Anyone else think they made Godzilla too OP?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: Anyone else think they made Godzilla too OP?

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Spoiler:
Mega Godzilla is a thing now
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Well I'm not this "Gorizard" fella. And I certainly think G14 is leagues above KOTM, which is schlock. Monsters should be a priority, yes, but what's the point if you can't give that monster character? Godzilla lacks character in both films. He isn't developed, he doesn't feel like he has emotions. He's just robotic, "I must get this mission done. I am the king. You all bow." There's no growth or development, which he very much could have had. G14 could have used better characters, a better Godzilla, and a better story. The Mutos I honestly didn't care for, we could have had better opponents. But it at least tries to be an actual movie, it has the audience care for characters like Joe and Serizawa (sometimes). It humanizes the characters and doesn't prioritize "Spectacle" over "Story and Logic". Not to mention it, again, totally wasted the Oxygen Destroyer and Burning Godzilla. There was too much happening in KOTM, and G14 had too little going on with character interest and monster interest.
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KingKong2005 wrote:Well I'm not this "Gorizard" fella. And I certainly think G14 is leagues above KOTM, which is schlock. Monsters should be a priority, yes, but what's the point if you can't give that monster character? Godzilla lacks character in both films. He isn't developed, he doesn't feel like he has emotions. He's just robotic, "I must get this mission done. I am the king. You all bow." There's no growth or development, which he very much could have had. G14 could have used better characters, a better Godzilla, and a better story. The Mutos I honestly didn't care for, we could have had better opponents. But it at least tries to be an actual movie, it has the audience care for characters like Joe and Serizawa (sometimes). It humanizes the characters and doesn't prioritize "Spectacle" over "Story and Logic". Not to mention it, again, totally wasted the Oxygen Destroyer and Burning Godzilla. There was too much happening in KOTM, and G14 had too little going on with character interest and monster interest.
I don't know you missed the emotion Godzilla had in kotm. Also how was Burning Godzilla wasted and while the Oxygen Destroyer wasn't as impactful as the original version it still killed Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

miguelnuva wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:Well I'm not this "Gorizard" fella. And I certainly think G14 is leagues above KOTM, which is schlock. Monsters should be a priority, yes, but what's the point if you can't give that monster character? Godzilla lacks character in both films. He isn't developed, he doesn't feel like he has emotions. He's just robotic, "I must get this mission done. I am the king. You all bow." There's no growth or development, which he very much could have had. G14 could have used better characters, a better Godzilla, and a better story. The Mutos I honestly didn't care for, we could have had better opponents. But it at least tries to be an actual movie, it has the audience care for characters like Joe and Serizawa (sometimes). It humanizes the characters and doesn't prioritize "Spectacle" over "Story and Logic". Not to mention it, again, totally wasted the Oxygen Destroyer and Burning Godzilla. There was too much happening in KOTM, and G14 had too little going on with character interest and monster interest.
I don't know you missed the emotion Godzilla had in kotm. Also how was Burning Godzilla wasted and while the Oxygen Destroyer wasn't as impactful as the original version it still killed Godzilla.
Burning Godzilla deserves his own movie entirely. He was used in a cheap power up way instead of actually raising the stakes and tensions to a story. BG should have the audience feel sad and scared for Godzilla, not be in a film for 30 seconds just to kill King Ghidorah. And you already acknowledged my complaint with the OD.
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KingKong2005 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Burning Godzilla deserves his own movie entirely. He was used in a cheap power up way instead of actually raising the stakes and tensions to a story. BG should have the audience feel sad and scared for Godzilla, not be in a film for 30 seconds just to kill King Ghidorah. And you already acknowledged my complaint with the OD.
Burning Godzilla was a power up that resulted in Godzilla's death in the Heisei series. Legendary does not have to use that in the same way in their series. It sounds like your problem is because they didn't do the same thing with Godzilla as they did with the Heisei series.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

miguelnuva wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Burning Godzilla was a power up that resulted in Godzilla's death in the Heisei series. Legendary does not have to use that in the same way in their series. It sounds like your problem is because they didn't do the same thing with Godzilla as they did with the Heisei series.
No no, my problem is that they took something that could make an excellent movie and pawned it off for some lame spectacle moment (that anyone could see coming from a mile away) that took no less than 30 seconds. They wasted Burning Godzilla.
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

"It killed Godzilla" is probably the least important thing about the original Oxygen Destroyer. F-18s pulled that off, and the fandom doesn't exactly hold them in high regard for it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote:"It killed Godzilla" is probably the least important thing about the original Oxygen Destroyer. F-18s pulled that off, and the fandom doesn't exactly hold them in high regard for it.
F18's killed a creature that Americans mistook for Godzilla, but out people have doubts. Direct quote from GMK.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

miguelnuva wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:"It killed Godzilla" is probably the least important thing about the original Oxygen Destroyer. F-18s pulled that off, and the fandom doesn't exactly hold them in high regard for it.
F18's killed a creature that Americans mistook for Godzilla, but out people have doubts. Direct quote from GMK.
Yeah, but you know what I mean.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

I don't see how people can watch KOTM and literally watch Godzilla bully Ghidorah around until Ghidorah gets a power up and say he isn't overpowered. I think it just stems from Godzilla being too big and Ghidorah not being big enough.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:I don't see how people can watch KOTM and literally watch Godzilla bully Ghidorah around until Ghidorah gets a power up and say he isn't overpowered. I think it just stems from Godzilla being too big and Ghidorah not being big enough.
Not only are the monsters getting powerups left and right extremely lame, but Godzilla was literally owning King Ghidorah in all their fights except the last. King Ghidorah should always be more powerful, he should have forced Godzilla to let down his ego and ask the other kaiju for help, it wouldn’t have made him any less of an alpha (besides, what’s an alpha without his pack?). I wholeheartedly agree with you though, in other words :lol:
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KingKong2005 wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:I don't see how people can watch KOTM and literally watch Godzilla bully Ghidorah around until Ghidorah gets a power up and say he isn't overpowered. I think it just stems from Godzilla being too big and Ghidorah not being big enough.
Not only are the monsters getting powerups left and right extremely lame, but Godzilla was literally owning King Ghidorah in all their fights except the last. King Ghidorah should always be more powerful, he should have forced Godzilla to let down his ego and ask the other kaiju for help, it wouldn’t have made him any less of an alpha (besides, what’s an alpha without his pack?). I wholeheartedly agree with you though, in other words :lol:
Godzilla was losing the artic fight and really only had a commanding advantage when Mothra came to help or underwater. Ghidorah put him down hard when they were on even ground.

Ghidorah hasn't performed this well since the showa era.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

Godzilla bullying this Ghidorah? Definitely not. Ghidorah won the first round in the Antarctica fight by pushing Godzilla into some big hole, and Ghidorah did fairly well against Godzilla and Godzilla did fairly well against Ghidorah too, very balanced, though given that Ghidorah won this, it seems he's stronger. Then, Ghidorah flew away in the second round (if there's one to begin with). Obviously Godzilla was definitely winning in the Isla Del Mara fight, but it's highly dubious if he could kill Ghidorah (probably would anyway). Then, in the Boston battle, I'd say Godzilla was winning, just because he was overcharged and King Ghidorah wasn't though, and probably, if it wasn't because Godzilla was overcharged, Goji would've fainted just like he did in G14, but, King Ghidorah did very well too besides that, thankfully King Ghidorah absorbed electricity and became overcharged, completely changing the course of the battle and almost killing an overcharged Godzilla, which needed two sacrifices to finally kill King Ghidorah.
When those fleeting lives destined to die, forget their humbleness and sing praises of their glory, such will shake the very heavens and split the earth, and they shall know the wrath of the divine. The inevitable incarnation of destruction. So, you show yourself at last. Since we last saw each other, it has been 20 years for us and 20,000 years for you. It's been a while... Oh, King of Destruction.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

miguelnuva wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:
Godzilla was losing the artic fight and really only had a commanding advantage when Mothra came to help or underwater. Ghidorah put him down hard when they were on even ground.

Ghidorah hasn't performed this well since the showa era.
Ghidorah only seemed to have an advantage with his gravity bolts. Other than that it seemed really even.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

ReiwaGodzilla wrote:-Godzilla bullying this Ghidorah? Definitely not. Ghidorah won the first round in the Antarctica fight by pushing Godzilla into some big hole,
Godzilla doesn't really lose though. He gets pushed into a hole and immediately gets out of it and when he charges Ghidorah, Ghidorah flies away. It's a retreat if anything. Ghidorah beats Godzilla's ass in 1991 worse than 2019 Ghidorah did to 2019 Goji until he gets the power up. Ghidorah should have been that strong from the start.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
ReiwaGodzilla wrote:-Godzilla bullying this Ghidorah? Definitely not. Ghidorah won the first round in the Antarctica fight by pushing Godzilla into some big hole,
Godzilla doesn't really lose though. He gets pushed into a hole and immediately gets out of it and when he charges Ghidorah, Ghidorah flies away. It's a retreat if anything. Ghidorah beats Godzilla's ass in 1991 worse than 2019 Ghidorah did to 2019 Goji until he gets the power up. Ghidorah should have been that strong from the start.
Ghidorah dodged Godzilla's atomic breath, returns fire and knocks him into a hole. It was more of a I'm done with you then a retreat.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SteveMartinLives
Yojimbo

Post by SteveMartinLives »

miguelnuva wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Ghidorah dodged Godzilla's atomic breath, returns fire and knocks him into a hole. It was more of a I'm done with you then a retreat.

Not only this, but let's not forget that Ghidorah had just risen from being frozen for a minimum of thousands of years. I always saw the volcano scene as more of a recharging than a power up.

euronymous
Yojimbo

Post by euronymous »

To answer the question, No, I don't think Godzilla or Kong are too OP. Both needed help to win

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

euronymous wrote:To answer the question, No, I don't think Godzilla or Kong are too OP. Both needed help to win
When it comes to Godzilla and how he measured up to King Ghidorah (who should always be leagues above Godzilla), I believe Godzilla was made too OP. Not to repeat the thread over, but it's true, he literally bullies Ghidorah the entire fight. If King Ghidorah left as an "I'm done with you" against an opponent who was up and ready to fight (and was already giving a good fight), then it should count as a retreat. Especially since the military came in and shot at him, probably aiding in this retreat. Ghidorah retreats, gets saved in Isle De Mara, and saved again by the power up in the final battle. This Godzilla is just way too OP!!!
Image Image

euronymous
Yojimbo

Post by euronymous »

KingKong2005 wrote:
euronymous wrote:To answer the question, No, I don't think Godzilla or Kong are too OP. Both needed help to win
When it comes to Godzilla and how he measured up to King Ghidorah (who should always be leagues above Godzilla), I believe Godzilla was made too OP. Not to repeat the thread over, but it's true, he literally bullies Ghidorah the entire fight. If King Ghidorah left as an "I'm done with you" against an opponent who was up and ready to fight (and was already giving a good fight), then it should count as a retreat. Especially since the military came in and shot at him, probably aiding in this retreat. Ghidorah retreats, gets saved in Isle De Mara, and saved again by the power up in the final battle. This Godzilla is just way too OP!!!
LMAO mmkay, kid.