Godzilla vs Kong novel: The differences between it and the movie

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla vs Kong novel: The differences between it and the movie

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Yet the novel suggest that only Godzilla in the war so that contradicts that so unless an actual movie comes out and says that it's now canon and G14 stats that the Titans travelled underground when surface radiation depleted and this was 2014 years after Brooks Hollow Earth theory was substantiated in Kong Skull Island. The Hollow Earth to me is just a suriving component of that ecosystem it doesn't have to be one way or the other.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:15 am Yet the novel suggest that only Godzilla in the war so that contradicts that so unless an actual movie comes out and says that it's now canon and G14 stats that the Titans travelled underground when surface radiation depleted and this was 2014 years after Brooks Hollow Earth theory was substantiated in Kong Skull Island. The Hollow Earth to me is just a suriving component of that ecosystem it doesn't have to be one way or the other.
>the novel says it was only Godzilla

"He pulled himself up. The time for rest was done. His gaze rested on the gigantic skull of the enemy, the ancient adversary his kind had once driven from this place but never completely defeated. He shrieked his warning, his threat, his growing rage."

Nope, his KIND, not he himself

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:15 am Yet the novel suggest that only Godzilla in the war so that contradicts that so unless an actual movie comes out and says that it's now canon and G14 stats that the Titans travelled underground when surface radiation depleted and this was 2014 years after Brooks Hollow Earth theory was substantiated in Kong Skull Island. The Hollow Earth to me is just a suriving component of that ecosystem it doesn't have to be one way or the other.
I have seen nothing in the novel suggesting that, so if there is someone will need to point to a specific page. I've seen people claiming that's the case, but that's all. In the novel Godzilla thinks of Kong's race as the Ancient Enemy or Rival that "his kind" had driven out "but never truly defeated", not he himself specifically.

Interestingly, it seems what gets Godzilla stirring again in the novelization isn't Mechagodzilla activating but rather Monarch sealing off Kong - he's annoyed not only that Kong isn't asleep, but that he can't tell where he is.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I took it that the Zozlahalwa is simply a "mystification" and demonification of Godzilla's kind to a mythological level, hence why it is regarded as a single entity. Not necessarily that Godzilla went on a blietzerkrieg on his own.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Pkmatrix wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:16 am
I have seen nothing in the novel suggesting that, so if there is someone will need to point to a specific page. I've seen people claiming that's the case, but that's all. In the novel Godzilla thinks of Kong's race as the Ancient Enemy or Rival that "his kind" had driven out "but never truly defeated", not he himself specifically.

Interestingly, it seems what gets Godzilla stirring again in the novelization isn't Mechagodzilla activating but rather Monarch sealing off Kong - he's annoyed not only that Kong isn't asleep, but that he can't tell where he is.
Kind of both

Mecha G got him stirred, but the last kong trying to break political exile did piss him off

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

But still Godzilla is millions of years old the fact that Dominion shows Godzilla swimmimg with marine reptiles like Liopluredon on one page supports that on and before someone say it's set in modern times true marine reptiles need air to breath otherwise is would a glaring scientific issue I would have and in the MV continuity scientists would've discovered them but now coming up for air.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:25 am But still Godzilla is millions of years old the fact that Dominion shows Godzilla swimmimg with marine reptiles like Liopluredon on one page supports that on and before someone say it's set in modern times true marine reptiles need air to breath otherwise is would a glaring scientific issue I would have and in the MV continuity scientists would've discovered them but now coming up for air.
Bruh, the MV still has prehistoric animals

Also, we have irl animals that can dive that deep for hours without having to surface

Again, dominion has Godzilla's earliest memories involving humans and human civilization. Neither of those gets older than 200,000 years.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:25 am But still Godzilla is millions of years old the fact that Dominion shows Godzilla swimmimg with marine reptiles like Liopluredon on one page supports that on and before someone say it's set in modern times true marine reptiles need air to breath otherwise is would a glaring scientific issue I would have and in the MV continuity scientists would've discovered them but now coming up for air.
I took the indication that panel was Godzilla swimming in the hollow earth or at least one of its tunnels and that normal prehistoric animals notably marine reptiles survived their extinction by moving down there.

Whose to say the hollow earth also doesn't have its own ocean as well as lakes and rivers for those marine reptiles to submerge from? We do have palaeontological evidence of species of marine reptiles living in freshwater.

Nothing seems to indicate that panel was over 65 million years ago.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:17 am I took it that the Zozlahalwa is simply a "mystification" and demonification of Godzilla's kind to a mythological level, hence why it is regarded as a single entity. Not necessarily that Godzilla went on a blietzerkrieg on his own.
Exactly, in that scene it's explained that what Jia knows is the simplified children's version of the story they'd tell with shadow puppets as a bedtime story and toward the end of the scene Illene says:

"I think that long ago the creatures you call Zo-Zla-halawa and the family of Kong fought a war. One of your elders said that, but there are stories from other places."

Which suggests the word is actually plural like the Iwi word for the Skullcrawlers and the "grown-up" version of the story talks of multiple creatures. It's not literally Godzilla, the individual character we know, versus the entire Kong race.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I'm still not buying that it goes so much against what Gareth Edwards and Mike Dougherty have both said about Godzilla and personally I don't the comics are side canon anyway and that's all I'll say on the matter. Fun debate because obviously we disagree so my bowing out.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I'm with you though, don't care what anything says but Godzilla to me is 250 million years old. One of the main appeals for this incarnation IMO.

I just find the hollow earth too unnoticeable for marine reptiles at most to not venture into and having survived by moving down there inhabiting its possible ocean, as well as rivers and lakes.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:30 am
I took the indication that panel was Godzilla swimming in the hollow earth or at least one of its tunnels and that normal prehistoric animals notably marine reptiles survived their extinction by moving down there.

Whose to say the hollow earth also doesn't have its own ocean as well as lakes and rivers for those marine reptiles to submerge from? We do have palaeontological evidence of species of marine reptiles living in freshwater.

Nothing seems to indicate that panel was over 65 million years ago.
I found that panel

It is next to the one with giant lemurs and the marine reptiles he's talking about are swimming next to WHALES.

It's also showing volcanos and trout and a HUMAN civilization.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:36 am It is next to the one with giant lemurs and the marine reptiles he's talking about are swimming next to WHALES.
Yep that pretty much seals and indicates that panel wasn't over 65 million years ago.

Given the triceratops skull shown in Kong: Skull Island, I also like to think normal dinosaurs, as well as other normal prehistoric animals from various time periods also inhabit the hollow earth notably being prey to the titan megafauna.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:34 am I'm still not buying that it goes so much against what Gareth Edwards and Mike Dougherty have both said about Godzilla and personally I don't the comics are side canon anyway and that's all I'll say on the matter. Fun debate because obviously we disagree so my bowing out.
Mike hasn't said anything about his exact age not had Edwards

They call him old but don't give him an age

Hell, there are Gojiras OLDER than Godzilla

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:36 am I'm with you though, don't care what anything says but Godzilla to me is 250 million years old. One of the main appeals for this incarnation IMO.

I just find the hollow earth too unnoticeable for marine reptiles at most to not venture into and having survived by moving down there inhabiting its possible ocean, as well as rivers and lakes.
This I would agree with I do believe the Hollow Earth is a refugium for plenty of prehistoric species throughout Earth's history

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

Went back through the thread and couldn't quite understand what you're getting at....can you clarify? I'm interested.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

MorgolKing wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:42 am
Went back through the thread and couldn't quite understand what you're getting at....can you clarify? I'm interested.
He was wrong

"He pulled himself up. The time for rest was done. His gaze rested on the gigantic skull of the enemy, the ancient adversary his kind had once driven from this place but never completely defeated. He shrieked his warning, his threat, his growing rage."

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:38 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:34 am I'm still not buying that it goes so much against what Gareth Edwards and Mike Dougherty have both said about Godzilla and personally I don't the comics are side canon anyway and that's all I'll say on the matter. Fun debate because obviously we disagree so my bowing out.

I never said they gave him an exact age but I treat the film as priority canon and nothing in the films has contradicted what they said so we chose to ignored Awakening yet we treat Aftershock and Dominion as canon. Skull Island's history varies from film to comic to film. K:SI when Marlow explained when the Iwi first came they feared Kong's species until they were protected by them from the Skullcrawlers then in Birth of Kong they revised that saying that by the time the Iwi arrived Kong's parents were the only ones left and the majority Skullcrawler war had already happened and know in GvK now they're saying the Iwi had already had a relationship with Kong's species before coming to Skull Island so yeah I don't consider that comics to be priority and set canon.

Added in 3 minutes 51 seconds:
I was mistaken about the Godzilla being to only one being involved with the war with Kong's species but my main thing is that some of us are treating these novels and comics as absolute canon even though they contradict what happens in the movies.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:55 am
Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:38 am

I never said they gave him an exact age but I treat the film as priority canon and nothing in the films has contradicted what they said so we chose to ignored Awakening yet we treat Aftershock and Dominion as canon. Skull Island's history varies from film to comic to film. K:SI when Marlow explained when the Iwi first came they feared Kong's species until they were protected by them from the Skullcrawlers then in Birth of Kong they revised that saying that by the time the Iwi arrived Kong's parents were the only ones left and the majority Skullcrawler war had already happened and know in GvK now they're saying the Iwi had already had a relationship with Kong's species before coming to Skull Island so yeah I don't consider that comics to be priority and set canon.

Added in 3 minutes 51 seconds:
I was mistaken about the Godzilla being to only one being involved with the war with Kong's species but my main thing is that some of us are treating these novels and comics as absolute canon even though they contradict what happens in the movies.

This films say Godzilla was born after the war, so he's less than 200,000

And we're not disregarding awakening

Him being Permian was a THEORY in awakening, a THEORY that was DEBUNKED in KotM

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:55 am I was mistaken about the Godzilla being to only one being involved with the war with Kong's species but my main thing is that some of us are treating these novels and comics as absolute canon even though they contradict what happens in the movies.
But Godzilla being younger than we thought doesn't contradict the movies...

The movies never give an age for Godzilla, just that he's ancient. The comics and novels contradict each other, mostly, which is why I take it that later comics and the GvK novelization retcon what earlier comics/novels said. Nothing in the movies themselves seems to be really affected by any of this. :)