Discussion of the Titular Fights: Godzilla vs. Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Who Won?

Godzilla
94%
Kong
2%
Depends on the Environment
4%

Total votes: 146

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Discussion of the Titular Fights: Godzilla vs. Kong

Post by ernesth100 »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:55 pm Yeah I loved how much Kong got to jump around and climb in Hong Kong. Love the part where he jumped to the side, bounced off a building and slugged Godzilla in the face before he could spit fire. Then he followed up by putting his hands to either side and basically drop kicked Godzilla, knocking him down.
Yeah, he may have been out of his league but he is no slouch in combat. Let's not forget Kong was killing giant lizards(skullcrawlers) for year's before he knew Godzilla even existed. His kill count is likely just as high due to the fact unlike Godzilla, he's been fighting all his life. Godzilla only comes out when something is a threat to the planet.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Re: Who Won? Godzilla vs. Kong Spoilers

Post by KManX89 »

1973GXMSITB wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:14 am Wingard said there would be a definitive winner, but the whole thing felt like a cop out to me. Have your cake and eat it too chumps!
How? This way, one is still the clear winner, both go out looking strong and gaining each other's respect in the process and it allows them to continue making MV films with either or both (like a Destroy All Monsters remake) if they see fit.

Speaking of which:

'Cause of course they ran that meme, lol.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Wow, a save Mothra meme.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

goji89 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:17 am Wow, a save Mothra meme.
Damn he got the whole squad laughin

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Now we need a meme of Gamera being the Wonder Woman of the three.

Grrrrra - Is he with you?
Skreeeeeoonnk - I thought he was with you?

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Okay, Godzilla and Mecha Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and The MUTO's.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

bxrpriz wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:26 pm
Zasraniec wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:38 pm
bxrpriz wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:21 pm

This is the exact argument that all G-Fans seem to want to put out there. It's false. Kong clearly demonstrated he could kill Godzilla, when he knocked him out. He could have simply walked up and snapped his neck. Easy--dead. Maybe that is why you all want to cling to the idea that Godzilla never got knocked out and Kong never stood a chance. Its a very thinly veiled attempt to right size your argument. Look, I freely admit that Godzilla won, and the one other person who seemingly agrees with my theory on how the fight went down, also never tried to claim Godzilla didn't win. Its all the G-Fans who have trouble admitting that Godzilla was knocked out. By the way, I am not sure why you need to hear it from Wingard----he put the line in the movie for a reason--not sure how clearer that could be. it's kinda like Rebecca Hall stating that Kong "was dying". By your logic I shouldn't believe that was the case unless Wingard explicitly states that was the intent? Something tells me you believed that line without questioning it for one second.
Kill Godzilla by breaking his neck? That's laughable! He survived nukes, stratosphere drops, and of course the crushing pressure of the ocean. No way Kong can survive either of those if being tossed aside dislocates his shoulder. If Kong could have killed Godzilla, he certainly would have tried. Unless you are saying Kong is stupid, which for a creature who always gets lumped in with "intelligence" that is very curious. So either Kong "could have killed" Godzilla :lol: but was just too stupid, or Kong was smart and knew he couldn't which is why he was idly recovering also. Of course course Kong isn't stupid and of course he lacks the firepower and strength to kill Godzilla. Godzilla has taken way worse than what Kong dished out before. Also just because a character says something doesn't make it true. If I was to believe your reasoning then most cocky villains mentioning their "unstoppable" plans would have to be believed despite almost always being wrong. Kong's condition was supported with in-film evidence while Lind's line was not.
Just a waste of time--should have known better than to try and discuss this here. For the two or three folks here that are reasonable I thank you. The rest...............well this is indeed toxic and I'm out.
Using logic established by previous films is toxic? What is this forum coming to?! While I loved Godzilla vs Kong it does have some moments that make you go "huh?" A lot of which are clearly made to avoid a Kong death. Such as the depth charges distracting Godzilla. Conventional weapons aren't even supposed to make Godzilla bat an eye. The MOPs from Shin and those cannons from G2000 are the only exceptions I can think of to this rule, other than the depth charges themselves. It was fairly out of Godzilla's character and a minor surprise for me.

CosmicComet
Ronin

Post by CosmicComet »

The Godzilla vs kong novelization comes out tomorrow.

I have it preordered.

That will finally settle if Godzilla was down/out for a few seconds or if he was out for over a minute. If he was out for only a few seconds that debunks the notion that Kong won anything.

As that would have been too short a window for him to have followed up with a finish.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

CosmicComet wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:37 pm The Godzilla vs kong novelization comes out tomorrow.

I have it preordered.

That will finally settle if Godzilla was down/out for a few seconds or if he was out for over a minute. If he was out for only a few seconds that debunks the notion that Kong won anything.

As that would have been too short a window for him to have followed up with a finish.
Quite honestly, "official or otherwise", the events of a novel have zero bearing on the film and should be treated as a separate medium.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

CosmicComet
Ronin

Post by CosmicComet »

Such a hard and fast black and white ruling is not true at all for this or any other fictional medium with supplementary canon sources.

Without the novelization no one would have known what Kong was doing during Ghidorah's alpha call. With the KOTM novel we now know.

The novels and comics are secondary canon with supplementary info for the primary canon. That's the reason they exist and fans can't wish that away.

In case of contradictions that may arise (as is the case with many supplementary material) the primary canon takes precedence for those specific events.

In the case of the GvK the movie, it created a scenario that makes some uncertain about how much real time has passed because it introduces a ~1 minute cinematic cut to a different scene.

The only way to dispel that uncertainty is either Wingard himself outright telling us or the novelization doing so.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Zasraniec wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:31 pm
bxrpriz wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:26 pm
Zasraniec wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:38 pm
Kill Godzilla by breaking his neck? That's laughable! He survived nukes, stratosphere drops, and of course the crushing pressure of the ocean. No way Kong can survive either of those if being tossed aside dislocates his shoulder. If Kong could have killed Godzilla, he certainly would have tried. Unless you are saying Kong is stupid, which for a creature who always gets lumped in with "intelligence" that is very curious. So either Kong "could have killed" Godzilla :lol: but was just too stupid, or Kong was smart and knew he couldn't which is why he was idly recovering also. Of course course Kong isn't stupid and of course he lacks the firepower and strength to kill Godzilla. Godzilla has taken way worse than what Kong dished out before. Also just because a character says something doesn't make it true. If I was to believe your reasoning then most cocky villains mentioning their "unstoppable" plans would have to be believed despite almost always being wrong. Kong's condition was supported with in-film evidence while Lind's line was not.
Just a waste of time--should have known better than to try and discuss this here. For the two or three folks here that are reasonable I thank you. The rest...............well this is indeed toxic and I'm out.
Using logic established by previous films is toxic? What is this forum coming to?! While I loved Godzilla vs Kong it does have some moments that make you go "huh?" A lot of which are clearly made to avoid a Kong death. Such as the depth charges distracting Godzilla. Conventional weapons aren't even supposed to make Godzilla bat an eye. The MOPs from Shin and those cannons from G2000 are the only exceptions I can think of to this rule, other than the depth charges themselves. It was fairly out of Godzilla's character and a minor surprise for me.
Missles distracted him in San Francisco during the Golden Gate Bridge scene. The way Godzilla was acting during the sea battle wouldn’t surprise me if he turned him loose on purpose. I still doubt Godzilla ever was going to intentionally kill Kong. If Kong drowned though Godzilla wasn’t going to sweat it.
Last edited by Bluezilla on Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

What if Godzilla wanted to free Kong and him taking him down to the ocean depth was him trying to take him to hollow earth but Kong is a stubborn monkey and didn't know.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:42 pm
CosmicComet wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:37 pm The Godzilla vs kong novelization comes out tomorrow.

I have it preordered.

Quite honestly, "official or otherwise", the events of a novel have zero bearing on the film and should be treated as a separate medium.
Usually a novel of a movie is canon unless it contradicts the movie directly. Saying Godzilla is down 5 seconds or 5 minutes shouldn't be too bad or even saying Jia had a brother is OK.

Now something like Kong ripped a spine out of Godzilla would be novel canon.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Y'all really don't think Godzilla was tired or at least running low on energy after stomping out Apex bases across the world, fighting Kong twice and blasting a hole through the center of the Earth?

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

ernesth100 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:11 pm Y'all really don't think Godzilla was tired or at least running low on energy after stomping out Apex bases across the world, fighting Kong twice and blasting a hole through the center of the Earth?
Do I look like kaijucypher?

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Would you guys say that Godzilla gave it 100 and never nothing less?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

ernesth100 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:11 pm Y'all really don't think Godzilla was tired or at least running low on energy after stomping out Apex bases across the world, fighting Kong twice and blasting a hole through the center of the Earth?
I think he was tired by that point. Had Godzilla been a full power and fresh I don't think Mechagodzilla would have run through him like he wasn't even there.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

CosmicComet
Ronin

Post by CosmicComet »

The novel confirms that godzilla was not out for minutes. He was up pretty much up right away and started looking for Kong.

It says both were stalking, trying to find each other after the explosion as they both lost line of sight from each other after the explosion.

I'm heading to work but I can screenshot it later.

Sorry guys. Kong did not win a round at all. Nathan's comment was completely premature.

Edit: and yes. Novel does confirm Godzilla was worn out by the time he fought mechag.
Last edited by CosmicComet on Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

CosmicComet wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:37 am The novel confirms that godzilla was not out for minutes. He was up pretty much up right away and started looking for Kong.

It says both were stalking, trying to find each other after the explosion as they both lost line of sight from each other after the explosion.

Sorry guys. Kong did not win a round at all. Nathan's comment was completely premature.

Edit: and yes. Novel does confirm Godzilla was worn out by the time he fought mechag.

Damn, it feels good being right

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Showzilla wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:30 am
CosmicComet wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:37 am The novel confirms that godzilla was not out for minutes. He was up pretty much up right away and started looking for Kong.

Damn, it feels good being right
It's so, so stirring
I feel like purring

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image