GVK on HBO Max? (The Legendary/WB debate)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
SoggyNoodles2016

GVK on HBO Max? (The Legendary/WB debate)

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

A thread to discuss the news about GBK potentially being on HBO Max and the Legendary debate.

RIP Evan.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Re: GVK on HBO Max? (The Legendary/WB debate)

Post by vibramrunner »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:29 pm HBO Max and the Legendary debate
Don't think we'll get a definitive winner. Probably a team-up against Disney or something lame.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

First Post here but I have to say while I would prefer that the film gets the WW84 treatment with HBO Max and theatrical release I am going to side with Legendary they put up most of the budget and have the most to lose. While I personally don't want this to be dumped on Netflix 250 million for this film is very generous and realistic.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

#TeamLegendary

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

#TeamWarner

Listen I get that Legendary spent 75% of the budget and I understand completely what their gripes are; however it sure as hell isn't my money so I don't really give a damn. I'm thinking of this in terms of being a consumer.
And with Legendary getting their way, you would get it strictly on Netflix with no theatrical release, which is trash or you get a strict theatrical release which means I guarantee you the film gets delayed, which would also be trash

Just give me the current deal, May 21 2021 on HBO MAX and in theaters

Added in 8 minutes 9 seconds:

Moth
Gotengo Officer

Post by Moth »

#TeamLegendary
because I prefer Netflix's UI over HBO Max lol
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

Moogabunga wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:05 pm #TeamWarner

Listen I get that Legendary spent 75% of the budget and I understand completely what their gripes are; however it sure as hell isn't my money so I don't really give a damn. I'm thinking of this in terms of being a consumer.
And with Legendary getting their way, you would get it strictly on Netflix with no theatrical release, which is trash or you get a strict theatrical release which means I guarantee you the film gets delayed, which would also be trash

Just give me the current deal, May 21 2021 on HBO MAX and in theaters

Added in 8 minutes 9 seconds:
#TEAMlegendary because HBO Max is a shitty app
Last edited by BurningCoolMan on Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

So yous are actively rooting for this to be dumped on Netflix or another delay? Well that is certainly interesting...

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

My opinion is that WB is already backtracking on alot of there plans so people shouldn't be hating on them as much since it's not looking more like there plan was only for there 2021 slate anyway which will more or less think still been during the time of a pandemic. WB should've communicated with everybody better in a timely manner. I personally don't want GvK to be dumped on Netflix or be delayed so I general as consumer with no streaming surface I have go with the company that provides me with the best way for me to watch their content in this WB because it provides a theatrical release and let be honest Legendary is being more protective of Dune anyway. Officially I'm neutral due to the pro and cons of both sides of the debates but at the of the day despite how much I disapprove of how WB threw everyone of it's talent and partners under the bus their plan os much more convenient for me as a consumer without a streaming service and to a lesser extent I want a physical release down the line as well and Netflix doesn't usually do that.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly i understand why both sides are doing what they're doing, but.. it's pretty clear Warner Bros. are gonna win this debate in the end unless Legendary actively sues them for it, which i don't see happening.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

I don't care whatever they do if I am given the option to see the movie in theater.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

My biggest concern with how Warner Bros is releasing GvK currently, is how theaters treat "Day-and-Date" releases which is what GvK has now, with it being released simultaneously in theaters and HBO Max. The problem is, most theaters don't tolerate releases like this. NATO (National Association of Theater Owners), with which most theaters belong too (AMC, Regal, Cinemark, probably other smaller theaters too), has a policy where if a film has a "Day-and-Date" release, that film is not allowed to play in theaters that are associated with NATO. So, unless something changes soon in their policies, then we probably won't see GvK in very many theaters, if they are open by then, which is not a 100% guarantee right now. If nothing does change, then we'll only see GvK on HBO Max for a month and then disappear for while.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

It is important for me to watch the movie in the theater. I will watch it again on streaming, but it will be very disappointing if I have to watch it only on streaming.
Last edited by vastatosaurus on Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Gojira2K wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:53 pm My biggest concern with how Warner Bros is releasing GvK currently, is how theaters treat "Day-and-Date" releases which is what GvK has now, with it being released simultaneously in theaters and HBO Max. The problem is, most theaters don't tolerate releases like this. NATO (National Association of Theater Owners), with which most theaters belong too (AMC, Regal, Cinemark, probably other smaller theaters too), has a policy where if a film has a "Day-and-Date" release, that film is not allowed to play in theaters that are associated with NATO. So, unless something changes soon in their policies, then we probably won't see GvK in very many theaters, if they are open by then, which is not a 100% guarantee right now. If nothing does change, then we'll only see GvK on HBO Max for a month and then disappear for while.
I mean, perhaps I'm greatly mistaken, but I can't recall WW84 having any issues. As far as I know WW84 has been allowed to play in every theater that is open (with social distance)

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

The president of AMC have said WW1984 was a special exception because it was supposed to be released in the peak time of the pandemic and they have discussed with Warner about that before the decision.

Added in 1 minute 14 seconds:
He was pissed off that Warner didn't ever try to talk with AMC this time.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Moogabunga wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:00 pm
Gojira2K wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:53 pm My biggest concern with how Warner Bros is releasing GvK currently, is how theaters treat "Day-and-Date" releases which is what GvK has now, with it being released simultaneously in theaters and HBO Max. The problem is, most theaters don't tolerate releases like this. NATO (National Association of Theater Owners), with which most theaters belong too (AMC, Regal, Cinemark, probably other smaller theaters too), has a policy where if a film has a "Day-and-Date" release, that film is not allowed to play in theaters that are associated with NATO. So, unless something changes soon in their policies, then we probably won't see GvK in very many theaters, if they are open by then, which is not a 100% guarantee right now. If nothing does change, then we'll only see GvK on HBO Max for a month and then disappear for while.
I mean, perhaps I'm greatly mistaken, but I can't recall WW84 having any issues. As far as I know WW84 has been allowed to play in every theater that is open (with social distance)
I feel like WW84 is bit harder to quantify, because right now the major chains (AMC, Regal, Cinemark) are not open right now in US, not to my knowledge anyway. And like I said, not all theaters are apart of NATO. The ones that are showing WW84 are probably the "mom and pop" theaters or really small chains, that aren't apart of NATO, and thus probably don't care about "Day-and-date" releases. Also it seems that Warner Bros treated WW84 way differently then they are with their 2021 slate, so that should be taken into account too.
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... io-profits

Here is the article AMC CEO talking about why WW1984 was an exception

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

AMC is just being hypocritical they were they one's that allowed Universal to shorten the theatrical window that eventua)y had a cascading effect on everyone.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

Moogabunga wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:42 pm So yous are actively rooting for this to be dumped on Netflix or another delay? Well that is certainly interesting...

netflix no (unless simultaneous release), delay kinda

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

For me personally, I am down for a delay. With how my state is going, theaters probably won't be open here until September, so unless I travel to a different state to go see GvK, my only option will watching it on HBO Max.
Last edited by Gojira2K on Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn