Inevitable Crossover: Pacific Rim

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Re: Inevitable Crossover: Pacific Rim

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Remember when it was inevitable for the series to cross over when Godzilla 2014 came out? Fun times.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

yogi bareass
Samurai

Post by yogi bareass »

I don't think a crossover is inevitable at all; People really seem to like Godzilla and Kong right now and quite bluntly, The MV doesn't need PR. A lot of people need to remember while the first PR was great (I loved it) and was well received, it wasn't very profitable. The second one was dog shit and bombed and the series on Netflix is probably only being watched by super fans. Just my .02 don't mean to offend anyone.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:40 pm After Pac Rim 2 failing as hard as it did, I don't see another movie happening unless it's a straight to Netflix animated movie that's just an expanded episode/spin-off of the new anime.

So no, this crossover is not "inevitable."
As long as there's life in both the MV and PR franchises I believe the possibility is still imminent at least.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

ernesth100 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:54 pm
Vakanai wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:40 pm After Pac Rim 2 failing as hard as it did, I don't see another movie happening unless it's a straight to Netflix animated movie that's just an expanded episode/spin-off of the new anime.

So no, this crossover is not "inevitable."
As long as there's life in both the MV and PR franchises I believe the possibility is still imminent at least.
Well, there's nothing but faith backing that belief right now I think.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Eh, the fact that we can even still discuss the possibility is a miracle. The anime is really the only reason I made this thread. Because it's possible they do a non-canon spinoff crossover.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If a studio owns both properties there is always a chance especially when it has being hinted at twice before.

The Fast franchise for example just teased a Jurassic World crossover.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:56 pm If a studio owns both properties there is always a chance especially when it has being hinted at twice before.

Except Toho has final say what Godzilla crosses over with. IDW had the rights to Godzilla, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, and Transformers, did any of those cross over? No. So just because a company is holding the rights, means absolutely fucking nothing.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LamangoKaijura wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:07 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:56 pm If a studio owns both properties there is always a chance especially when it has being hinted at twice before.

Except Toho has final say what Godzilla crosses over with. IDW had the rights to Godzilla, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, and Transformers, did any of those cross over? No. So just because a company is holding the rights, means absolutely skreeonking nothing.
Nothing you said contradicts what I said. Legendary has rights over both so a Crossover has a chance of happening.

Also a IDW crossover is different from a Legendary crossover. Movies have slightly different rights then comic crossovers. IDW has to talk to Hasbro and Toho and Toho has to agree with Hasbro. With Pac Rim its just legendary and maybe GDT talking to Toho.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

This isn't the case when rights are on loan from another company. Fox Studios had the film rights for X-Men and the film rights for Fantastic Four from Marvel, but they weren't able to make an X-Men F4 crossover film unless they got approval from Marvel to do so. Toho would have final say on whether or not Legendary could do a Pacific Rim Godzilla crossover.
Last edited by ebirah_scampi on Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

ebirah_scampi wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:10 pm

This isn't the case when rights are on loan from another company. Fox Studios had the film rights for X-Men and the film rights for Fantastic Four from Marvel, but they weren't able to make an X-Men F4 crossover film unless they got approval from Marvel to do so. Toho would have final say on whether or not Legendary could do a Pacific Rim Godzilla crossover.
I never said Toho wouldn't have a say, I'm saying with them both being with Legendary there is a better chance Legendary could cross them over than say Legendary wanting Godzilla to cross with Jurassic World. Pac Rim is in house for Legendary and Godzilla is something they have to talk to Toho about. There isn't a third party they have to talk to like when they crossed Godzilla and Kong,

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I'm not event sure Toho would mind sending any version of Godzilla to the PR universe. It's clear they'd treat him with respect. It's been stated he'd be a Cat 10 at least.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

ernesth100 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:53 am I'm not event sure Toho would mind sending any version of Godzilla to the PR universe. It's clear they'd treat him with respect. It's been stated he'd be a Cat 10 at least.
"Treat him with respect" aka, make the flimsiest mechs fight him and make him lose? Nah.
Nothing you said contradicts what I said. Legendary has rights over both so a Crossover has a chance of happening.
Viacom owns the rights to Spongebob Square Pants, Jackass, South Park, Dora the Explorer, Hey Arnold and Beavis and Butthead. Can't wait for the Beavis and Butthead Hey Arnold crossover. :roll: Or how about that Jackass and Blues Clues crossover! Or Crank Yankers and Catdog!
Last edited by LamangoKaijura on Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Godzilla doesn't even have to be an enemy. And there's no way he could lose to the PR mechs I'm sure Legendary knows that much.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LamangoKaijura wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:24 pm
Viacom owns the rights to Spongebob Square Pants, Jackass, South Park, Dora the Explorer, Hey Arnold and Beavis and Butthead. Can't wait for the Beavis and Butthead Hey Arnold crossover. :roll: Or how about that Jackass and Blues Clues crossover! Or Crank Yankers and Catdog!
Your still not contradicting me. If Viacom wanted Dora and Spongebob to cross over it would be easier than Spongebob popping up in Teen Titans go. You seem to be confusing me saying there is a chance becasue both franchise are with one company vs its for sure happening.

You also mentioned franchises that have a much lower chance of crossing over than Godzilla and Pac Rim. The mtv franchises would not cross over with Nick but the nic franchise could crossover.

Your argument would be Pac Rim crossing over with the Hangover.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Viacom owns Nickolodeon and MTV, you dunce.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LamangoKaijura wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:49 pm Viacom owns Nickolodeon and MTV, you dunce.
Once again I didn't say they didn't own both, the MTV shows wouldn't cross with Nick because they're too different.

If I own my little pony I'm not going to cross it with Mortal Kombat if I own that as well.

It would still be easier however than going to you who owns Street Fighter.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:52 pm
LamangoKaijura wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:49 pm Viacom owns Nickolodeon and MTV, you dunce.
Once again I didn't say they didn't own both, the MTV shows wouldn't cross with Nick because they're too different.

If I own my little pony I'm not going to cross it with Mortal Kombat if I own that as well.

And IDW had the rights to both power rangers and Godzilla. Did we get a crossover from that? It's not inevitable. And it won't happen.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LamangoKaijura wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:53 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:52 pm

And IDW had the rights to both power rangers and Godzilla. Did we get a crossover from that? It's not inevitable. And it won't happen.
That is a crossover where they have to talk to Saban or Hasbro and then Boom on the power rangers side and then go talk to Toho.

Legendary is just taking their franchise and talking to Toho. An easier time not a guarantee but easier than the above crossover.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Dude chill out before you offend someone and the mods take action. We're having a civil discussion on the possibility and execution of the idea should it be taken up.

There's no reason to shoot down the idea so aggressively.

That being said. Should this happen. Do you think they'll use Godzilla only or let Kong and other MV kaiju come to play as well?

I'm sure of one thing. It'll be non-canon if it happens ever.
Last edited by ernesth100 on Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Inevitable? Doubt it. Personally I think it would be a lame crossover with the PR kaiju undermining the Titans in the Monsterverse. The titans are way cooler anyway.