Godzilla vs Kong novel: The differences between it and the movie

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: Godzilla vs Kong novel: The differences between it and the movie

Post by Pkmatrix »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:46 am
Pkmatrix wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:34 ama paragraph from Mechagodzilla's POV (his first waking up).
oh?
It's at the tail end of Ren's last scene, I thought I had posted it earlier in this thread but I must have posted it in the main discussion thread. :)

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Pkmatrix wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:34 ama paragraph from Mechagodzilla's POV (his first waking up).
oh?
It's actually one of the most interesting sequences in the whole novelization. I found that part to be genuinely terrifying.
Last edited by Vandarker on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

Pkmatrix wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:01 am
oh?
It's at the tail end of Ren's last scene, I thought I had posted it earlier in this thread but I must have posted it in the main discussion thread. :)
I've looked thru your recent posts. I may be blind, but I can't find it. would you mind posting it here as well?
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:50 pm
Showzilla wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:11 pm
BennettCommando wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:35 pm I was confused about which faction won the war. In Iwi myth, it is implied that their ancestors and Titanus Kongs, moved to Skull Island after their war with Titanus Gojira. While in Dominion, it is said that Titanus Kong drove Godzilla out from his original home. So......Which species won the war.

Aside from that, I also wanted to know if other Titans also join the war, or just Gojiras and Kongs.
The Gojiras won the war, the kongs then drove Godzilla himself off back when he was an adolescent at a much later date. In the novel, Godzilla states that the kongs were driven out

"He pulled himself up. The time for rest was done. His gaze rested on the gigantic skull of the enemy, the ancient adversary his kind had once driven from this place but never completely defeated. He shrieked his warning, his threat, his growing rage."

Tiamat killed the kong(s) who drove Godzilla out and Godzilla defeated tiamat
The Kongs drove Godzilla from Skull island is what it looked like and then Tiamat was just there.
Come to think of it, this is kinda weird... Maybe an inconsistency? In the novelization, Godzilla reminisces how his kin had driven out the Kongs from what is now his new lair; but in Dominion, it appears that Godzilla himself was driven out by by a rival Kong individual when he was younger, and that particular Kong stayed in the lair. Since Godzilla was expecting him to still be there, it seems that particular Kong individual was never driven out afterwards and kept on living there until he died of unknown causes. So what happened really? The events don't seem to fit in with each other.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:13 am
Pkmatrix wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:01 am

oh?
I've looked thru your recent posts. I may be blind, but I can't find it. would you mind posting it here as well?
Huh? I can't find it either. Did the Mods delete it? Why?? That was well within fair use!!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Huh found this on Tvtropes under God of Evil.
"The novelization of Godzilla vs. Kong sheds some light on the Iwi culture, which — as regaled by Jia — fears Godzilla and his species as an evil Draconic Abomination called the "Zo-zla-halwa" that drove the Kongs and Iwi out of the Long Ago Below (their word for the Hollow Earth)."

Zozlahalwa? Hm that's a neat name.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Vandarker wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:35 am
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:50 pm
Showzilla wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:11 pm

The Gojiras won the war, the kongs then drove Godzilla himself off back when he was an adolescent at a much later date. In the novel, Godzilla states that the kongs were driven out

"He pulled himself up. The time for rest was done. His gaze rested on the gigantic skull of the enemy, the ancient adversary his kind had once driven from this place but never completely defeated. He shrieked his warning, his threat, his growing rage."

Tiamat killed the kong(s) who drove Godzilla out and Godzilla defeated tiamat
The Kongs drove Godzilla from Skull island is what it looked like and then Tiamat was just there.
Come to think of it, this is kinda weird... Maybe an inconsistency? In the novelization, Godzilla reminisces how his kin had driven out the Kongs from what is now his new lair; but in Dominion, it appears that Godzilla himself was driven out by by a rival Kong individual when he was younger, and that particular Kong stayed in the lair. Since Godzilla was expecting him to still be there, it seems that particular Kong individual was never driven out afterwards and kept on living there until he died of unknown causes. So what happened really? The events don't seem to fit in with each other.
Godzilla never fought in the war. It was over and done with before he was born. Him remeber it is probably similar to kong's genetic memory. Furthermore, jia confirms the kongs lost. Godzilla came back as an adult with no hesitation (We see why given how he handle kong) but I think tiamat killed it.
Last edited by Showzilla on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Looking at his wikizilla bio I don't see anything that contradicts his 250m year age.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Maybe his species, but if young G battled a Kong and the war was over when he lost, it shows Godzilla is a lot younger than we thought. Maybe a few hundred thousand years old or a million or two at most.
Last edited by imposterzilla on Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

No Godzilla is from the Permian based on Awakening which Legendary still says is canon and how do we know how to measure youth in Godzilla's species. The Hollow Earth is nothing more than just the surviving ecosystem of the radioactive age and various species migrated to and from throughout the ages.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Awakening ever said anything regarding Godzilla the individual being 250 million years old? Just his kind as a whole. Now granted it might mean he is indeed that old but if he isn't there are no real contradictions either way.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:47 am Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Awakening ever said anything regarding Godzilla the individual being 250 million years old? Just his kind as a whole. Now granted it might mean he is indeed that old but if he isn't there are no real contradictions either way.
Implied to be the same one along with Shinomura

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:47 am Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Awakening ever said anything regarding Godzilla the individual being 250 million years old? Just his kind as a whole. Now granted it might mean he is indeed that old but if he isn't there are no real contradictions either way.
I agree! And young G being defeated by a Kong? Apes evolved around 25 mya, so there is that.

Added in 54 seconds:
DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:54 am
It just showed A GODZILLA, didn't really suggest one way or the other if it's the same one.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:39 am No Godzilla is from the Permian based on Awakening which Legendary still says is canon and how do we know how to measure youth in Godzilla's species. The Hollow Earth is nothing more than just the surviving ecosystem of the radioactive age and various species migrated to and from throughout the ages.
I'll have to double-check my copy of Awakening when I get home, but I don't really remember it saying that.

And even if it did, Awakening was never 100% canon but "broad strokes canon" where the overall events did occur but any details that contradict the movies or later works are not canon. So even if it was something said in Awakening, it may just mean its been retconned out. Awakening IS briefly referenced in the novelization: Ren mentions his grandfather Eiji being in Monarch, that he died in 1981, and how Ishiro joined Monarch around then. Again, broad strokes.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

My point is Godzilla is not as young as some of y'all are saying KOTM made that clear when they found his lair. Even Gareth Edwards himself said that Godzilla was a weary old samurai warrior. He's not and shouldn't be young that's Kong's arc.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:11 am My point is Godzilla is not as young as some of y'all are saying KOTM made that clear when they found his lair. Even Gareth Edwards himself said that Godzilla was a weary old samurai warrior. He's not and shouldn't be young that's Kong's arc.
Old does not imply millions of years
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:36 pm Looking at his wikizilla bio I don't see anything that contradicts his 250m year age.
Wiki....uh

Any way, Godzilla cannot be over 200,000 years old

It's stated his ANCESTORS fought the Kong's in a war that first started when humanity had developed enough to record history.

Honestly, awakening never says he's from the Permian. A man THEORIZES it but that theory is brought up again in the KotM novelization and is debunked by the hollow earth theory.

Added in 2 minutes 13 seconds:
imposterzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:55 am
I agree! And young G being defeated by a Kong? Apes evolved around 25 mya, so there is that.

Added in 54 seconds:
It just showed A GODZILLA, didn't really suggest one way or the other if it's the same one.
The thing is, GvK states Godzilla's ancestors fought, no he himself. This war also started AFTER humans had started recording history. The oldest human evidence is 200,000 years old. This means Godzilla MUCH younger than that.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:11 am My point is Godzilla is not as young as some of y'all are saying KOTM made that clear when they found his lair. Even Gareth Edwards himself said that Godzilla was a weary old samurai warrior. He's not and shouldn't be young that's Kong's arc.
I mean, he's clearly not young but even if Edwards' intention was to make him millions of years old it seems they've retconned that to make him much younger than that. LIke, his lair in KOTM was ancient and prehistoric, but still clearly manmade which means it can't be more than 300,000 years old (or 2 Million, if we want to suggest Atlantis wasn't modern humans but rather a Homo Erectus or other prehistoric human species civilization). And we still don't REALLY know how old Kong's race is but if they actually ARE related to apes and its not just a case of convergent evolution then that kinda limits how long ago the Kong-Godzilla War was.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Plus in both G14 and Aftershock Dagon is either stated or implied to be somewhat older than Godzilla, and he died out recently enough to be recorded by Phoenicians. I don't think the age difference between them is drastic but virtually all supplementary material so far seems to imply that while old Godzilla is probably not Permian levels of old. He is still much more ancient than Kong and probably a lot more than other contemporary Titans so I don't really see how it contradicts the "old Samurai" vibe.

Also, judging from Dominion he seems to be lukewarm towards the HE and straight up unfamiliar with it so he was either born after his species left upwards or he just outright doesn't remember his time.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:28 am
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:36 pm Looking at his wikizilla bio I don't see anything that contradicts his 250m year age.
Wiki....uh

It's stated his ANCESTORS fought the Kong's in a war that first started when humanity had developed enough to record history.

Honestly, awakening never says he's from the Permian. A man THEORIZES it but that theory is brought up again in the KotM novelization and is debunked by the hollow earth theory.

Added in 54 seconds:

The thing is, GvK states Godzilla's ancestors fought, no he himself. This war also started AFTER humans had started recording history. The oldest human evidence is 200,000 years old. This means Godzilla MUCH younger than that.
Modern human theories that all that is. I'm going with what G14 and KOTM said which admittedly are also theories but more compelling ones

Added in 5 minutes 13 seconds:
Pkmatrix wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:40 am
I mean, he's clearly not young but even if Edwards' intention was to make him millions of years old it seems they've retconned that to make him much younger than that. LIke, his lair in KOTM was ancient and prehistoric, but still clearly manmade which means it can't be more than 300,000 years old (or 2 Million, if we want to suggest Atlantis wasn't modern humans but rather a Homo Erectus or other prehistoric human species civilization). And we still don't REALLY know how old Kong's race is but if they actually ARE related to apes and its not just a case of convergent evolution then that kinda limits how long ago the Kong-Godzilla War was.
Kong's are apes Titanus is just a Monarch term that doesn't reflect common ancestry. They didn't retcon anything other than expanding on the lore and history of the Titans.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:57 am
Showzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:28 am
Wiki....uh

Added in 54 seconds:

Modern human theories that all that is. I'm going with what G14 and KOTM said which admittedly are also theories but more compelling ones

Added in 5 minutes 13 seconds:
Pkmatrix wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:40 am
Kong's are apes Titanus is just a Monarch term that doesn't reflect common ancestry. They didn't retcon anything other than expanding on the lore and history of the Titans.
No, this isn't a theory, the hollow earth theory was proven correct in KotM, so the Permian theory was DEBUNKED by KotM AND GvK. The movie flat out states Godzilla's ANCESTORS fought the war that a 200,000 year old species recorded when they advanced to the point of recording history. In fact, dominion has Godzilla indicating human civilizations were a thing when he was born.