Monsterverse Rodan: How would you have done him?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Monsterverse Rodan: How would you have done him?

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

So, I saw some threads based around how you would like Reiwa incarnations of characters to be. This sparked a little idea. If you could start from scratch, how would you have written Rodan?

Personally, as much as I like the Rodan we got, I would have made him much closer to the GTTHM incarnation in terms of personality. As for design, since we're starting from scratch, I'd make him look much more avian (kinda like how the final film did) with the wings and crests resembling Pteranodon. However, he'd have no feathers and a face best compared to a Hypnocatrice from Monster Hunter. He'd be able to breath fire and last in a fight with Godzilla. After getting defeated by Ghidorah, he'd be absent for most of the movie up until the final fight, where he'd suprise attack Ghidorah and give the others an opportunity to turn the battle around.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Re: Monsterverse Rodan: How would you have done him?

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. I think Rodan was perfect in the movie in both design (even though I remember when I first saw the design leak and hoped it was fake because I didn't like it, but, obviously, my opinion changed) and personality.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

MV Rodan is my favorite rodan both design and personality wise, so I wouldn't change him directly, I would change his role in the film however. I would have him battle Godzilla, have Ghidorah show up and take out both of them, then have Rodan dissapear until the final fight where Godzilla, Mothra, and him all battle Ghidorah.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Tbh I would’ve given him a standalone origin film in 2016
Yooo 8-)

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I'm fine with what we got. Just would've preferred a little more of a fight against Ghidorah. But that's a movie issue, not a Rodan issue.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

CrimsonBloodX wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. I think Rodan was perfect in the movie in both design (even though I remember when I first saw the design leak and hoped it was fake because I didn't like it, but, obviously, my opinion changed) and personality.
Me too. I'm just wonderign what you guys would do with him if you were fully in charge of writing and/or design.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Ehhhh, not much. I would make a lot bigger though, somethings still off to me about how small he is compared to Godzilla. He should be slightly smaller than Godzilla at least.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Design wise? Wouldn't change him at all. MV Rodan is honestly my favorite incarnation of the character, it manages to smoothly take all of the aspects about the original Rodan and update them appropriately without taking anything away from him. His character is great too, the opportunistic behavior is a neat take on his usual "all for himself" schtick.

Only thing I would adjust is giving him a bigger role, and show him turning against Ghidorah in the final act to get that classic 3v1 action and act as some sort of a "redemption" for him in film.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed May 06, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dv-218 wrote:
Only thing I would adjust is giving him a bigger role, and show him turning against Ghidorah in the final act to get that classic 3v1 action and act as some sort of a "redemption" for him in film.
This.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Dv-218 wrote:Design wise? Wouldn't change him at all. MV Rodan is honestly my favorite incarnation of the character, it manages to smoothly take all of the aspects about the original Rodan and update them appropriately without taking anything away from him. His character is great too, the opportunistic behavior is a neat take on his usual "all for himself" schtick.

I don't know why it feels so good to know someone else liked Rodan's personality in KOTM but it does.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:Design wise? Wouldn't change him at all. MV Rodan is honestly my favorite incarnation of the character, it manages to smoothly take all of the aspects about the original Rodan and update them appropriately without taking anything away from him. His character is great too, the opportunistic behavior is a neat take on his usual "all for himself" schtick.

I don't know why it feels so good to know someone else liked Rodan's personality in KOTM but it does.
Honestly, when you get down to it it's really not that much different from previous incarnations. It's a new variation for sure, but boils down to the same thing- the thing that Rodan cares about the most is whatever benefits him the best.

Added in 3 minutes 55 seconds:
Living Corpse wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
This.
Would have been really statisfying too after how easily Ghidorah yeeted him 1 on 1. Just imagine that scene where KG is about to "drain" Godzilla but instead Rodan swoops down like a giant falcon and starts pecking the sh*t out of him, giving time for Godzilla to recover and for Emma to get Ghidorah's attention using the Orca. Could have made for a badass moment :)
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed May 06, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dv-218 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
This.
Would have been really statisfying too after how easily Ghidorah yeeted him 1 on 1. Just imagine that scene where KG is about to "drain" Godzilla but instead Rodan swoops down like a giant falcon and starts pecki the sh*t out of him, giving time for Godzilla to recover and for Emma to get Ghidorah's attention using the Orca. Could have made for a badass moment :)
I'm hoping he gets some redemption in GvK.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I would change three things:

1. His size. Realism be damned, I would make Rodan as tall as if not taller than Godzilla himself, making him feel much more Showa-esque.

2. His personality. Rodan felt like a skreeonking coward in KOTM, and I wasn't a big fan of that at all.

3. His roar. This would be the first change I'd immediately make. Rodan's new roar just SUCKS. It sounds nothing like him. Rodan's original roar is around as iconic and awesome as Godzilla's; it's unique and terrifying and truly sounds like something that would both make you empty your bowels and drop your jaw in awe. His new roar, on the other hand, sounds downright generic. It sounds as lame and common as any everyday 'bird of prey' screech that you hear in movies and TV shows 24-7. If I had a say in how Rodan should be handled in the MonsterVerse, I would do as much as I could to make his roar sound as close as possible to the original, classic Rodan roar.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I would have made him the main villain!

Rodan coming out of the volcano was awesome. That should have been the whole movie.

Let's see. I would have toned it down on the lava/lava wings too. He should have been cooled down by the time he got to America IMO. Leading to a much longer fight with Mothra. Also, something about him looks too birdlike. I don't know if it's the color, his face shape, his eyes, or what.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Wed May 06, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I would have made him the main villain!

Rodan coming out of the volcano was awesome. That should have been the whole movie.

Let's see. I would have toned it down on the lava/lava wings too. He should have been cooled down by the time he got to America IMO. Leading to a much longer fight with Mothra. Also, something about him looks too birdlike. I don't know if it's the color, his face shape, his eyes, or what.
A solo film would have been nice, if that's what you're talking about.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I would have made him the main villain!

A solo film would have been nice, if that's what you're talking about.
Nah. Not a solo film.

Just would have been nice if they continued Rodan's awakening the entire movie. That gritty awakening, the disasters he causes, response by the humans, leading to a confrontation with Mothra, and eventually Godzilla. Ghidorah was used too much, at the expense of Mothra and Rodan. :\
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Wed May 06, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Italian G-Fan
Interpol Agent

Post by Italian G-Fan »

ShinGojira14 wrote:I would change three things:

1. His size. Realism be damned, I would make Rodan as tall as if not taller than Godzilla himself, making him feel much more Showa-esque.

2. His personality. Rodan felt like a skreeonking coward in KOTM, and I wasn't a big fan of that at all.

3. His roar. This would be the first change I'd immediately make. Rodan's new roar just SUCKS. It sounds nothing like him. Rodan's original roar is around as iconic and awesome as Godzilla's; it's unique and terrifying and truly sounds like something that would both make you empty your bowels and drop your jaw in awe. His new roar, on the other hand, sounds downright generic. It sounds as lame and common as any everyday 'bird of prey' screech that you hear in movies and TV shows 24-7. If I had a say in how Rodan should be handled in the MonsterVerse, I would do as much as I could to make his roar sound as close as possible to the original, classic Rodan roar.
Personality wise this Rodan wasn’t any different from the other Rodans post-Invasion of the Astro Monsters: all the Rodans after that movie were just like Legendary Rodan, so I don’t see any problem here
For his new roar... meh. I’m fine with it. Just like the Legendary Godzilla’s roar: both of them don’t sound anything like the original roars (that’s why I was happy when the original roars of Godzilla were used in KOTM) but they are both fine roars. Almost generic roars, but they are both fine
Last edited by Italian G-Fan on Thu May 07, 2020 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I might be mishearing things, but i'm pretty sure that Rodan made a variation of his original roar or atleast something similar when he attempted to size up Godzilla.

Italian G-Fan
Interpol Agent

Post by Italian G-Fan »

Dv-218 wrote:I might be mishearing things, but i'm pretty sure that Rodan made a variation of his original roar or atleast something similar when he attempted to size up Godzilla.
Nah I heard it too

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

ShinGojira14 wrote:I would change three things:

Pretty much this down to a T.

I still can't believe they didn't use Rodan's iconic roar...
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.