Godzilla vs Kong General Discussion (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Godzilla vs Kong General Discussion (No Spoilers)

Post by _JNavs_ »

Nah there's no way Legendary accepted anything less than $230 million. They were ready to take WB to court for making their Netflix $250m decision without Legendary's approval.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:48 pm Nah there's no way Legendary accepted anything less than $230 million. They were ready to take WB to court for making their Netflix $250m decision without Legendary's approval.
But that netflix deal would have been for both WB and Legendary. $250million price tag for GvK. Legendary invested 75% of the production budget so Legendary would have recieved 75% of $250million(around $180~190million) if they sold the film to Netflix. And WB get the rest 25%. Netflix usually spend 1.2~1.5 times of its production budget when they buy a whole movie these days.

Added in 4 minutes 16 seconds:
I know this time WB was responsible for their fault so Legendary could have demended more than their supposed share, but $250million sounds unrealistic to me. I don't think they could reach the agreement if Legendary really had requested $250million. To much debt for WB.

Added in 7 minutes 3 seconds:
Sounds most realistic to me if WB paid around $180million for Legendary which is indeed the same amount of money that Legendary would have got if they sold it to Netflix.

And we are not even sure yet whether Netflix really offered $250million because the price tag differs in many articles from $200million to $250million. That makes sense because as I said, Netflix is offering 1.2 to 1.5 times of production budet to buy a movie these days.
Last edited by vastatosaurus on Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legendary has to pay Toho as well and considering what WB did they probably did fork over near 250m.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:55 pm Legendary has to pay Toho as well and considering what WB did they probably did fork over near 250m.
We don't know about the deal between Toho though. Toho never invested production budget for GvK. I don't think Toho possess share of something like $30million or $50million amount of running guarantee. That's ridiculous. No other hollywood companies will be willing to work with them. I suppose Toho gets only minor profit. So the numerous news articles talking about GvK conflict never mentioned any portion or role of Toho on this negotiation.

Well, we never know unless they reveal all the secrets of contracts.
Last edited by vastatosaurus on Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

batzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by batzilla »

Rumor of a Monarch TV show on HBO MAX. I think Fandomwire is kind of scattershot with their scoops but I could see this panning out if GvK hits big. They’re making a tie in show for all their DC movies so it’s really not that far fetched. Plus, they’re already doing a show with Legendary with Dune: The Sisterhood.

https://fandomwire.com/monarch-series-i ... ssion=true
Last edited by batzilla on Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:09 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:55 pm Legendary has to pay Toho as well and considering what WB did they probably did fork over near 250m.
We don't know about the deal between Toho though. Toho never invested production budget for GvK. I don't think Toho possess share of something like $30million or $50million amount of running guarantee. That's ridiculous. No other hollywood companies will be willing to work with them. I suppose Toho gets only minor profit. So the numerous news articles talking about GvK conflict never mentioned any portion or role of Toho on this negotiation.

Yes we do, Toho keeps all the money in Japan. The MV has been averaging 25-30m so that's likely what Legendary would dish out.

Toho likely also stepped in the release date as the delay was holding them up.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Some people somehow like to think that Toho is a tiny studio with no credibility in Japan lol.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:32 am
vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:09 pm

Yes we do, Toho keeps all the money in Japan. The MV has been averaging 25-30m so that's likely what Legendary would dish out.

Toho likely also stepped in the release date as the delay was holding them up.
Yeah that's what I meant "minor profit".
I know Toho distributes MV movies in Japan. Not WB.
OK, MV movies have reached around $25-30m in Japanese Boxoffice, half of that becomes Toho's net profit. $12.5~15m. Perhaps we may have to add about $3m~4m because Toho has a lot of its own theaters in Japan.
So Toho gets net profit around $15m~19m for a MV movie normally. They can't demand WB for like $50million as their share. That would be ridiculous.

And most of all, this deal has nothing to do with HBOmax conflict. Toho has no stake in the HBOmax field.
Whatever the release method of GvK was, Toho was going to get its profit in Japan Boxoffice anyway.
HBOmax day-and-date release was always for NA only.
There was no justification Toho could demand WB something about the HBOmax deal and as no articles has mentioned Toho's position in this negotiation, I highly doubt WB had to pay a lot for Toho.

Added in 2 minutes 47 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:26 am Some people somehow like to think that Toho is a tiny studio with no credibility in Japan lol.
This is nothing to do with credibility. It is natural business logic that they would not receive much money if they did not invest at all and did not bear any risks.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

Thinking back to when KoTM marketing started up, the social media accounts started uploading and being active 2 days before trailer drop

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:48 pm Nah there's no way Legendary accepted anything less than $230 million. They were ready to take WB to court for making their Netflix $250m decision without Legendary's approval.
Frivolous lawsuits happen all the time though. I'm just not sure how far Legendary's "double dip" argument really goes when WB could easily argue that a traditional theatrical release would have bombed given the pandemic -- especially if Toho requires a movie release no later the end of 2021, when it's unclear when we'll be out of the woods.

I think it was more of the threat of ruining WB's reputation throughout the film industry as cheapskates. Also, lawsuits suck even if you think you're going to win. Lawyer fees aren't fun. I would love to know what the bottom line on their deal is; I'm guessing around 150 mil.

Like others have said though we don't even know if the 250 offer was real or perhaps less. They'll never confirm anything , sucks :(
Last edited by vibramrunner on Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

Looks like Black Widow is probably going to be delayed. With that probably happening, Godzilla vs Kong will have virtually no competition, worldwide, until July. Could be a tenet scenario and slowly bring in the big bucks

batzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by batzilla »

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

The official IG and Twitter accounts just opened as well, with a new poster.
GO GO GOJI KUN

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Yes! We finally have a poster! Let the HYPE begin!!!
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

That poster looks badass! I am so ready for the trailer! Also, what city is Kong standing in, does anyone know?
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Cossegoji2000
Ronin

Post by Cossegoji2000 »

Looks like Hong Kong.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Shoopwoop17 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:20 am That poster looks badass! I am so ready for the trailer! Also, what city is Kong standing in, does anyone know?
I’m guessing Hong Kong since Wingard had Instagram posts from there.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Beautiful and awesome looking poster!

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Awesome news now we just have to see what goodies EW will have for us but anyways. SUNDAY!!!!!!!

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Formerly known as kurtzilla