Is the Monsterverse doomed to begin with?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: Is the Monsterverse doomed to begin with?

Post by shadowgigan »

I still think the GA wanted something more in line with the tone of the 1st G14 trailer. They won't respond well to the next film after being duped the first time.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

That’s very true.

I wonder from time to time what it would be like if Godzilla 2014 had better writing (should’ve payed Frank Darabont more to rewrite the rest of the film), and if it were the film that it was advertised as. Bryan Cranston vs. force of nature Godzilla with real apocalyptic stakes and nuclear horror.

I would’ve rather had Edwards direct his trilogy with Darabont as his screenwriter than a “MonsterVerse.” Could’ve been the rival equivalent to the Planet of the Apes trilogy of the decade. WB already had a more appropriate cinematic universe in DC, even if the installments for the most part sucked.
Yooo 8-)

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

In all honesty, making a shared universe that revolves around giant monsters was always going to be tough to pull off. It works with superheroes because the characters from Marvel and DC have fleshed out personalities that allows them to work off one another, as well as countless big storylines from the comics to pull from. In comparison, Godzilla and Kong are giant monsters. They don’t really have personalities to work off of. Because of that, the only thing you’d really have to look forward to in a Godzilla vs. Kong movie is watching them beat each other up, which they already do with other monsters.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Except they do have personalities?

Anyway, good characters = good returns.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Garzon wrote:In all honesty, making a shared universe that revolves around giant monsters was always going to be tough to pull off. It works with superheroes because the characters from Marvel and DC have fleshed out personalities that allows them to work off one another, as well as countless big storylines from the comics to pull from. In comparison, Godzilla and Kong are giant monsters. They don’t really have personalities to work off of. Because of that, the only thing you’d really have to look forward to in a Godzilla vs. Kong movie is watching them beat each other up, which they already do with other monsters.

This smirk says otherwise.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:Except they do have personalities?

Yeah but, like, who else noticed that besides us? It had to be full on pointed out instead of people easily figuring it out for themselves. Your personality isn't very clear to people if the movie has to point it out to you!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

tyrantgoji wrote:

Yeah but, like, who else noticed that besides us? It had to be full on pointed out instead of people easily figuring it out for themselves. Your personality isn't very clear to people if the movie has to point it out to you!
I think some people just want to make up faults that aren't there instead of looking for real ones cause they like to bitch. Go subtle and they say the monsters had no personality. Don't be subtle and they change the goal post to that being a bad thing cause it makes them "cartoony". You can't win.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

Living Corpse wrote:
Garzon wrote:In all honesty, making a shared universe that revolves around giant monsters was always going to be tough to pull off. It works with superheroes because the characters from Marvel and DC have fleshed out personalities that allows them to work off one another, as well as countless big storylines from the comics to pull from. In comparison, Godzilla and Kong are giant monsters. They don’t really have personalities to work off of. Because of that, the only thing you’d really have to look forward to in a Godzilla vs. Kong movie is watching them beat each other up, which they already do with other monsters.

I don’t mean that they’re devoid of personality, but they can’t exactly work off one another when they’re giant monsters who can’t talk. They can’t exactly engage in witty banter or have philosophical discussions about what it means to be a hero.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Living Corpse wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:

I think some people just want to make up faults that aren't there instead of looking for real ones cause they like to skreeonk. Go subtle and they say the monsters had no personality. Don't be subtle and they change the goal post to that being a bad thing cause it makes them "cartoony". You can't win.
This argument doesn't really work when you consider these are probably different people saying it.
Last edited by Gigantis on Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Garzon wrote:I don’t mean that they’re devoid of personality, but they can’t exactly work off one another when they’re giant monsters who can’t talk. They can’t exactly engage in witty banter or have philosophical discussions about what it means to be a hero.
Of course they do, what do you think all the roaring's about
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
I think some people just want to make up faults that aren't there instead of looking for real ones cause they like to skreeonk. Go subtle and they say the monsters had no personality. Don't be subtle and they change the goal post to that being a bad thing cause it makes them "cartoony". You can't win.
This argument doesn't really work when you consider these are probably different people saying it.
It doesn't invalidate it. You can have a lot of people say something about a movie that isn't true or a misconception, all it takes is one person saying something and others parroting them.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the third currently running "Cinematic Universe" right now?

The MCU, the DCEU, and the Monsterverse. Unless I've forgotten one.

The Dark Universe and Ghost Corps were dead on arrival, were there any others attempted?

Also, I'm not one of those that thinks there's a Disney Conspiracy, but it *was* the summer of Disney. Iirc Hobbs and Shaw was the first non-Disney film to break half a billion dollars all summer. Currently 7 of the top 10 grossing films worldwide this year are either Disney or Marvel (so Disney). The non-Disney films that beat out KotM durning the peak of its run were Secret Life of Pets 2, John Wick (domestically) and Detective Pikachu... everything else was Disney.

The Monsterverse's future is uncertain, and as others have stated, it hinges on Godzilla vs Kong.
Last edited by Huan_of_Valinor on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Huan_of_Valinor wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the third currently running "Cinematic Universe" right now?

The MCU, the DCEU, and the Monsterverse. Unless I've forgotten one.

The Dark Universe and Ghost Corps were dead on arrival, were there any others attempted?

Also, I'm not one of those that thinks there's a Disney Conspiracy, but it *was* the summer of Disney. Iirc Hobbs and Shaw was the first non-Disney film to break half a billion dollars all summer. Currently 7 of the top 10 grossing films worldwide this year are either Disney or Marvel (so Disney). The non-Disney films that beat out KotM durning the peak of its run were Secret Life of Pets 2, John Wick (domestically) and Detective Pikachu... everything else was Disney.

The Monsterverse's future is uncertain, and as others have stated, it hinges on Godzilla vs Kong.
This year was Disney's version of Destroy all monsters. No one will ever have another year like they did this year movie wise.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

miguelnuva wrote:
This year was Disney's version of Destroy all monsters. No one will ever have another year like they did this year movie wise.
DAM doesn't even compare. It wasn't deliberately built up to for a decade. I agree, it'll be very difficult for today's short-sighted, i-want-my-maximum-profit-NAOW studios to patiently craft another event like the Infinity Saga, and now that one has happened, all other attempts will be pale imitations.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

Regardless of how GvK performs, at least Legendary will be able to live with the fact that the MonsterVerse wasn’t as big a failure as the Dark Universe.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Living Corpse wrote:

Yeah...Godzilla has just about as much personality as the lions in The Lion King (2019) do.
Image Image

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

If GvsKong is it, the Monsterverse got 4 movies. Not bad really in a world where Marvel and DC rule.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

On that note, and to paraphrase the Omni Viewer, better only four movies that really do well and are well liked than an ongoing series that peaks and then slowly declines until it ends not with a bang, but a whimper.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Living Corpse wrote:

Is there a red circle you can use for this or something cause I have no idea where you're seeing a smirk.

keizerkaiju
Monarch Researcher

Post by keizerkaiju »

KingKong2005 wrote: Yeah...Godzilla has just about as much personality as the lions in The Lion King (2019) do.
I'd say Godzilla is more expressive than the lions. At least they didn't have him singing, which was really awkward in Lion King '19.