Godzilla vs Kong General Discussion (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Godzilla vs Kong General Discussion (No Spoilers)

Post by BlankAccount »

Angilasman wrote:This movie had gone from my most anticipated kaiju film of 2020 to my second most anticipated kaiju film of 2021!
What's the number one 2021 kaiju film for you?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Living Corpse wrote:
Angilasman wrote:This movie had gone from my most anticipated kaiju film of 2020 to my second most anticipated kaiju film of 2021!
What's the number one 2021 kaiju film for you?
UltramanGoji wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
What’s the first? Something else is coming out in 2021?
Shin Ultraman.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

UltramanGoji wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
What’s the first? Something else is coming out in 2021?
Shin Ultraman.
Bingo. Really looking forward to that one. I hope it gets a North American release soon after the Japanese, but with the brand value of Anno and Tsuburaya's western push I think that's pretty much guaranteed.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Angilasman wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: What’s the first? Something else is coming out in 2021?
Shin Ultraman.
Bingo. Really looking forward to that one. I hope it gets a North American release soon after the Japanese, but with the brand value of Anno and Tsuburaya's western push I think that's pretty much guaranteed.
I'm hoping the Baltans are the main antagonist.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

JesstrK wrote:
JGAR wrote:
Garzon wrote:I guess every single film in the MonsterVerse is fated to be released in the same month as one of Disney’s live action remakes/reboots.
Good thing Cruella isn’t as well known nor does it look as good as Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, or Maleficent
I’d worry a little bit about Cruella, it certainly has more brand recognition than Soul. Especially when you factor in that it’s starring Emma Stone, she’s pretty popular these days.
Emma Stone is famous but nowhere near the level of Will Smith and Angelina Jolie nor is she a proven A lister that attracts audiences by her own account. Cruella has more recognition than Soul simply because she’s a known character from a lesser known Disney film, just like Dumbo. The film looks more like it should be made for Disney+ than theatrical.

EDIT: typo
Last edited by JGAR on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yooo 8-)

Godzilla2020
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzilla2020 »

>Godzilla Vs Kong trailer suppossedly coming soon

>Movie delayed to 2021

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzilla2020 wrote:hype & disapoint

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Ryanakin Skywalker wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:Man that sucks ass! This movie's been a tease. We get 4-5 months out, and it moves. Having said that, it's cool. At least we won't be seeing it get killed by Soul. So what's the new prediction for the first trailer? Tokyo Comic Con and Brazil Comic Con, both in that late Fall/Early Winter season... Assuming that this pandemic still isn't super crazy by then.
It won't be. The mass media has to overexaggerate numbers to get views and ratings.
Always better to overreact. I’ll trust the word of the CDC and the scientists behind that over Billy Bob in his truck because he “sees through the media.”

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

KingKaiju wrote:Always better to overreact. I’ll trust the word of the CDC and the scientists behind that over Billy Bob in his truck because he “sees through the media."
Agreed. As much as I am disappointed this movie got delayed for a second time, I don't want people to keel over and die over a fucking movie. I do have to wonder if the second delay is exclusively because of the virus or because there were other factors and it was gonna happen anyways even if there wasn't a pandemic.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Living Corpse wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:Always better to overreact. I’ll trust the word of the CDC and the scientists behind that over Billy Bob in his truck because he “sees through the media."
Agreed. As much as I am disappointed this movie got delayed for a second time, I don't want people to keel over and die over a fucking movie. I do have to wonder if the second delay is exclusively because of the virus or because there were other factors and it was gonna happen anyways even if there wasn't a pandemic.
I feel like with WB’s schedule shift, that they’ve just assessed this whole thing might just feel like it’s smarter in the long run to let this whole situation sort itself out. Honestly, as much as I’m bummed to wait for this movie, it’s probably or the better.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Living Corpse wrote:
Agreed. As much as I am disappointed this movie got delayed for a second time, I don't want people to keel over and die over a skreeonking movie. I do have to wonder if the second delay is exclusively because of the virus or because there were other factors and it was gonna happen anyways even if there wasn't a pandemic.
It probably was the virus indeed. It got pushed back to May 2021 because WB wanted a blockbuster for that particular spot, and The Matrix 4 still has yet to film again. Also WW84 was coming out a month earlier and while that’s enough space between those films, WB probably wanted to space them out. Outside of The Batman, The Suicide Squad, and Space Jam 2, they barely have major tentpoles for next year.
Yooo 8-)

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

JGAR wrote:Outside of The Batman, The Suicide Squad, and Space Jam 2, they barely have major tentpoles for next year.
Still kind of baffled that they're essentially taking a mulligan on a movie that only came out five years ago and made a fair bit of money at the time.
In my opinion, of course.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Fun fact

King Kong vs Godzilla is the third Showa Godzilla film.

Godzilla vs King Kong would have been the third Heisei Godzilla film.

Godzilla vs Kong will be the third monsterverse Godzilla film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

HannibalBarca wrote:
JGAR wrote:Outside of The Batman, The Suicide Squad, and Space Jam 2, they barely have major tentpoles for next year.
Still kind of baffled that they're essentially taking a mulligan on a movie that only came out five years ago and made a fair bit of money at the time.
Not even really a mulligan, it’s a sequel to the first one - though the title is just dumb
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

G2000 wrote:
HannibalBarca wrote:
Not even really a mulligan, it’s a sequel to the first one - though the title is just dumb
Seems, at best, a bit ambiguous:
Charles Roven and Peter Safran were also attached to produce.[45] Safran stated the film was retitled "because it's a total reboot ... It's everything you would hope from a James Gunn script and I think that says a lot and that promises a lot and I know that we will deliver a lot."
and
The Suicide Squad was described as a new take on the property rather than a direct sequel to the 2016 film.[7]
In my opinion, of course.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

Huh, Paramount just delayed the next SpongeBob movie to early 2021 but its coming to VOD and then CBS All Access rather than theaters. For reference the SpongeBob films always make bank in theaters. The idea that they are pushing the release to early 2021 and still pushing it to home viewing is interesting. I wonder the GvKK delay to early 2021 won't end up the same. Especially if the data shows that people just won't turn out to theaters out of a very rational fear of COVID or because they are the kind of jerkasses who refuse to patronize places that require wearing a mask.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/spon ... ssion=true

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Just curious to see Shin Ultraman and GvK do comparatively to each other at the Japanese BO. Shin Ultraman could be huge if they play their cards right.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

They are not going to put GVK out on VOD.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

UltramanGoji wrote:They are not going to put GVK out on VOD.
Not a chance. For a movie as big and expensive as this, they'll want to make all the bank they can get.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Unless the studio has lost all hope in GvK, it's not coming out on VOD. Why would they do that? The last two Spongebob films cost $30m and $70m to make. Still a lot of money, but not the near $200m amount that the monsterverse has been pushing
Last edited by KingKaiju on Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.