Who will win? Who are you rooting for? Godzilla vs. Kong poll

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Who will win in Godzilla vs. Kong? AND who do you WANT to win?

Want Godzilla, predict Godzilla
45%
Want Godzilla, predict Kong
17%
Want Kong, predict Kong
4%
Want Kong, predict Godzilla
13%
Predict Godzilla, but don't really care who wins
12%
Predict Kong, but don't really care who wins
9%

Total votes: 149

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Re: Who will win? Who are you rooting for? Godzilla vs. Kong poll

Post by KingKong2005 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:You cannot have a character win every single time and be interesting. It's why most times the franchise reboots kicked in it basically dies out. If there is no challenge or threat to a character, if at one point the character does not lose to a superior but finds a way to come back, then all interest and tensions are lost because "Godzilla always wins!".

If they're going to undermine King Ghidorah, who's had it bad after his original film and deserved so much more better, then King Kong is the monster Godzilla should learn from. Both are smart, but if Godzilla hasn't had the means to learn from a foe and come back with a strategic plan implementing all his advantages, then what better monster than Kong? Kong is smarter, should logically be stronger, faster, more agile, be durable enough to tangle with Goji, etc. On paper it makes sense that Kong would be super challenging for Godzilla, but I'm willing to bet that, much like KOTM, it will be just Godzilla pushing Kong around like he did Ghidorah.
Ghidorah wasn't undermined in KOTM. The only time Godzilla was "pushing Ghidorah around" (excluding the Burning scene) is the Mexico battle. The two Gs held their own in Antartica and the former part of the Boston battle.
Nope. Ghidorah in Antartica had NO physical power compared to Godzilla. Throughout the entire film, all Ghidorah is able to do to actually floor Godzilla is a triple gravity beam attack. Anything not power based gets shrugged off by Godzilla.

Don't know about you guys, but when I see a character constantly winning, I tend to root for the underdog who actually earns wins and isn't granted powerups.
Last edited by KingKong2005 on Fri May 15, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

KingKong2005 wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:You cannot have a character win every single time and be interesting. It's why most times the franchise reboots kicked in it basically dies out. If there is no challenge or threat to a character, if at one point the character does not lose to a superior but finds a way to come back, then all interest and tensions are lost because "Godzilla always wins!".

If they're going to undermine King Ghidorah, who's had it bad after his original film and deserved so much more better, then King Kong is the monster Godzilla should learn from. Both are smart, but if Godzilla hasn't had the means to learn from a foe and come back with a strategic plan implementing all his advantages, then what better monster than Kong? Kong is smarter, should logically be stronger, faster, more agile, be durable enough to tangle with Goji, etc. On paper it makes sense that Kong would be super challenging for Godzilla, but I'm willing to bet that, much like KOTM, it will be just Godzilla pushing Kong around like he did Ghidorah.
Ghidorah wasn't undermined in KOTM. The only time Godzilla was "pushing Ghidorah around" (excluding the Burning scene) is the Mexico battle. The two Gs held their own in Antartica and the former part of the Boston battle.
Nope. Ghidorah in Antartica had NO physical power compared to Godzilla. Throughout the entire film, all Ghidorah is able to do to actually floor Godzilla is a triple gravity beam attack. Anything not power based gets shrugged off by Godzilla.

Don't know about you guys, but when I see a character constantly winning, I tend to root for the underdog who actually earns wins and isn't granted powerups.
Even when Godzilla was supercharged from the nuke, he didn't curbstomp Ghidorah. They were equal fighters with the tides occasionally turning (Godzilla falling, the ORCA distraction).

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Ghidorah wasn't undermined in KOTM. The only time Godzilla was "pushing Ghidorah around" (excluding the Burning scene) is the Mexico battle. The two Gs held their own in Antartica and the former part of the Boston battle.

Even when Godzilla was supercharged from the nuke, he didn't curbstomp Ghidorah. They were equal fighters with the tides occasionally turning (Godzilla falling, the ORCA distraction).
No, no. He stomped Ghidorah up until Ghidorah got that electrical grid powerup. Ghidorah grabbing Godzilla and taking him to the skies came out of nowhere.
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KingKong2005 wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote: Nope. Ghidorah in Antartica had NO physical power compared to Godzilla. Throughout the entire film, all Ghidorah is able to do to actually floor Godzilla is a triple gravity beam attack. Anything not power based gets shrugged off by Godzilla.

No, no. He stomped Ghidorah up until Ghidorah got that electrical grid powerup. Ghidorah grabbing Godzilla and taking him to the skies came out of nowhere.
I would hate to see you judge a boxing or mma fight. Ghidorah would look at you and asked what more do I have to do.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

miguelnuva wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Even when Godzilla was supercharged from the nuke, he didn't curbstomp Ghidorah. They were equal fighters with the tides occasionally turning (Godzilla falling, the ORCA distraction).
I would hate to see you judge a boxing or mma fight. Ghidorah would look at you and asked what more do I have to do.
He would have little to no points for physical attacks, and we all know you can't retreat from a cage match, like Ghidorah retreated from Antartica :D
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KingKong2005 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote: No, no. He stomped Ghidorah up until Ghidorah got that electrical grid powerup. Ghidorah grabbing Godzilla and taking him to the skies came out of nowhere.
He would have little to no points for physical attacks, and we all know you can't retreat from a cage match, like Ghidorah retreated from Antartica :D
So you would ignore the three knockdown rule or Godzilla getting blasting out the ring in this scenario.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

miguelnuva wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
So you would ignore the three knockdown rule or Godzilla getting blasting out the ring in this scenario.
There is no ring, good lord. Ghidorah stood no chance physically, so he resorted to his triple gravity beam attack which was the only thing capable of damaging Godzilla (at least an attack he didn't shrug off). Godzilla handles two beams fine, three beams for some reason floor him. It's the only thing Ghidorah had in his arsenal. Godzilla approached him about to actually end it and Ghidorah retreated. He threw in his own towel :lol:
Last edited by KingKong2005 on Sun May 17, 2020 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KingKong2005 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote: He would have little to no points for physical attacks, and we all know you can't retreat from a cage match, like Ghidorah retreated from Antartica :D
There is no ring, good lord. Ghidorah stood no chance physically, so he resorted to his triple gravity beam attack which was the only thing capable of damaging Godzilla (at least an attack he didn't shrug off). Godzilla handles two beams fine, three beams for some reason floor him. It's the only thing Ghidorah had in his arsenal. Godzilla approached him about to actually end it and Ghidorah retreated. He threw in his own towel :lol:
You mentioned the ring first when you brought up a cage match. For the last time Ghidorah floored Godzilla once with what looks like a triple gravity beam, the second time he is with a single beam. Godzilla's head slumps like someone that got dased, then the final triple gravity beam floors him and knocks him down in a hole.

If two people fought in real life like that no one would say Godzilla won and your moving goal post talking about Godzilla is physically stronger than Ghidorah. Godzilla has always for the most part been physically stronger because Ghidorah doesn't have arms.

Even in the showa series it was the gravity beams that made Ghidorah so dangerous.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

miguelnuva wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
You mentioned the ring first when you brought up a cage match. For the last time Ghidorah floored Godzilla once with what looks like a triple gravity beam, the second time he is with a single beam. Godzilla's head slumps like someone that got dased, then the final triple gravity beam floors him and knocks him down in a hole.

If two people fought in real life like that no one would say Godzilla won and your moving goal post talking about Godzilla is physically stronger than Ghidorah. Godzilla has always for the most part been physically stronger because Ghidorah doesn't have arms.

Even in the showa series it was the gravity beams that made Ghidorah so dangerous.
If it was a ring, Ghidorah would not be able to retreat (hence cage match), meaning roasted dragon for Godzilla's lunch. That's what I meant, that if Ghidorah is not able to retreat he still loses. Clearly Ghidorah was playing defense after having a taste of CQC (which he has been shown to lose miserably at three times).
Image Image

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I mean...Kong won the last one, so I'd like to see Godzilla win the reboot rematch.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Mosura92
Ronin

Post by Mosura92 »

KingKong2005 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote: There is no ring, good lord. Ghidorah stood no chance physically, so he resorted to his triple gravity beam attack which was the only thing capable of damaging Godzilla (at least an attack he didn't shrug off). Godzilla handles two beams fine, three beams for some reason floor him. It's the only thing Ghidorah had in his arsenal. Godzilla approached him about to actually end it and Ghidorah retreated. He threw in his own towel :lol:

If it was a ring, Ghidorah would not be able to retreat (hence cage match), meaning roasted dragon for Godzilla's lunch. That's what I meant, that if Ghidorah is not able to retreat he still loses. Clearly Ghidorah was playing defense after having a taste of CQC (which he has been shown to lose miserably at three times).
Not only do you show a lack of knowledge for fighting or judging a fight sensibly, you fail to even understand or at the very least grasp what the movie was portraying during those GvG scenes. I hate the term fanboy but thats exactly what you come across as on this thread. I very rarely post on here but enjoy the knowledge and perspective of a lot of the accounts on toho threads but this is so just obnoxiously ignorant in the aspect of the monsterverse and fight choreography that i feel like posting. Ghidorah had to power up due to Godzilla just having been boosted by the nuke, a stronger version than the Godzilla that Ghidorah fought in Antarctica. And by a statement of Ghidorahs gravity beams being the only effective thing, did you not see ghidorah hoist him into near space and dropping him or Ghidorah dragging him thru the city? And Godzilla almost bodied Ghidorah in the water because A: its Godzillas element and has always gotten a buff from water B: he caught Ghidorah completely off guard (which imo he was trying to do in Antarctica as well) From what i can surmise what you describe from your view in the movies sounds like someone who only saw the movie once and is making rousing but annoying arguments as to why youre correct and it comes off as imature practically.

And to answer the actual thread I prefer Godzilla to win but DONT CARE either way since im a huge fan of all the movies i can generally take some good out of them (except for Godzillas Revenge, I have nothing to say for that garbage but all others ive appreciated at least in some way. Godzilla '54 and KK'33 are my two favorite movies. I also wouldnt mind a teamup as long as its not all buddy buddy all of a sudden maybe something ie like Hulk and how he still punches Thor after taking down the Chitauri Leviathan. Im hoping with all the extra time and delays we truly get something epic I think Michael Dougherty had a good vision and idea just execution wasnt top par, def need to stop with cutting away from the action so much, i understood it more in 2014 for the buildup to Big G but understand how it could be annoying to a lot of people not used to the older films. As long as we get to see Kong use his intelligence and pentadactyl and athletic advantages and G still be the tank he always is and both are great fighters so this is my most anticipated film of this year if release date remains the same.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Mosura92 wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

Not only do you show a lack of knowledge for fighting or judging a fight sensibly, you fail to even understand or at the very least grasp what the movie was portraying during those GvG scenes. I hate the term fanboy but thats exactly what you come across as on this thread. I very rarely post on here but enjoy the knowledge and perspective of a lot of the accounts on toho threads but this is so just obnoxiously ignorant in the aspect of the monsterverse and fight choreography that i feel like posting. Ghidorah had to power up due to Godzilla just having been boosted by the nuke, a stronger version than the Godzilla that Ghidorah fought in Antarctica. And by a statement of Ghidorahs gravity beams being the only effective thing, did you not see ghidorah hoist him into near space and dropping him or Ghidorah dragging him thru the city? And Godzilla almost bodied Ghidorah in the water because A: its Godzillas element and has always gotten a buff from water B: he caught Ghidorah completely off guard (which imo he was trying to do in Antarctica as well) From what i can surmise what you describe from your view in the movies sounds like someone who only saw the movie once and is making rousing but annoying arguments as to why youre correct and it comes off as imature practically.
I've broken down the fights many times. I fully understand Godzilla winning in water, but my argument is valid. King Ghidorah does not ONCE show he physically has what it takes to go up against Godzilla.
Ghidorah had to power up due to Godzilla just having been boosted by the nuke, a stronger version than the Godzilla that Ghidorah fought in Antarctica.
My issue is that Godzilla was already too powerful in Antartica. King Ghidorah does not land any successful hits on Godzilla. He gets swatted away like a toy. The only things Ghidorah has in his arsenal to actually deal damage to Godzilla is the triple gravity beam attack. That is all. King Ghidorah getting a powerup so he can stand a chance all comes off as cheap to me. He shouldn't have been made so weak to begin with, if you wanna talk about what seems like fanboying, look no further than the film making Godzilla basically untouchable when it comes to Ghidorah.
Not only do you show a lack of knowledge for fighting or judging a fight sensibly, you fail to even understand or at the very least grasp what the movie was portraying during those GvG scenes.
This right here is a joke. "What the movie was portraying"? I can see what it was portraying. It was clearly meant to show Godzilla is untouchable, that Godzilla is "dA kIng!1", that he knows anything and everything and to leave it to the humans to constantly screw things up (waking up Ghidorah, detonating the OD, etc). The movie clearly wanted the fans to think of this Godzilla as on par with other powerful Godzillas since many felt he was weak in G14. Each battle had absolutely no tension, no stakes, no nothing. Why? Because Godzilla was simply overpowered and Ghidorah was heavily undermined. The film wasted every single aspect of Godzilla's franchise for the sake of cannon fodder, from Ghidorah to Burning G to the OD, nothing had meaning other than brief cameos since Dougherty is afraid he'll never make another Godzilla film. I can judge the fights very fairly. Godzilla dominates Ghidorah in every single area, Ghidorah only makes it out alive due to his beam weapons and yeah, he did retreat the Antartica fight.

At the end of the day, Ghidorah is always outmatched in every category except his beams. The second Godzilla gets in close, it's over. Ghidorah knew that and that's why he retreated (once Godzilla proved able to survive the beams and keep fighting). You act like the film's fights serve a different purpose other than to wank Godzilla, and you'd be wrong. It's like I said, the film makes a clear as day approach to make sure the humans are stupid, to make Ghidorah weak, to make Godzilla have no challenge at all, to shove any possible thing of Godzilla's lore they can into the film (whether it serves a true purpose or not, instead being pointless fan service cameos) and for Godzilla to alway be "kInG1!". It's like the film only catered to children, china, and fans who enjoy horrible narratives. What brings me to this thread is the topic, Godzilla is simply undeserving of the win.
Image Image

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

I haven't been following this "debate" about Godzilla fighting King Ghidorah but I do know that King Kong would woop Ghidorah's ass.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

KingKong2005 wrote:The only things Ghidorah has in his arsenal to actually deal damage to Godzilla is the triple gravity beam attack. That is all.
Hot take from me: Ghidorah is honestly a boring monster to choreograph fights for. It's a monster that is practically designed to do nothing but beam attacks.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:I haven't been following this "debate" about Godzilla fighting King Ghidorah but I do know that King Kong would woop Ghidorah's ass.
Sweet! Awesome!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Moogabunga wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:The only things Ghidorah has in his arsenal to actually deal damage to Godzilla is the triple gravity beam attack. That is all.
Hot take from me: Ghidorah is honestly a boring monster to choreograph fights for. It's a monster that is practically designed to do nothing but beam attacks.
Sure if you ignore him using his foes as a trampoline.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

As much as I love watching Godzilla and Ghidorah fight in the Showa movies...there seems to be a few check marks that have to be done.
-Godzilla will pull on Ghidorah's tails.
-When that doesn't work he attacks the front. That doesn't work either.
-Switch these two.
Ghidorah is a tricky monster since he's got so many parts to move with wires. Try to imagine a Showa Ghidraoh with a crazy wingspan like MV Ghidorah?
Though I was disappointed MV Ghidorah didn't hover in the air and swing his tails from underneath to 'uppercut' Godzilla.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

daveblackeye15 wrote:As much as I love watching Godzilla and Ghidorah fight in the Showa movies...there seems to be a few check marks that have to be done.
-Godzilla will pull on Ghidorah's tails.
-When that doesn't work he attacks the front. That doesn't work either.
-Switch these two.
Ghidorah is a tricky monster since he's got so many parts to move with wires. Try to imagine a Showa Ghidraoh with a crazy wingspan like MV Ghidorah?
Though I was disappointed MV Ghidorah didn't hover in the air and swing his tails from underneath to 'uppercut' Godzilla.
Ah, that classic Atari move! I actually woulda shat myself if he did that :lol:
Moogabunga wrote:
A hot take indeed, lol! Here's my two cents on it: Because Ghidorah is keyframe animation (not counting his mocap faces), you can actually do a lot with his fight choreography. I'm not about to write a fan choreography novel or some imaginary battle, but all I'm saying is Ghidorah is extremely serpentine and fast. The Atari games and even the PS4 games have a very good moveset for Ghidorah, I can only imagine what a film with over $100 mill could have done with him.
Image Image

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

What I do dislike about the Ghidorah is he's boring when he's being mind controlled. Much better when he's the big big bad like Ghidorah Three Headed Monster and of course King of the Monsters.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kong2005 if Godzilla had Ghidorah as outmatched as you think then why did he need the water and later Mothra to get an advantage? Ghidorah only powers up after Godzilla powers up and then Godzilla has to power up again to win.

Godzilla needed Mothra and the artic to win in the past and the film shows he and Ghidorah or rivals not equals. Ghidorah even in the showa series never physically manhandled Godzilla in part do to Ghidorah lacking arms.

Once again saying Godzilla is physically stronger is another weak argument, I've seen several boxers and even a two normal people where one was stronger physically and still lost the fights. That's like saying I lost a fight to a professional weightlifter becasue the only thing I could do was shoot him with my gun.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image