Godzilla: Dominion and Kingdom Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Godzilla: Dominion and Kingdom Kong

Post by ebirah_scampi »

Didn't see a dedicated thread for these anywhere. I thought they were great, it was nice seeing Behemoth and Scylla again and Camazotz was a fun opponent for Kong. It was also nice to learn exactly why the storm took over Skull Island.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Godzilla: Dominion and Kingdom Kong

Post by _JNavs_ »

Reading through Dominion now, I think it's fascinating that Godzilla actively lived with humans in his lair rather than by himself.

Added in 2 minutes 46 seconds:EDIT: Whoops the line was "They carry the SCENT of the Deep Hollows, I must have skimmed it on first read and read it as stench.

Regardless, if he believes any creature with that "scent" belongs beneath the earth, he must have a reason

Added in 10 minutes 23 seconds:
Godzilla has his own names for everything,

Mothra = The Winged One
Kong = The Rival
Ghidorah = The Three Headed One
Boats/ships/ any craft = The Metal Beasts
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Still haven't uploaded online. Really wanna read these.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I really want this to be a Gamera reference, because it doesn't seem like a Godzilla statue, but nothing so far implies that it is

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:42 am Reading through Dominion now, I think it's fascinating that Godzilla actively lived with humans in his lair rather than by himself.

Added in 2 minutes 46 seconds:
"They don't belong here, they carry the stench of the Deep Hollows", seems Godzilla despises the Hollow Earth which is why he remains above it.

Mothra = The Winged One
Kong = The Rival
This is all very interesting. Do you think it will be regarded as canon? The fact Godzilla hates Hollow Earth is fascinating. And I wonder if he would still call Kong “The Rival” now, and what he calls Rodan if Mothra is “The Winged One.”

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

plasmabeam wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:56 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:42 am Reading through Dominion now, I think it's fascinating that Godzilla actively lived with humans in his lair rather than by himself.

"They don't belong here, they carry the stench of the Deep Hollows", seems Godzilla despises the Hollow Earth which is why he remains above it.

Mothra = The Winged One
Kong = The Rival
This is all very interesting. Do you think it will be regarded as canon? The fact Godzilla hates Hollow Earth is fascinating. And I wonder if he would still call Kong “The Rival” now, and what he calls Rodan if Mothra is “The Winged One.”
I do think it'll be regarded as canon, due to how well these stories understand their characters, and how well they slip right into the canon. Plus I believe they're being advertised as canon prequel material.

Though on the first page it mentions, "Upcoming Titanthology containing the backstories of Kong and Godzilla with Aftershock and The Birth of Kong!", so it seems like Godzilla: Awakening may no longer be canon.

I wonder if Godzilla considers Kong to be "The Ally" now? Maybe Rodan would be "The Flaming/Fiery One"
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:07 pm

Mothra = The Winged One
Kong = The Rival
I do think it'll be regarded as canon, due to how well these stories understand their characters, and how well they slip right into the canon. Plus I believe they're being advertised as canon prequel material.

Though on the first page it mentions, "Upcoming Titanthology containing the backstories of Kong and Godzilla with Aftershock and The Birth of Kong!", so it seems like Godzilla: Awakening may no longer be canon.

I wonder if Godzilla considers Kong to be "The Ally" now? Maybe Rodan would be "The Flaming/Fiery One"
Interestingly the GvK novelization does outright mention Aftershock stuff in great detail, but it could be just specific points that are canon rather than the whole thing. Maybe Legendary is simply not too proud of it :lol:

Godzilla's designations for the other Titans are kinda neat- simplistic but it figures. Definitely makes me curious if Kong would still be considered the rival by him after the film. I dig how he considers man-made transport actual animals- adds some depth to how he perhaps perceived MG.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:50 am I really want this to be a Gamera reference, because it doesn't seem like a Godzilla statue, but nothing so far implies that it is
Wait what?

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

Mothra = The Winged One
Kong = The Rival
I'm almost positive it will be regarded as canon, I just started listening to the audiobook of GvK and they've already slipped parts of Dominion into it.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:42 am
Is there a reason why he hate the hollow earth?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:01 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:50 am I really want this to be a Gamera reference, because it doesn't seem like a Godzilla statue, but nothing so far implies that it is
Wait what?
The picture attached?

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:09 pm
Thatguy4683 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:01 pm
Wait what?
The picture attached?
Yes, dear I would love it if that was gamera but sadly it isn’t
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Sounds like both books are good to read. :) Hope to get them the first chance I get. Though I've heard some people online got uptight about how the reason why we never saw any of the Titans from KOTM was explained in Dominion as opposed in GvK even though from what I remember KOTM explained in a newspaper clipping that the Titans went back to hibernation.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Oh totally, this book gave some of them stuff to do that we wouldn't have gotten if they went straight from KOTMs ending.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

I just got the both comics and quickly had a look around. Amhuluk and Tiamat are pretty damn strong.... Tiamat seems one of the strongest Titan in water. Given that Godzilla even thought it wouldn't be good if he keep fighting her in water because she is so strong in it. And Godzilla actually struggled a lot.

Amhuluk dominated Behemoth. I don't like this one though. Can't imagine what the hell kind of this creature. I personally think it is a Florafauna which is introduced in Birth of Kong. Hybrid of flora and fauna. It looks like a some kind of tree monster.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Still rather disappointed in Amhuluk's design. Looks more a monster from Pacific Rim and was hoping it'd be like in the myths a green-furred dragon or at the very least a green-furred horned komodo dragon-like titan.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:39 pm Still rather disappointed in Amhuluk's design. Looks more a monster from Pacific Rim and was hoping it'd be like in the myths a green-furred dragon or at the very least a green-furred horned komodo dragon-like titan.
Indeed. It's so disparate among any other Titans. Looks like an alien, invasive species. I can understand the design only if it is really a water plant Florafauna Titan.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

vastatosaurus wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:57 pmIndeed. It's so disparate among any other Titans. Looks like an alien, invasive species. I can understand the design only if it is really a water plant Florafauna Titan.
Plus I through generations of being passed on a story can change, how would such a design like this eventually lead to a green-furred dragon among Oregon Native Americas? :?

Then again maybe the human mind and imagination shouldn't be underestimated...
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

plasmabeam wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:56 am And I wonder if he would still call Kong “The Rival” now, and what he calls Rodan if Mothra is “The Winged One.”
In the novelization, where the part explained from Godzilla's POV, Godzilla describes current Kong as "another ancient enemy, older than the three-headed one, a rivalry written into his very blood and bone."

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

vastatosaurus wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:01 pm
plasmabeam wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:56 am And I wonder if he would still call Kong “The Rival” now, and what he calls Rodan if Mothra is “The Winged One.”
In the novelization, where the part explained from Godzilla's POV, Godzilla describes current Kong as "another ancient enemy, older than the three-headed one, a rivalry written into his very blood and bone."
Can the monsters understand each other?
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!