GVK on HBO Max? (The Legendary/WB debate)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Re: GVK on HBO Max? (The Legendary/WB debate)

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Angilasman wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:15 pm Ooooh, okay. Alright. I was holding out hope that maybe I could safely see this in the theater, but... all things considered it's not a big deal.

It feels like, to me, that all the movies that the studios are counting on to have a big theatrical hauls are being moved to the second part of the year when, post widespread vaccination, there's a better chance for them. But with WB and their streaming service they are clustering everything in the first half of the year where they will, essentially, own half the year as the only name in big movie releases before things start up again.

Does that make sense?
I think you’re right. MGM and Universal are likely to move No Time to Die yet again from April to November. The potential box office haul for the James Bond franchise in a non-pandemic world is just so much greater than any streaming service could match in subscriber/stock growth by releasing it, so it’s no wonder that Netflix and other streamers were unwilling to pony up the reported $600 million asking price to obtain it. All of Daniel Craig’s 007 flicks have been global behemoths so MGM and Universal need his final adventure to play in theaters in a post-COVID era.

As a Godzilla fan who was disappointed that Godzilla: King of the Monsters failed to connect with general audiences, even though the writing was on the wall for the MonsterVerse after that, I was still hoping that Warner Bros. would want to continue the franchise. I hoped that they would delay Godzilla vs. Kong to a safer, post-pandemic release date to give it the chance to maximize its box office returns, whether that meant later in 2021 or even as far off as November 2022. I was hoping that WB would give Godzilla vs. Kong the best chance to redeem Godzilla’s potential as a Hollywood film franchise, to demonstrate the drawing power of Godzilla clashing with Kong on the big screen, to hopefully give moviegoers a better impression of the Big G and leave them wanting more, to maybe see the MonsterVerse continue beyond this fourth film after all.

As a Godzilla fan who wants to see Godzilla vs. Kong, I’ll certainly welcome the chance to watch it on March 26, whether I’ve gotten vaccinated by that point and I’m seeing it in a theater or I’m at home signing up for the HBO Max free trial. Still, it’s disheartening but unsurprising to see that WB is eager to unload the film to the public as soon as possible, that they’re using Godzilla and Kong’s historic Hollywood rematch to prop up their fledgling streaming service, and that they're probably correct in thinking GvsK is more valuable to WarnerMedia's stock as a driver for HBO Max subscribers than as a potential theatrical draw in a post-pandemic world. I will enjoy watching this flick when it’s available, and I’ll buy it on BRD when that gets released, and I’ll always appreciate the fact that Warner Bros. and Legendary were willing to roll the dice and shoot four mega-budget Godzilla/Kong movies in a span of about six years, and I'll always be thankful that they were irresponsible enough to shoot the fourth and most expensive one before the third one even flopped in theaters. This chapter in Godzilla history has been fun and interesting to experience as it's been happening.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Well, that is if there is a postpandemic anytime this year, with multiple mutant strains and what not and if the vaccine is anything reliable, WB(just being the distributor) wants to get money, so streaming in N America maybe the way to go. Where I live two theatres went out of business and even for a while I think people will be shy to go yo theatres. Legendary has distribution rights in China and Toho in Japan. China is Hollywood's nee moneymaker so i don't think they care that much because technically in other countries Legendary and Toho could put it on Netflix within their regions feasibly . This could be the thing that finally makes movie theatres a mere novelty, because slowly people are moving to home theatre.
Last edited by imposterzilla on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dwightkschrutebrazil
Ronin

Post by Dwightkschrutebrazil »

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I love seeing people say that this film is going to flop(on Twitter etc.)

They don’t understand that Legendary just got a healthy amount of $ with this HBOMax deal. I’m pretty sure what ever it’s gonna make at the box office globally with be gravy. Probably already more profitable than the other Monsterverse films at this point.
Last edited by Cookson on Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Cookson wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:23 am I love seeing people say that this film is going to flop(on Twitter etc.)

They don’t understand that Legendary just got a healthy amount of $ with this HBOMax deal. I’m pretty sure what ever it’s gonna make at the box office globally with be gravy. Probably already more profitable than the other Monsterverse films at this point.
Assuming the 250 million dollar deal went through, of which there is no reason to think it didn't, the budget was already made up and then some. And I'm pretty sure marketing costs are going to be offset just fine by the cut they get from HBO and worldwide release. So yep, the irony of it being possibly the lowest growing MV film at the box office and yet the highest one in terms of profit for Legendary is oddly hilarious.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

For Legendary, maybe, but certainly not for Warner Bros. Pictures. They’ve gone from funding 25% of the film’s production budget with an eye toward global box office revenue to presumably footing the entire production cost and then some to Legendary and other profit participants, in the hope that the movie might drive HBO Max subscribers and WarnerMedia stock growth to offset all of the spent money and lost revenue as much as possible.

WB has given up on Godzilla vs. Kong’s box office prospects. They’re cutting their losses and using the film to prop up their streaming service to the extent that it can. I’d like to believe that doesn’t dovetail with WB giving up on their Godzilla film franchise beyond this production but the writing is on the wall. The MonsterVerse is ending with this film, and if it doesn't end here it'll be a wonderfully unexpected surprise but there's no reason for anyone to get their hopes up for even more movies when we haven't even seen this latest one yet.

Even if the pandemic hadn't happened and GvsK opened exclusively in theaters, it was already facing an uphill challenge to salvage this Hollywood incarnation of the Godzilla film franchise. There is absolutely nothing about getting bounced around the calendar by a pandemic only to end up opening concurrently on HBO Max that has suddenly revitalized Godzilla's commercial viability as a Hollywood franchise. I'm as excited as the next fan to watch this flick in two months but let's just focus on how much we're going to enjoy this movie, and how much we're going to cherish it and its three MonsterVerse predecessors for years to come, instead of hyping ourselves into believing that this streaming-driven release plan for GvsK will somehow lead to more MonsterVerse entries.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

^Gonna have to sadly agree

I'd like to see more movies, but I don't expect there to be any more
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

WB is banking on HBOMax subscriptions
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legendary makes the MV films, they could back to Universal and make more if they wanted. It depends on what Legendary and Toho say. If Netflix was willing to drop 250m for this film for all we know Legendary could make MV films for them.

Added in 1 minute 28 seconds:
I will never understand why everyone wants to be doom and gloom all the time.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

Cookson wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:29 pm WB is banking on HBOMax subscriptions
Yeah, ALL of WB's movies are going to HBO Max this year. It isn't exclusive for just Godzilla vs Kong, plenty other WB films are following suit

Added in 2 minutes 41 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:40 pm Legendary makes the MV films, they could back to Universal and make more if they wanted. It depends on what Legendary and Toho say. If Netflix was willing to drop 250m for this film for all we know Legendary could make MV films for them.

Right. I mean Legendary already forks over at least $140+ mill for the Monsterverse films. Every major studio needs a viable franchise (Monsterverse alone coughing up $1.5 billion). Now think in terms of Legendary movie franchises. What other franchises or series does Legendary have going for them other than the Monsterverse?
Last edited by Monke on Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Monke wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:51 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:40 pm Legendary makes the MV films, they could back to Universal and make more if they wanted. It depends on what Legendary and Toho say. If Netflix was willing to drop 250m for this film for all we know Legendary could make MV films for them.

Right. I mean Legendary already forks over at least $140+ mill for the Monsterverse films. Every major studio needs a viable franchise (Monsterverse alone coughing up $1.5 billion). Now think in terms of Legendary movie franchises. What other franchises or series does Legendary have going for them other than the Monsterverse?
Legendary is probably my favorite production company next to WB and a couple of smaller old school classic ones. They have the Monsterverse, the Pokemon universe, they've been attached to Dune, John Wick, Pac Rim, TDK, they've got a couple of franchises up their sleeve.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

now can we just get the fucking trailer already
your source of self destruction

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I don't think this is the last Monsterverse flick because of how WB and Legendary fought over it and honestly that deal benefitted Legendary tons. If it does well on their streaming services and also you got to remember it depends on how it does in the areas where Toho and Legendary are distributors. Which is their real bank.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I’ll take the opposite view of things and say I’m fairly certain this is the last film of this batch

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

I'm not sure that the idea of GvK being released on both HBO Max and theatres is a sign of WB not having faith in the movie or the Monsterverse as a whole when if anything it just shows the exact opposite. The fact that WB was willing to pay that much money for the film as well as have it be the first thing you see on the HBO Max promotion does indicate that WB does at least still see potential in it. Otherwise we would've seen the film go straight to Netflix or strictly to HBO Max only.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I dont think so, alot of behind the scenes talk indicates that there is much interest in continuing, so they have a franchise of their own. People say Dune, but insiders really have little faith in it. But we will see. kaijuguy19 exactly. They are trying to make up for losses and establish control over film for the first of the year. There is also the possibility that these new lockdowns, super strains, and success or failure of vaccines vs the new strains could shut down theatres indefinitely in the USA. In my area, two theatres have shut down completely. This current trend favors hybrid releases or streaming.
Last edited by imposterzilla on Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I said it in another thread, WB does not have a franchise with tree trunk legs like the Monsterverse does, it's an almost $2 billion dollar franchise. They won't end it because they need something different and otherworldly to at least contend with the capeflick competition. Also, the Monsterverse isn't theirs, it's Legendarys, so the franchise can be iced, but it can be revived at any other studio.

WB made a mess of DC, and has Dune in their sleeve, but that has a high potential of not being the film franchise they hope it'll be.

They won't rid of this franchise any time soon.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Just remember, y'all: don't get all caught up in the business side of things. The movie makes money or doesn't - whatever. Godzilla is to Toho what Mario is to Nintendo, so we're almost certainly getting a steady stream of Godzilla untill... (checks notes) untill we all die and/or society collapses (whichever comes first).

It's Godzilla fighting King Kong! It's fun! It's a fun event! Just have fun with it!

Italian G-Fan
Interpol Agent

Post by Italian G-Fan »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:46 pm Just remember, y'all: don't get all caught up in the business side of things. The movie makes money or doesn't - whatever. Godzilla is to Toho what Mario is to Nintendo, so we're almost certainly getting a steady stream of Godzilla untill... (checks notes) untill we all die and/or society collapses (whichever comes first).

It's Godzilla fighting King Kong! It's fun! It's a fun event! Just have fun with it!
Can’t have fun with a movie directed by a guy known for making pretty terrible movies

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Italian G-Fan wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:52 am
Angilasman wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:46 pm Just remember, y'all: don't get all caught up in the business side of things. The movie makes money or doesn't - whatever. Godzilla is to Toho what Mario is to Nintendo, so we're almost certainly getting a steady stream of Godzilla untill... (checks notes) untill we all die and/or society collapses (whichever comes first).

Can’t have fun with a movie directed by a guy known for making pretty terrible movies
You're Next and The Guest are not terrible films. Can't sum up a mans entire career with "Buh whatabout Deathnote??"