GVK on HBO Max? (The Legendary/WB debate)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Italian G-Fan
Interpol Agent

Re: GVK on HBO Max? (The Legendary/WB debate)

Post by Italian G-Fan »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:03 am
Italian G-Fan wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:52 am
Angilasman wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:46 pm Just remember, y'all: don't get all caught up in the business side of things. The movie makes money or doesn't - whatever. Godzilla is to Toho what Mario is to Nintendo, so we're almost certainly getting a steady stream of Godzilla untill... (checks notes) untill we all die and/or society collapses (whichever comes first).

It's Godzilla fighting King Kong! It's fun! It's a fun event! Just have fun with it!
Can’t have fun with a movie directed by a guy known for making pretty terrible movies
You're Next and The Guest are not terrible films. Can't sum up a mans entire career with "Buh whatabout Deathnote??"
All right let’s see the rest of his movies:
Autoerotic
Death Note
Blair Witch
Home Sick
Pop Skull
V/H/S
V/H/S/2
A Horrible Way to Die
All these movies made by Adam Wingard. And guess what? They were all terrible. Only two good movies in a career of ten movies isn’t good. In fact, it’s pretty terrible.
Last edited by Italian G-Fan on Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Italian G-Fan wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:09 am All right let’s see the rest of his movies:
Autoerotic
Death Note
Blair Witch
Home Sick
Pop Skull
V/H/S
V/H/S/2
A Horrible Way to Die
All these movies made by Adam Wingard. And guess what? They were all terrible. Only two good movies in a career of eight movies isn’t good. In fact, it’s pretty terrible.
I beg to differ regarding V/H/S and especially V/H/S 2. It was the third one that blew chunks.

I didn't like Blair Witch but to be fair I thought the Original Blair Witch sucked too and never understood the hype with it or the paranormal films. Haven't even seen the rest but considering he didn't write the script for GvK I am not to worried.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Italian G-Fan wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:52 am
Angilasman wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:46 pm Just remember, y'all: don't get all caught up in the business side of things. The movie makes money or doesn't - whatever. Godzilla is to Toho what Mario is to Nintendo, so we're almost certainly getting a steady stream of Godzilla untill... (checks notes) untill we all die and/or society collapses (whichever comes first).

It's Godzilla fighting King Kong! It's fun! It's a fun event! Just have fun with it!
Can’t have fun with a movie directed by a guy known for making pretty terrible movies
I’ll tell you this right now...I don’t give a crap what his track record for movies are...after the entire nightmare of a year I’ve personally been through this upcoming Godzilla movie is going to be a breath of fresh air for my mental health and I can’t freaking wait to have fun with it.
Good for you if your life is so fucking wonderful that you can’t have fun with a movie because you’re nothing but a wannabe critic. Movies are entertainment. I just want to go and have fun and escape the crap show that reality is right now. Take your garbage mentality somewhere else. Biggest lesson I learned the past year is life is too short to be negative.
Last edited by gridiron_kaiju on Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Death Note wasn't that bad it was just unfaithful as hell. The first two Vhs films were also great.

A director however can make a bunch of good films and make a stinker and vice versa. Wait for the film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Guys, WB's ENTIRE slate for 2021 is going on HBO Max, not just GvK.

WB is banking on them to do well & most have franchise potential with sequels in mind such as Mortal Kombat, Matrix, Space Jam, & Suicide Squad.

If GvK does well, we will absolutely get more films. Simple as that

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

dillonking55 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:53 am Guys, WB's ENTIRE slate for 2021 is going on HBO Max, not just GvK.

WB is banking on them to do well & most have franchise potential with sequels in mind such as Mortal Kombat, Matrix, Space Jam, & Suicide Squad.

What does “does well” mean? You guys got to get the mentality that these films need to “do well”. They won’t do well at the box office if you’re comparing to the past. In GvsKongs case, WB paid Legendary a insane amount of money just to have it stream on their platform. It’s already profitable for Legendary, and anything it makes at the box office is gravy. WB isn’t banking on the box office(this year), they are banking on HBOMax subscriptions. There’s no comparison to the past... any all these other WB will have similar deals.

Legendary is in a very easy position to continue the Monsterverse. Remember, it doesn’t necessarily have to stay with WB in the future.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

I should probably do an Adam Wingard marathon soon. Haven’t seen his movies for some time now.

I absolutely adored You’re Next and The Guest, and the V/H/S movies are among the better found footage films. Plus I may be in the minority, but A Horrible Way to Die was decent for me.

Not saying Death Note was great, but I think its reputation is more on how its very detached from the source material, and Blair Witch too suffers from the immediate comparisons to the groundbreaking original. I though it was decent, not outright terrible myself (it has really neat ideas in the 3rd act).

For me Wingard’s definitely capable director with ideas more suited to horror/visceral stuff, which seems pretty translatable to a giant monster flick.

Plus its got Terry Rossio writing! He clearly has a passion for Godzilla. I’m expecting some 90s-early 2000s blockbuster vibes, and I mean in a good, entertaining way.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Cookson wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:37 am
dillonking55 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:53 am Guys, WB's ENTIRE slate for 2021 is going on HBO Max, not just GvK.

What does “does well” mean? You guys got to get the mentality that these films need to “do well”. They won’t do well at the box office if you’re comparing to the past. In GvsKongs case, WB paid Legendary a insane amount of money just to have it stream on their platform. It’s already profitable for Legendary, and anything it makes at the box office is gravy. WB isn’t banking on the box office(this year), they are banking on HBOMax subscriptions. There’s no comparison to the past... any all these other WB will have similar deals.

Legendary is in a very easy position to continue the Monsterverse. Remember, it doesn’t necessarily have to stay with WB in the future.
Well yeah, obviously I mean "Do well" In the context of a COVID-19 world. I know it's already in the green for Legendary if they got a similar deal with WB that Netflix was offering. WB is just happy to have new content for HBO Max.

GvK still has a chance to do modest at the box office, especially in Asia. It's practically guaranteed to do better in China than Wonder Woman 1984.
Last edited by dillonking55 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

dillonking55 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:15 am
Cookson wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:37 am

Well yeah, obviously I mean "Do well" In the context of a COVID-19 world. I know it's already in the green for Legendary if they got a similar deal with WB that Netflix was offering. WB is just happy to have new content for HBO Max.

GvK still has a chance to do modest at the box office, especially in Asia. It's practically guaranteed to do better in China than Wonder Woman 1984.
Im thinking it’s got a chance to make 150-200 globally. Which is great honestly in this world at the moment. I’m assuming it’ll be the first big Hollywood film in China in quite some time. Hopefully they can secure that March date for China as well.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Mixtape Nostalgia
Yojimbo

Post by Mixtape Nostalgia »

I am probably going to end up streaming this. Theaters are on their way out. You don't need a theater when you can have a miniature theater in your own home.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

I have yet to see a Monsterverse film in IMAX due to location and timing of release. I will not miss out on IMAX this time around!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mixtape Nostalgia wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:44 pm Theaters are on their way out.
Nah. If anything, theaters will likely see a surge in attendance once their more widely opened.

Mixtape Nostalgia
Yojimbo

Post by Mixtape Nostalgia »

Well yeah that is only because they need to be locked down. Theaters have been going down for a while now. I don't think movie theaters are "dying" just yet but I do think it is the beginning of the end if the trends continue.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Anyone else find it a bit humorous how numerous people in Hollywood were running their mouths saying "Warner Bros is killing theaters" when they are literally the only big studio that is even attempting to put blockbusters in theaters (Tenet, WW84, soon GvK), while every other studio just keeps delaying their films again and again
Last edited by Moogabunga on Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

Our savior has come to fight for us once again

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-offic ... 234883484/

No Time To Die Delayed To October giving GvK Most Of April until MK comes out
Last edited by BurningCoolMan on Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

You know... with nothing going on for several months but the end in sight for the pandemic via mass vaccination (just takes time) I wonder if this little "B-Movie" style spectacle might be just the thing to capture public interest.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

So just my thoughts on the upcoming Monarch show,

So Godzilla has been featured on HBO Max since the beginning, this is the second time we have heard whisper on a monarch show and of course WB paid Legendary for Godzilla vs Kong.

Batman, Peacemaker and Dune are all getting Spin off series for HBO Max as well.

My current feeling is that the Monarch show is happening but it was not suppose to be announced until later in the year. Considering how WB is desperate for shows for HBO Max(they're suppose to be bringing BTAS back) and the entire theatrical slate I would say odds of the Monarch show are good.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

AaronMJ90
Ronin

Post by AaronMJ90 »

Is there any word on how we in the UK can watch it? Cinemas are closed and we don't have the HBO thing.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

No one should be going to the movies right now so I implore everyone to stay at home and watch it on HBO Max if you can. It sucks as I imagine everyone here loves the theatrical experience (well, most people) but it's the responsible thing to do.

COVID has only accelerated what was bound to happen in regard to streaming but I feel theatres will be back in a big way post-pandemic (whenever that is) as people are aching for a return to normality. Disney will continue to dominate with its properties (Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars) and the Avatar sequels are likely to top everything that's ever come before (never underestimate James Cameron).
Last edited by tbeasley on Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.