Godzilla vs Kong General Discussion (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Godzilla vs Kong General Discussion (No Spoilers)

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

I’m creating a thread for folks to be able to talk about “Godzilla vs Kong” WITHOUT fear of getting spoiled.

Here’s some stuff to get things rolling-

-BoxOfficePro lists “Godzilla vs Kong” as one of this year’s 15 titles with the biggest potential at the domestic box office.
https://www.boxofficepro.com/the-15-mov ... e-in-2020/

-With both the movie toy line and Classics toy line switching from Bandai and JAKKS Pacific to Playmates, which is a Hong Kong based toy company, I wonder if they’re potentially putting more focus into the China market considering the big success that KOTM enjoyed there.

-Looks like they did a few days shooting last week...now whether it’s reshoots or visual effects footage is unclear but it’s something that’s fairly normal in filmmaking.
https://mobile.twitter.com/OMEGAGORMARU ... 6828973056

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Godzilla vs Kong General Discussion (No Spoilers)

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Keeping expectations low right now of how well it'll do.

I expect it'll do a lot better then King of the Monsters so I'm saying around $400 million. The crossover appeal and Kong being in it might help tip its odds however.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Sir, we already have a thread like this..it's locked but we do.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

Hopes for this movie:

-Actual conflict and climax of the movie being a true Godzilla vs Kong brawl with no teamups
-Kong being 80-100 meters tall compared to Godzilla's 120ish meters in height
-It making more money than Birds of Prey. Seriously, I'm gonna eat my underwear if Birds of Prey grosses more worldwide.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Best case scenario at the chance this film doesn't do that well I think we'll definitely at least be getting a sequel to Kong that I can guarantee.

Maybe even Godzilla 2 and an Destroy All Monsters-esque film. After that I can see the series being continued on HBO Max as a TV show.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Godzilla 2? We just got that.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Nathus214 wrote:Godzilla 2? We just got that.
Poop brainfart I meant Godzilla 3. :lol:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I going in expecting to be disappointed. I've been underwhelmed by everything so far so I'm not expecting much this time around either. I'm also not avoiding spoilers this time. I'm not actively seeking them out but im not going out of my way to avoid them either. Avoided everything for KotM and was still disappointed.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Godzillasaurus wrote: Seriously, I'm gonna eat my underwear if Birds of Prey grosses more worldwide.
Make sure to film it when this inevitably happens.
In my opinion, of course.

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

Added in 36 seconds:
HannibalBarca wrote:
Godzillasaurus wrote: Seriously, I'm gonna eat my underwear if Birds of Prey grosses more worldwide.
Got a camera set up and everything
Last edited by Godzillasaurus on Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Godzillasaurus wrote:Added in 36 seconds:
HannibalBarca wrote:
Livestream
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I do think this film will do better than KOTM, but i still have no exact number predictions to give.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

I want to say that there’s virtually no chance this movie does worse than KotM, but we probably shouldn’t rule out the possibility. King Kong’s name might help tip things in this movie’s favor, but there’s no telling how critics and audiences will respond to it, or if there’s still any interest left in giant monster movies.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Garzon wrote:I want to say that there’s virtually no chance this movie does worse than KotM, but we probably shouldn’t rule out the possibility. King Kong’s name might help tip things in this movie’s favor, but there’s no telling how critics and audiences will respond to it, or if there’s still any interest left in giant monster movies.
People still seems to keep forgetting the crossover appeal.

Notice how most crossover movies tend to do the best in the box office out of the other movies in their franchises?

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

The sane marketing strategy:

-A teaser in April
-Trailer #1 at SDCC
-Trailer #2 in October
-8 or 9 TV spots starting in November
-The end
Long Live The King

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Godzillasaurus wrote:Added in 36 seconds:
HannibalBarca wrote:
Livestream
Liveleak because he chokes on the first bite
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I going in expecting to be disappointed. I've been underwhelmed by everything so far so I'm not expecting much this time around either. I'm also not avoiding spoilers this time. I'm not actively seeking them out but im not going out of my way to avoid them either. Avoided everything for KotM and was still disappointed.
If that’s your attitude then no wonder you aren’t enjoying these movies. I don’t know how anyone can live like that.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It's better than getting disappointed after being overly excited for something. I was cautiously optimistic about KotM and I was still disappointed in it. I see no reason getting overly excited for a franchise that has so far been a disappointment.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:It's better than getting disappointed after being overly excited for something. I was cautiously optimistic about KotM and I was still disappointed in it. I see no reason getting overly excited for a franchise that has so far been a disappointment.
Have you considered a new hobby then?
Or at the very least a different approach?
I’m a big time Star Wars fan and while I was very disappointed by “The Last Jedi” I can find things in it I like that make the movie more enjoyable

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Whew! I've been asking for the original thread to be opened. But since that hasn't been the case, I'll stick here.