me. That said, if they ever gave the spines white, bony tips? That would take the cake.
Agreed on both points. I actually dig how his spines are of a singular color to his body like Crocodilyan osteoderms but I wouldn't mind if they get a more "distinct" hue later on. Not a fan of making them entirely white but lighter tips as you said could be cool.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

I am inclined to say that they are about equal, but I think that is more due to Godzilla 2014's excellent cinematography than anything else. Anything I liked about the 2014 design is better with the 2019/2021 version, minus the fact that the head is a bit too small. So while I think the 2014 design is shown in more dynamic and impactful angles, the actual design of the KOTM/GVK is better.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The 2019 design for sure. It took most of what I didn't like about the 2014 design and improved on it. Wish I could say the same for the films.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

2021 hands down. Essentially it’s the 2019 Godzilla but the tail has gone back to a little more whip like so, to me, it’s the perfect Godzilla and I wouldn’t want any other modifications, no frosted tip dorsal plates, no need for a bigger head, feet are perfect, I love him.
Last edited by KaijuKingGojira on Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

I never had a problem with the elephant feet. I thought it was a good way of emphasizing what a massive behemoth Godzilla is. Frankly, I would’ve preferred that the later films just kept Godzilla’s design as is, if only for the sake of maintaining consistency between films. With that said, I don’t think Godzilla’s designs in KotM and GvK are bad. I just don’t think they were necessary.