GVK on HBO Max? (The Legendary/WB debate)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Re: GVK on HBO Max? (The Legendary/WB debate)

Post by BurningCoolMan »

Monke wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:17 pm
BurningCoolMan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:55 pm
Monke wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:48 pm Y’all seem to be forgetting the news dump we’ll be getting from Entertainment news within the next 9 days
these previews are usually short and don't hold a lot of new info, so I wouldn't call it a news dump, we might get lucky and get some cool new screenshots though
Yeah I felt using the term “info dump” may have been too much. What I will say is, like others have said, is that screencaps and some actual new information may be revealed as oppose to recycled news we’ve been getting

Added in 1 minute 41 seconds:
Moogabunga wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:03 pm
BurningCoolMan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:55 pm

these previews are usually short and don't hold a lot of new info, so I wouldn't call it a news dump, we might get lucky and get some cool new screenshots though
Yeah, anyone who is expecting a ton of info is gonna be seriously disappointed. We will get at least 2 new screenshots though, presumably one of human character(s), and hopefully one with Godzilla and Kong in the same frame

Added in 3 minutes 1 second:
By the way, anyone who wants to get an idea as to what the marketing timeline will possibly be like should keep any eye on Mortal Kombat. April release, rumors of a possible January trailer debut - 3 months marketing.
And for a delay, IF Mortal Kombat were to be delayed, it would become increasingly more likely that GvK follows. But until then, I'd presume that GvK is staying in May
If MK does stay, I would assume it’ll get a trailer before GvK. Unless they are doing a 1 trailer campaign for MK or something along those lines. Different genres different campaigns
apparently, MK is complete shit, so that's why there not spending a lot on marketing

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

why is no one talking about how the forums were just hacked?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:26 am why is no one talking about how the forums were just hacked?
At this point it's just a regular occurrence. Better not to give that maniac attention.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:28 am
BurningCoolMan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:26 am why is no one talking about how the forums were just hacked?
At this point it's just a regular occurrence. Better not to give that maniac attention.
Oh no, they discovered my super secret spyware. Oh wait they mean the other guy, never mind, pretend you didn't hear that.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:45 pm
JesstrK wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:22 pm Don’t know if it means anything for us, but No Time To Die just got delayed again to an unspecified Fall date.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/no-time-to ... 234672055/
this probably means F9 will also move since Universal doesn't seem too confident of things being good enough during the first half of the year
And they shouldn't be confident. CDC yesterday stated they expect social distancing guidelines to remain in tact throughout the end of the year, not even considering movie viewer habits moving forward.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

I mean surely things will be better in April/March than this past December right? December was deemed good enough for WW84 and now with a vaccine being rolled out, it’s expected to get worse again? I think with the hybrid release, GvK will be fine
Last edited by Monke on Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

^It's not that things are expected to get worse, but more that it's still going to be a while until "normal." The vaccine rollout worldwide has been.. not great.. then accounting for variants, other unforeseen occurrences, etc, and it's best to take it one day at a time. In the meantime though you can see why WB would say "let's just mitigate our theater revenue losses and pump up the HBO subscriptions if we can." I wonder if Universal would do the same.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

'Many Saints of Newark', which is a Warner Bros/HBO MAX release was delayed to September 24, 2021 - original date was March 12 2021. So anyone who was claiming that GvK had no shot of moving because of its hybrid release strategy may want to rethink their opinions.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Moogabunga wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:30 pm 'Many Saints of Newark', which is a Warner Bros/HBO MAX release was delayed to September 24, 2021 - original date was March 12 2021. So anyone who was claiming that GvK had no shot of moving because of its hybrid release strategy may want to rethink their opinions.
It was moved because WB has hopes of making it an awards season contender and wanted to move it right into peak "judging contenders before coming up with a nominee list" season.

I'm excited for this film as much as the next guy but I very much doubt WB has the same plans for GVK.

RIP Evan.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:58 pm
Moogabunga wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:30 pm 'Many Saints of Newark', which is a Warner Bros/HBO MAX release was delayed to September 24, 2021 - original date was March 12 2021. So anyone who was claiming that GvK had no shot of moving because of its hybrid release strategy may want to rethink their opinions.
It was moved because WB has hopes of making it an awards season contender and wanted to move it right into peak "judging contenders before coming up with a nominee list" season.

I'm excited for this film as much as the next guy but I very much doubt WB has the same plans for GVK.
we have now idea what going on at WB, so if GvK gets delayed, it's delayed
Last edited by BurningCoolMan on Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

I know it’s unlikely (and expensive), but I really think it would be worth it to debut the trailer during Super Bowl with so many eyeballs watching. It’s only 25 days away, and it would also send a strong message that movies are still happening and there’s an excitement about them.

The trailer could then go streaming everywhere else online and on regular TV ads right after that.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:09 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:58 pm

we have now idea what going on at WB, so if GvK gets delayed, it's delayed
Yes, that's true, we don't know what plans they have and we really can't do shit about another delay, I'm saying the reason Many Saints of Newark got delayed again is a reason that will never affect GVK to stop unnecessary worrying.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

Ok if GVK Sticks to It's May Date Makes Somewhere Between KOTM-G14 At The Box office And Brings in 6-10 Million New subscribers To HBO MAX then I think that would guarantee The Monsterverse will continue

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:36 pm Ok if GVK Sticks to It's May Date Makes Somewhere Between KOTM-G14 At The Box office
I haven't tracked the box office as closely as you guys, but... isn't that wildly optimistic?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:51 pm
BurningCoolMan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:36 pm Ok if GVK Sticks to It's May Date Makes Somewhere Between KOTM-G14 At The Box office
I haven't tracked the box office as closely as you guys, but... isn't that wildly optimistic?
tenet made $363.1 million in September last year, it really depends on how covid is in Asian countries and if F9 gets delayed like Deadline predicts

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Yeah, I highly doubt this film is going to sniff G14, or even KOTM Box Office numbers, unless things REALLY turn around by May. If Tenet couldn’t break $400m worldwide, no way does this film. I’m sure Legendary feels the same, which is why they want to get paid.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:31 pm tenet made $363.1 million in September last year, it really depends on how covid is in Asian countries and if F9 gets delayed like Deadline predicts
Tenet was also in theaters for months with zero competition and wasn't available on HBO Max. Fast 9 will def move, that shouldn't even be questioned. Its a billion dollar franchise that Universal will not risk underperforming.
KingKaiju wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:37 am Yeah, I highly doubt this film is going to sniff G14, or even KOTM Box Office numbers, unless things REALLY turn around by May. If Tenet couldn’t break $400m worldwide, no way does this film. I’m sure Legendary feels the same, which is why they want to get paid.
If things with the pandemic start to take a slight turn around by May Godzilla vs Kong still wont even come close to Tenets number. They are expecting 477,000 deaths by February 6th, which is extremely sad. My point is even by May many people are not going to be willing to return to theaters...

If Wonder Woman 1984 is barely passing 130 million now Godzilla vs Kong isn't going to be doing much better in May. Theaters will be dead until fall at the earliest I think.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The MV will continue because Legendary has already been paid.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

We can't be sure. I expect more MV contents to be developed such as games, comics etc. But new films in the near future? Hard to be sure of that at this moment. The future is in the mist yet.

Added in 4 minutes 13 seconds:
Legendary(and Warner) will calculate profit and loss whether this franchise still has potential to make net profits when they invested massive amount of production budget. And most of all, Toho is the final decision maker.
Last edited by vastatosaurus on Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

If anybody has any real, valid argument as to why I should believe this is still releasing in May 2021, I'm all ears

Unless EW comes out and blows a load on us next week, I think we can be certain that this is getting delayed.... again...
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated