Godzilla vs. Kong Review Thread (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Post by Smuggers »

It's pretty good. The action scenes are definitely an improvement over KotM but the human story is maybe even thinner, outside of Kong's connection to Jia there's really no meat here. I feel like there's around 40 minutes of this movie I didn't see. It's always nice to get more Kong, and they showcase a more brutal side to Godzilla that we really hadn't seen in the Monsterverse. So overall I enjoyed it but I'm not gonna say it's bestest movie ever just because of how Godzilla goes ham.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

This is the first Monsterverse Godzilla film I've enjoyed I'd give it an 8/10 I'll do a more in depth review later

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

Smuggers wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:07 pm It's pretty good. The action scenes are definitely an improvement over KotM but the human story is maybe even thinner, outside of Kong's connection to Jia there's really no meat here. I feel like there's around 40 minutes of this movie I didn't see. It's always nice to get more Kong, and they showcase a more brutal side to Godzilla that we really hadn't seen in the Monsterverse. So overall I enjoyed it but I'm not gonna say it's bestest movie ever just because of how Godzilla goes ham.
The human story really is non-existent aside from Jia and Kong. Their moment during the climax was really genuine though, and it reminded me of something from Mighty Joe Young. I wish that could've been expanded or explored more. And as disappointed as I was with KOTM, compared to GvK, I now have to give it credit for at least trying to give some sort of development to the human story. With this movie though, it's like they didn't even bother and said, "We failed three times before. Fuck it. The audience just watches these things for the monsters anyway."

Added in 9 minutes 26 seconds:
I know it sounds like I'm being really negative about the film, and I don't want to start sounding like a certain G-Fan of the Italian persuasion. I will say that the parts that I didn't like, I absolutely hated. But the parts I did like, I love so much to the point that I'm genuinely conflicted.

I'm re-watching the monster fights via HBO on my laptop as we speak (much easier to scene skip than watching on a TV). I love that when Godzilla goes berserk on Kong, there's no music playing. It makes that scene so engaging and almost uncomfortable to watch. Really inspired filmmaking in that scene.

fake
Monsterland Worker

Post by fake »

Just watched the movie and loved it. I like that they dispensed with unnecessary sideplots and kept it focused. You can tell there were moments which were likely fleshed out in a longer cut but people likely would have been bored. As it stands, we get enough background and then we dive directly into the fight and the movie delivers fully on the fight.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

The one bitter sweet thing about this film is that it flew by. But that’s the thing, time is a tricky fucker like that — it goes by fast when you’re having an (atomic) blast.

I reckon this is undoubtedly for the best, because despite it faults which really aren’t at all glaring — this movie leaves you wanting more. At the end of the day that’s all you could ever want, frankly.

9/10
Last edited by obZen on Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

Dynomy-DX wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:47 am Just saw it on HBO Max! And hot damn, that was fun! I love how brutal and intense the action was, and I didn’t have much issue with Team Kong OR Godzilla.

My biggest gripe is the villains. Like... there’s so much fun potential there that’s kinda wasted. That and the screen time ratio for Godzilla and Kong could be more balanced? But that’s me being picky. I’m not sure if it beats KOTM for me personally, but in terms of the action, it clearly triumphs.
As a fellow person who chose to watch it from home on HBO max let me ask you a question. Did it feel weird watching it at home to you? It did for me. It was kinda surreal watching a newly released theater film from the comfort of my bed in HD on release day.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Troyal1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:33 pm
Dynomy-DX wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:47 am Just saw it on HBO Max! And hot damn, that was fun! I love how brutal and intense the action was, and I didn’t have much issue with Team Kong OR Godzilla.

My biggest gripe is the villains. Like... there’s so much fun potential there that’s kinda wasted. That and the screen time ratio for Godzilla and Kong could be more balanced? But that’s me being picky. I’m not sure if it beats KOTM for me personally, but in terms of the action, it clearly triumphs.
As a fellow person who chose to watch it from home on HBO max let me ask you a question. Did it feel weird watching it at home to you? It did for me. It was kinda surreal watching a newly released theater film from the comfort of my bed in HD on release day.
It was kinda weird. I’ve gotten used to it after seeing Soul, but I can’t help but wish I had my chance to see this on the big screen. Hopefully the situation down here gets better and the theaters start opening up more. If I get my vaccine soon, I could go for another viewing!
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Movie starts in 10 minutes. Excited bay bay!
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Your Boy Leroy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:29 pm I'm re-watching the monster fights via HBO on my laptop as we speak (much easier to scene skip than watching on a TV). I love that when Godzilla goes berserk on Kong, there's no music playing. It makes that scene so engaging and almost uncomfortable to watch. Really inspired filmmaking in that scene.
Yeah I noticed that too, not having "buuurrrrr, bur bur bur buuuuuuuuuurrrrrr" playing for the 50th time really helps you focus on Godzilla's ferocity.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

Dynomy-DX wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:50 pm

It was kinda weird. I’ve gotten used to it after seeing Soul, but I can’t help but wish I had my chance to see this on the big screen. Hopefully the situation down here gets better and the theaters start opening up more. If I get my vaccine soon, I could go for another viewing!
Glad I wasn’t the only one who thought it was odd. Was Soul a good film I have been wanting to see it. Take care I got my first shot and I’m looking forward to finally getting my second.

I’ll definitely be getting GVK on 4K when I get a new tv

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Troyal1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:58 pm
Dynomy-DX wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:50 pm

Glad I wasn’t the only one who thought it was odd. Was Soul a good film I have been wanting to see it. Take care I got my first shot and I’m looking forward to finally getting my second.

I’ll definitely be getting GVK on 4K when I get a new tv
I found Soul to be pretty enjoyable. Hits all the emotional chords you’d want out of in a Pixar movie. But that’s a whole other beast (ha) to delve into.

I plan to get my shot by early April. Gotta be prepped around these parts. Good luck on the new TV! The experience is bound to be great!
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

My spoiler free review is I thought it was flawed but fun, good for what it is but not great, that sort of thing. So not too dissimilar from my views of the other MonsterVerse films, which I all enjoy aside from nitpicks. Honestly, if this were the last one, I wouldn't be too bummed out. (But if Legendary wants to continue, go right ahead.)
HannibalBarca wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:32 am This is not an intelligent movie at the story level, but then again, neither was KOTM or (in my opinion, anyway) G'14. G'14 was in denial about being dumb and KOTM alternated between denial and basically winking at the audience. Godzilla vs. Kong seems to earnestly embrace being empty-headed fun. You can easily nitpick stuff about the story and characters, and personally I'll never be able to reconcile myself with the Hollow Earth conceit that's underpinning all of these films. But overall, Godzilla vs. Kong succeeds in delivering fast-paced and breezy monster action, mostly avoiding the occasional doldrums and/or cringe-inducing quippy dialogue of its predecessors.
I agree for the most part but prehistoric hollow earth ecosystems seems like a natural extrapolation from the Lost World/Skull Island concept so I'm fine with it. I like the idea of Skull Island being the portal to a larger, weirder world. It really gives it a Jules Verne/Edgar Rice Burroughs feel fitting for a Kong story.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I really enjoyed it, still processing. Man. Wow.

It was brisk, although that didn't seem like too much of a dealbreaker for me. A certain human villain went out with no fanfare, that was disappointing. Honestly this was very much a Kong film.

I wish Godzilla and Kong had a somewhat even spotlight like the original before they fought, but ya know, a certain you-know-who kinda made up for it. I'll have to think things over more, nonetheless I had a ton of fun!

GvK may end up as my favourite Monsterverse film, especially in how Godzilla was portrayed. Three nukes had been dropped on him onscreen, putting both G14 & KOTM together, so I was completely fine with Godzilla wrecking things. Excuse my jumbled mess of thoughts, gotta rewatch :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

Not sure if the official specs have been dropped but MechaGodzilla gotta be creeping up on 475ft.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

John Campea enjoyed it more than KOTM

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Just got home! My feelings?

Honestly...mixed. I didn't walk out loving it like I did the last three, which leaves me both shocked and dumbfounded. I had fun, but I've got a LOT of problems with this movie. I expect my opinion will shift on rewatching, but as it stands it's probably my least favorite MonsterVerse movie.

Is the movie fun? Absolutely! The action is fantastic, probably the best monster fight scenes and action in the MonsterVerse so far. When Godzilla and Kong throw down, the fight is everything we all wanted it to be. 😁 It's fast-paced, fun, and energetic!

The problem is that this is, easily, the weakest story of the four MonsterVerse movies, by a HUGE margin. Everything I liked about the characters and stories in Godzilla, Kong: Skull Island, and Godzilla: King of the Monsters is missing. The movie feels like it has been hacked to the BONE in post, and not in a good way IMO, with the mission statement of "any scene with a human in it is expendable, put the monsters at the front at all costs". The movie is about 1 hour 50 minutes long, and feels very much like at least 30 minutes of scenes with the humans has been cut out. Kyle Chandler seems like it was written to have a bigger part, but is basically just a cameo. Important character and plot exposition is just not present, leaving literally just the bare minimum needed to have a coherent story.

Frankly, it's to the point that I'm a little dumbfounded that the critics like this movie. I don't understand them at all. This movie literally does everything they accused KOTM of doing, yet they love this one while hating the other? It doesn't make any sense. I understand the fans liking this, but the critics baffle me.

That's not to say I didn't like it! I did enjoy the movie and have a lot of fun with it. I just get the feeling that if they ever release an Extended Cut that I'll like that WAY more.

Dust Errant
Samurai

Post by Dust Errant »

Pkmatrix wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:29 pm Just got home! My feelings?

Honestly...mixed. I didn't walk out loving it like I did the last three, which leaves me both shocked and dumbfounded. I had fun, but I've got a LOT of problems with this movie. I expect my opinion will shift on rewatching, but as it stands it's probably my least favorite MonsterVerse movie.

Is the movie fun? Absolutely! The action is fantastic, probably the best monster fight scenes and action in the MonsterVerse so far. When Godzilla and Kong throw down, the fight is everything we all wanted it to be. 😁 It's fast-paced, fun, and energetic!

The problem is that this is, easily, the weakest story of the four MonsterVerse movies, by a HUGE margin. Everything I liked about the characters and stories in Godzilla, Kong: Skull Island, and Godzilla: King of the Monsters is missing. The movie feels like it has been hacked to the BONE in post, and not in a good way IMO, with the mission statement of "any scene with a human in it is expendable, put the monsters at the front at all costs". The movie is about 1 hour 50 minutes long, and feels very much like at least 30 minutes of scenes with the humans has been cut out. Kyle Chandler seems like it was written to have a bigger part, but is basically just a cameo. Important character and plot exposition is just not present, leaving literally just the bare minimum needed to have a coherent story.

Frankly, it's to the point that I'm a little dumbfounded that the critics like this movie. I don't understand them at all. This movie literally does everything they accused KOTM of doing, yet they love this one while hating the other? It doesn't make any sense. I understand the fans liking this, but the critics baffle me.

That's not to say I didn't like it! I did enjoy the movie and have a lot of fun with it. I just get the feeling that if they ever release an Extended Cut that I'll like that WAY more.
I recall one review from somewhere that I feel really hits why critics like this movie and not KOTM, and that's that KOTM tried to take itself too seriously, while GvsKK is much more self aware that it is a big dumb hollywood blockbuster.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

GvK is my favorite MV film, favorite G-Film (tying with Shin), and one of my favorite films in general. I absolutely fucking loved it.

I liked the human characters. None of them get boring or got under my skin, had some pretty good dialogue, and had some pretty great moments. Jia is my favorite for very obvious reasons.

I also really liked the Godzilla side of the story unlike what others say. A lot of the jokes landed for me and made me laugh at times surprisingly.

I also really liked the breakneck pace of the film. Made it feel fun, energetic, and kept you up, interested, and entertained all the way to the big fights.

The kaiju, hollow earth, and fights are 10/10. Holy fuck i loved it all. Godzilla and Kong were perfectly portrayed. Kong as the sympathetic, scrappy underdog and Godzilla as an incredibly powerful force of nature. I was rooting for both of them 50/50. MV Mechagodzilla is tied with Kiryu as my favorite MG. Just...wow. I love everything about him.

The hollow earth was wonderful. A far cry from the boring, dark, series of secluded caves i thought it would be.

The action...OH MY GOD I LOVE THE ACTION. The fast, colorful, fun, energetic, amazingly well choreographed action in this film is exquisite. The best of any kaiju and/or Godzilla movie. I can’t choose a favorite fight between the Hong Kong or the MG tag team fight.

The theater experience was godly. One of, if not the best i’ve ever had. The theater was packed with casual movie goes and hardcore Godzilla/Kaiju fans such as myself. Laugh, cheers, and claps were all plentiful. You could feel the hype in the room as if it were material. Hell, my sister who never saw a Godzilla movie in her life before this says GvK is one of her favorite films of all time as well.

There were, of course, issues i had with the film. Ren was absolutely wasted. They really should’ve fleshed him out more. He had hints of disdain for Godzilla when he was at the helipad in Florida at the start of the film, but it wasn’t expanded upon.

The “Godzilla v. Kong species war” wasn’t mentioned or expanded upon past a few throwaway lines and very, very, very vague and subtle hints in Kong’s throne room.

I would’ve liked for the MG fight to be a tad bit longer. But even then it’s still fantastic.

All in all? I rate GvK a 9.8/10. The wait was so worth it. It lived up to all the hype. (For reference, G14 is an 8.2/10, K:SI is 7.9/10, and KOTM is 5/10)
Last edited by Jermobooka on Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I rented a theater for this, and it was worth every penny. I absolutely LOVE this film!!!!! Will it be winning any awards? No, absolutely not. This is a shut-your-mind-off, pure entertainment, popcorn flick, and it knows it!! There's no attempt to try to be anything it's not, there's no overcompensating for what any other movie did. It completely understands what it is, and it goes all in on it! But where I think this film succeeds well is that it manages to be both a Godzilla and Kong film. At first, it feels VERY Kong heavy. But understanding both characters, you understand that Godzilla couldn't be played out the way that Kong is, and vice versa. They're both different characters that represent different things, and I think Wingard portrayed that well. The movie is called "Godzilla vs. Kong," and while there's a lot of other things going on, it make sure to stay on course of that. I LOVE IT!!!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

KingKaiju wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:15 pm I rented a theater for this, and it was worth every penny. I absolutely LOVE this film!!!!! Will it be winning any awards? No, absolutely not. This is a shut-your-mind-off, pure entertainment, popcorn flick, and it knows it!! There's no attempt to try to be anything it's not, there's no overcompensating for what any other movie did. It completely understands what it is, and it goes all in on it! But where I think this film succeeds well is that it manages to be both a Godzilla and Kong film. At first, it feels VERY Kong heavy. But understanding both characters, you understand that Godzilla couldn't be played out the way that Kong is, and vice versa. They're both different characters that represent different things, and I think Wingard portrayed that well. The movie is called "Godzilla vs. Kong," and while there's a lot of other things going on, it make sure to stay on course of that. I LOVE IT!!!
A lot of people defended KOTM as this, "shut-your-mind off" and I never understood that. I thought that KOTM was over bloated, talked down to the viewers, and largely pretended to be more action heavy and epic than it actually was. I agree and think it was more of a Kong flick, but still loved it. Might be the funnest entry in the monster verse, and a good note to go off on.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.