Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I predict at least 8
He Jock it Made of Steel

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

miguelnuva wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Only on the internet will a person attack his fellow fandom, a director who is apart of said fandom and the film itself and then hold themselves on a high horse.
Nope, I’d do it in person too. Not that I’d call it “attacking” though.

Please tell me where I was on a high horse?
Here
But then there’s Godzilla fans. Some of you people are just so out of touch with reality it astounds me.
And here
like the fan base, values dumb monster action over a quality story and good editing.
Yeah, exactly... nothing there is glorifying myself or putting myself on a high horse. I’m simply criticizing the majority of the fan base because it often IS ridiculous.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

As long as GvK pushes the franchise over 2 billion I think it should be fine. 2 billion dollars over the course of 4 films is honestly very good for a non marvel or dc cinematic universe.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

kaanozozan
Samurai

Post by kaanozozan »

Gothicserpent wrote:As long as GvK pushes the franchise over 2 billion I think it should be fine. 2 billion dollars over the course of 4 films is honestly very good for a non marvel or dc cinematic universe.
I agree with you. So it needs to be at least 520 m, I predict 400-450 but 500 and above is not impossible with a good marketing campaing.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Heck even it makes almost 2 billion will be a ground breaker for an non DC or Marvel cinematic universe.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

kaanozozan wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:As long as GvK pushes the franchise over 2 billion I think it should be fine. 2 billion dollars over the course of 4 films is honestly very good for a non marvel or dc cinematic universe.
I agree with you. So it needs to be at least 520 m, I predict 400-450 but 500 and above is not impossible with a good marketing campaing.
It will undoubtedly do better then KOTM. But how how much I have no idea. It will probably do a bit better critically as well, snobbish critics seem to go easier on Kong.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

General audience dont care what critics say about movies mostly. Look at "Venom" and "The Rise of Skywalker". "Godzilla King of the Monsters" performed similar to "The Incredible Hulk" at the boxoffice (and that's an MCU movie). Throw Godzilla AND Kong in a movie (both made around $500M in their first movies), it should perform similar to "BvS" or "Marvel Civil War". Maybe not a $1B, but around that area. Personally, I think it'll make around $700M atleast.

As long the promotion and the film itself is good, the movie should be fine financially.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I think anything above $500 mil is a success as long as the budget its similar to KOTM. That needed $425 mil to start turning a profit.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

The pessimistic, yet realistic amount is 400 million

The optimistic, yet realistic amount is 600 million.

We’ll see where it lands
Long Live The King

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I can't see it making more then 600 million.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Making box office predictions without any marketing is very very very very very pointless....

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

My personal goal is that the Monsterverse is over 2 billion worldwide after this film. Basically needs 450m for that. I think that’s achievable.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Cookson wrote:My personal goal is that the Monsterverse is over 2 billion worldwide after this film. Basically needs 450m for that. I think that’s achievable.
Hopefully that will be enough to keep it going.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I think Godzilla and Kong can get 650m personally. That's not too much higher than g14 and KSI considering this is a crossover.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

miguelnuva wrote:I think Godzilla and Kong can get 650m personally. That's not too much higher than g14 and KSI considering this is a crossover.
It definitely has the crossover novelty which should bring in more viewers, even those in the GA who upon seeing KOTM ads thought “Pff another Godzilla movie? Who cares”. At the same time, 650 seems way too blindly optimistic.

Eternals can become Black Panther 2.0, GvK lacks any audience-bringing actors (unlike G14 and KSI), the film could get a Rotten score etc. There’s too many variables to account to be able to predict such a large amount like 650.
Long Live The King

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

miguelnuva wrote:I think Godzilla and Kong can get 650m personally. That's not too much higher than g14 and KSI considering this is a crossover.

Your optimism is great but I think 650$ million is to high for this film. Godzilla vs Kong has one of the same problems G-KOTM has and that's star power. Sure the actors and actresses are good but there not The Rock or anything that can pull in a lot of GA. G-2014 had Cranston coming right off Breaking Bad which was HUGE. An KSI had Loki, Nick Fury and Captain Marvel.

Other than one of the Skarsgard's and Eiza González can you honestly name anyone else in the cast? Even then I had to look up Eiza's name because I only remember her from Dusk Till Dawn TV series and Hobs and Shaw.

Godzilla and Kong are the only reason anyone will give a damn about it. It will def being in the monster fans and bring in interest from GA but depending on how it's promoted and the trailers will it be enough.

It will make more than G-KOTM, reviews will determine how much more. I say maybe 425$ to 450$ million worldwide, although I would for it to be more.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I think 650 is doable because Godzilla vs Kong got more buzz than any monsterverse film before it was even offical and it doesn't have the crowed summer that kotm had to deal with.

I still believe had kotm come out before Endgame ot wouldnhave made 100m more than it did.

Disney both directly and indirectly clogged the box office once Endgame hit.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

miguelnuva wrote:I think 650 is doable because Godzilla vs Kong got more buzz than any monsterverse film before it was even offical and it doesn't have the crowed summer that kotm had to deal with.

I still believe had kotm come out before Endgame ot wouldnhave made 100m more than it did.

Yeah. WB or whoever was in charge of moving the movie up a month overestimated how much draw Godzilla has, especially after the the fact it still had damage from 98's fallout. They should have had it come out in March like they originally intended and not start marketing till closer to release so the hype didn't die by the time it came out. Sure it'd have to compete with Captain Marvel but at least it's not Endgame. CM is a Marvel movie. Endgame is THE Marvel movie.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

miguelnuva wrote:I still believe had kotm come out before Endgame ot wouldnhave made 100m more than it did.

Yep its always Disneys fault. When a movie you like fails at the boxoffice either blame the marketing or the other guy. Its never about the fact that maybe people weren't just interested in seeing the film.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:I still believe had kotm come out before Endgame ot wouldnhave made 100m more than it did.

Yep its always Disneys fault. When a movie you like fails at the boxoffice either blame the marketing or the other guy. Its never about the fact that maybe people weren't just interested in seeing the film.
If it was just Kotm that underperformed I wouldn't say Disney's larger summer had anything to do with it. I don't hate Disney for the sake of hating them.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image