If Legendary moves on - Who else could pick up G? Long post

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: If Legendary moves on - Who else could pick up G? Long post

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

JGAR wrote:Isn’t “World of Godzilla” just a brand title meant to expand the exposure of the franchise? And not a cinematic universe like how’s it been described all around?
It is, but they also have plans for a cinematic universe and untill we get something offical, a lot of people are using it to describe the universe.

RIP Evan.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

JGAR wrote:Isn’t “World of Godzilla” just a brand title meant to expand the exposure of the franchise? And not a cinematic universe like how’s it been described all around?
The reality is no one knows a damn thing regarding Toho and Godzilla's future. That doesn't stop people from pretending they do and spreading horseship around, i.e Toho's contract with Legendary

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I believe so. If I recall correctly, it was mentioned briefly with the idea of other solo monster movies, and then websites like Godizlla-movies.com took it and ran with it like they made an official announcement for a new shared universe. That, and every other youtuber names GodzillaFan1954 or whatever.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm just assuming considering that it's the big thing in movies right now that Toho would want to do something similar later on down the line. That, or a second Godzilla vs. series ala the Heisei Era that just has Godzilla having a tournament with a bunch of other kaiju.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Maybe Toho should just set up their own western branch.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

KingKaiju wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
shadowgigan wrote:Toho, no american films for almost a decade after the current triology. That is my ideal outcome.
I enjoy the movies we got (for the most part) from the MV but man I wish they were better.
Yeah. I’ve liked all the films so far, but they definitely leave more to be desired. I’m also all for a new anime trilogy. But I also think that’s a key word, I find that when they just go and keep churning these films out, it kind of dulls. I’d rather have 3-4 solid films than 10 so-so movies.
This is exactly my thoughts. Godzilla films seems to work in a cyclical manner. I don't want to overload audiences with Godzilla. I would definitely prefer quality over quantity.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm beginning to feel as if Legendary's done, Toho just makes their own film series while simultaneously tries to find an American successor. Once they do, they end the Japanese Godzilla run with a bang,and then just let the American studio run wild until they finish up. Then they make another era, rinse and repeat.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

tyrantgoji wrote:I'm beginning to feel as if Legendary's done, Toho just makes their own film series while simultaneously tries to find an American successor. Once they do, they end the Japanese Godzilla run with a bang,and then just let the American studio run wild until they finish up. Then they make another era, rinse and repeat.
Fine by me as long as we don’t get another 10 year hiatus with no films at all. That was rough.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

JesstrK wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:I'm beginning to feel as if Legendary's done, Toho just makes their own film series while simultaneously tries to find an American successor. Once they do, they end the Japanese Godzilla run with a bang,and then just let the American studio run wild until they finish up. Then they make another era, rinse and repeat.
Fine by me as long as we don’t get another 10 year hiatus with no films at all. That was rough.
Eventually it has to end or at least take a breather
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I just think that 2-3 years in between films is perfect fine. I think the problem that Toho has had in the past is just that they push these movies out so quick. I think 2-3 years between films really allow for any necessary adjustments, as well as time for the creative team to really try to come up with something great.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

KingKaiju wrote:I just think that 2-3 years in between films is perfect fine. I think the problem that Toho has had in the past is just that they push these movies out so quick. I think 2-3 years between films really allow for any necessary adjustments, as well as time for the creative team to really try to come up with something great.
>looks at plans for "World of Godzilla"
>They want movies once a year

"History shows again and again..."
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

gottatalktothefake wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:I just think that 2-3 years in between films is perfect fine. I think the problem that Toho has had in the past is just that they push these movies out so quick. I think 2-3 years between films really allow for any necessary adjustments, as well as time for the creative team to really try to come up with something great.
>looks at plans for "World of Godzilla"
>They want movies once a year

"History shows again and again..."
If that means every other year a film, one from the US studios and one from Toho, I'm fine. If not... Well, here's to another Heisei and Millenium series.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The Toho that churned out Godzilla movies annually for the New Year might be organizationally different than the one that exists today. It's hard to say what kind of decisions they'll make with regards to scheduling movies.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I think Toho should start directly co-developing and co-producing movies with American studios. That might help to free up a lot of the character rights issues since Toho would actually have a personal stake in the films. It would probably be their best bet if they wanna break into the international market.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I think Toho should start directly co-developing and co-producing movies with American studios. That might help to free up a lot of the character rights issues since Toho would actually have a personal stake in the films. It would probably be their best bet if they wanna break into the international market.
THIS.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Is no one going to bring up that Godzilla could be brought into the Marvel cinematic universe due to the Godzilla Marvel comics from the 70's? Godzilla is literally part of the Marvel comics universe. They even renamed him "Levithan" after they lost the rights to Godzilla.

If Toho really wanted to expand into the international market that would be the surefire way to do it. I also don't think it would be unlikely for Disney to be interested as some fans think it would be. Something like the Avengers fighting Godzilla would generate a lot of attention.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

While I'd be cool with a Marvel vs Godzilla movie, I don't think I want Disney going anywhere near the Big G.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Living Corpse wrote:While I'd be cool with a Marvel vs Godzilla movie, I don't think I want Disney going anywhere near the Big G.
Ad long as Lucasfilm stayed away the worst that would happen is they remake all the showa films, set them in the mcu and find a way to get Godzilla in the Avengers.

Or they keep him separate and remake all the showa films.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Disney has way too much IP and based on how much the Godzilla franchise has been performing as of late, I don’t think they’re interested
Yooo 8-)

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

They were interested in the F4 lmao..
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira