How worried are you about the GvK being set back?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Re: How worried are you about the GvK being set back?

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Living Corpse wrote:
kaijuguy19 wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Godzilla vs. Kong is also dealing with Eternals though and we all know at this point any MCU film is bound to do well no matter what it is and if we go children demographic wise there's also Clifford, the Big Red Dog same case with Raya.

This is why I wished it was an August release (Hopefully with some small chance they finish reshoots much earlier and move it forward to that). Sure it'd have Bill & Ted to attend with but better then competing with an MCU and Disney/Pixar film.
Exactly. If the controversy around Captain Marvel wasn't able to stop her movie from being a smash hit then it won't be any different with the Eternals which are facing a similar situation. I also don't need to go much into how Raya won't have problems raking in plenty of money.

Godzilla vs Kong are pretty much in a no win situation at this point so it's going to take a miracle to come out unscathed.
The goal isn't even to beat Marvel at the box office, just make sure the movie does well enough to secure the Monsterverse' future.
I know that but those two movies I've mentioned aren't going to help GvK into making a lot of dough either given the fact that they're both from Disney that's what I'm saying here. Like I said it would take a miracle to get GvK out of this situation cause no matter how good GvK could be,that's not going to be enough to get enough money in without Disney coming in and hogging all the glory and money in the long run.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Hopefully it'll be good and unique from the standard block buster format. MV has been disappointing, but I'm still wanting this to succeed.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

_JNavs_ wrote:Am I worried for GvK? Of course. The last film didn't make a lot of money, and the director of GvK isn't instilling a lot of trust, but I'm willing to give the benefit.
YOU JUST said the money issue was overblown the very post before this dude.

This is why is frustrating to debate anything with you because you’re impossible to pin down on anything. It seems like you change your mind in whatever post you’re currently writing.

There’s literally someone here with a quote of yours comparing Shin and the MV where you’re comparing the MV films to imitation crab meat.

And I’m not sure I saw the post you’re referencing or I would have probably rebutted it.

FYI there are plenty of things I like about these films. I think this Godzilla incarnation is near the top of my list as far as designs go. Kong and Rodan are easily my favorite visual representations of these two characters. The score for the last film was amazing. I got to go to an early screening of G 14 while in Japan of all places thus checking a box for me on my bucket list. I saw a friggen Godzilla movie in theaters in Japan...before any one else and it was in a language I could understand. So I have a connection with this franchise. I’m hoping for the best.

But right now the only film of the bunch that I can unabashedly defend and enjoy is Kong SI. These Godzilla films have all left a lot to be desired but I do prefer them to Shin for whatever that’s worth.

So I’m not hating just to hate. I don’t want this next film to fail but I think it’s a pretty steep hill to climb to assume there’s going to be any more films in this franchise unless the next one is a colossal hit.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

king_ghidorah wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Am I worried for GvK? Of course. The last film didn't make a lot of money, and the director of GvK isn't instilling a lot of trust, but I'm willing to give the benefit.

This is why is frustrating to debate anything with you because you’re impossible to pin down on anything. It seems like you change your mind in whatever post you’re currently writing.

There’s literally someone here with a quote of yours comparing Shin and the MV where you’re comparing the MV films to imitation crab meat.

And I’m not sure I saw the post you’re referencing or I would have probably rebutted it.

FYI there are plenty of things I like about these films. I think this Godzilla incarnation is near the top of my list as far as designs go. Kong and Rodan are easily my favorite visual representations of these two characters. The score for the last film was amazing. I got to go to an early screening of G 14 while in Japan of all places thus checking a box for me on my bucket list. I saw a friggen Godzilla movie in theaters in Japan...before any one else and it was in a language I could understand. So I have a connection with this franchise. I’m hoping for the best.

But right now the only film of the bunch that I can unabashedly defend and enjoy is Kong SI. These Godzilla films have all left a lot to be desired but I do prefer them to Shin for whatever that’s worth.

So I’m not hating just to hate. I don’t want this next film to fail but I think it’s a pretty steep hill to climb to assume there’s going to be any more films in this franchise unless the next one is a colossal hit.
The quote of JNVS in my sig is a sarcastic remark he made in response to me being snarky. But yeah I don't think the first part of your statement is necessarily invalid.

Glad to hear about you seeing G14 in theaters in Japan though. Must have been a special experience. I saw KOTM here in Japan and it was cool how I could buy the bandais in theater.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think he's comparing my thoughts on the initial 2 MV films financial returns, to KOTMs financial returns. Very different things.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

So we want a rushed or well-made movie? I'm cool with the delay. It gives the production more time to perfect it.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

king_ghidorah wrote:

Did KOTM do well? No not really. So that should be your focal point if you're trying to prove that the universe is dead, not the 2 OG films that made beaucoup money.
- initial post

- post you quoted.

Pretty sure you confused my thoughts on the financial returns of the first 2 MV films, with my thoughts on the financial returns of KOTM. They're vastly different things.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Rodan95 wrote:So we want a rushed or well-made movie? I'm cool with the delay. It gives the production more time to perfect it.
There's zero indication that Godzilla vs. Kong has or ever was rushed. If anything it was in development and planning around the time KOTM started early planning as well.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Honestly don’t even know what the delay is about. It could be a number of things... just wanted more time to make the SPX more epic.... changing the Hong Kong location... to heavy reshoots(which I doubt because I don’t think they’ll throw that amount of money at a film with uncertainty “.

So, to the original post question, sorta need to wait to see what the delay is all about. Now if we’re talking about the box office... yes, this is the make it or break it film. Either we’ll have more Monsterverse films alongside Tohos World of Godzilla, or just Toho films.
Last edited by Cookson on Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Rodan95 wrote:So we want a rushed or well-made movie? I'm cool with the delay. It gives the production more time to perfect it.
There's zero indication that Godzilla vs. Kong has or ever was rushed. If anything it was in development and planning around the time KOTM started early planning as well.
I know. That isn't what I implied. I agree with you. They started writing the script in 2017 after KSI was released.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cookson wrote:Honestly don’t even know what the delay is about. It could be a number of things... just wanted more time to make the SPX more epic.... changing the Hong Kong location... to heavy reshoots(which I doubt because I don’t think they’ll throw that amount of money at a film with uncertainty “.

So, to the original post question, sorta need to wait to see what the delay is all about. Now if we’re talking about the box office... yes, this is the make it or break it film. Either we’ll have more Monsterverse films alongside Tohos World of Godzilla, or just Toho films.
In context of the original post, I'm also not worried or upset if this was the final Monsterverse film. Four films and some comics is a really solid number for a franchise. I guess hypothetically I'd want more, but it wouldn't be the same as though G14 came out and got zero sequels.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Similar to some of the posters above, I was already feeling rather pessimistic about GvK, both in terms of quality and reception/box office, and the delay certainly hasn't helped matters on those fronts.
In my opinion, of course.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

_JNavs_ wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:

Did KOTM do well? No not really. So that should be your focal point if you're trying to prove that the universe is dead, not the 2 OG films that made beaucoup money.
- initial post

- post you quoted.

Pretty sure you confused my thoughts on the financial returns of the first 2 MV films, with my thoughts on the financial returns of KOTM. They're vastly different things.
Thanks for proving my point about it being impossible to debate anything with you
Last edited by king_ghidorah on Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I am unable to function.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:I am unable to function.
Do you need a doctor sir?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Italian G-Fan
Interpol Agent

Post by Italian G-Fan »

Am I worried about GVK being pushed back? Hell yes I am.
Why the hell did they delay the movie to November?! Why didn’t they delay the movie to August? If I remember right in August there aren’t too big movies that could have been a threat to GVK results at the box office. Instead in November there will be released two Disney movies: Eternals and this new animated movie. People say that we shouldn’t be worried about Eternals since almost no one knows them. But gave you even how much of a success was the first Guardians of the galaxy? They were pretty much an unknown group that no one cared about, but the movie had a great success at the box office. I am pretty sure the same thing will happen with Eternals. So for me pushin GvK to November was an huge mistake. Legendary has practically dug his own pit this way.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Another reason I'm worried is because China do something that would cause a backlash and cause this movie to fail. Just look at how the NBA's rating are down from last year because of how many players and coaches supported the Chinese government. Just look at how they are treating the Muslim population in NW China. And with more people waking up to how dangerous China is, I think this is likely.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

king_ghidorah wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:

- initial post

- post you quoted.

Thanks for proving my point about it being impossible to debate anything with you
You actually make no kind of sense.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The NBA’s TV returns are lower than normal but most pundits agree that the China controversy is only a small part of that. The most probable reasons are the star players who’ve missed considerable time so far and poor matchups on national TV. No one wants to watch the Zion-less Pelicans take on the tanking Knicks.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Another reason I'm worried is because China do something that would cause a backlash and cause this movie to fail. Just look at how the NBA's rating are down from last year because of how many players and coaches supported the Chinese government. Just look at how they are treating the Muslim population in NW China. And with more people waking up to how dangerous China is, I think this is likely.
I kind of doubt that the average moviegoer is going to put two and two together about Legendary being owned by a Chinese conglomerate, unless there's a provision in Millie Bobby Brown's contract or something where she has to sing Beijing's praises at every publicity event for the film.
In my opinion, of course.