Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

UltramanGoji wrote:Please tell me you're joking.
Not everyone knows popular franchises you know.

Also as mentioned different demographics. Ones an romance musical, the other is an action-adventure giant monster flick.

With Coming 2 America and Top Gun (Depending how popular it is) I could see those as competition.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
You're acting like nobody has heard of one of the most popular Broadway musicals of all time. That's akin to me saying "Star Wars? Who's ever heard of that?". You should probably know what is and isn't popular and well-known before making assumptions over what will and won't succeed.
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Also as mentioned different demographics.
Different demographics =/= easy street for GVK. You don't know how theaters operate.

Movies being released so tightly together creates a massive problem no matter the type of movie. Screen real estate is the absolute biggest problem you can have with this situation.

Every movie theater has a set amount of screens. I'll use the one I work at as an example, there's twelve screens for that theater. The manager of each theater is going to have to go through and choose a set amount of screens for each and every movie that comes out a certain weekend as well as keep up with demand for films that are already out.

December 18th is in the middle of a huge wave of films. Twelve theaters are gonna need to be filled and usually with Disney mandates that means at least two screens but we'll go easy and say two for Black Widow and only one for Soul. Then you have NTTD, a likely successful enough film to warrant one theater, then Free Guy and Samaritan, then Coming 2 America. That's seven screens gone and we haven't even reached past the supposed release date. West Side Story is absolutely going to be the breakout star that weekend so give it another two theaters as well. Nine auditoriums full. Let's add one more straggler from the past month in to fill a smaller theater with Clifford and one more film in Happiest Season that's probably going to be gone the next weekend. Finally, let's plop GVK in there. All full!

But then comes the next weekend with Top Gun, Tom & Jerry, and Croods. So now the whole thing we just did? We have to go through it again and shift theaters even more.

You get what I'm saying? Different demographics won't mean shit if the theaters are already crowded as is with enough films to fill every screen. GVK is in a precarious spot whether it's November or December. Stop thinking little of other big hits around that time, you're just setting yourself up for maximum disappointment.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I'm going to be blunt but people just needs to accept the fact no matter what there's always going to be competition so whenever Godzilla vs. Kong releases there's nothing we can do and words isn't gonna change what happens.

I swear...It seems no matter the genre giant monsters always gets the short end of the stick and seemingly the least popular of all genres even towards cult following franchises like Bill & Ted, Coming to America and supposedly Top Gun which you guys seem to treat this franchise like when it comes to competition.

Guess we know where that stigma comes from then...Doesn't help Godzilla was made in Japan...Which is all ironic given Godzilla and King Kong are suppose to be the most iconic cinematic movies.
UltramanGoji wrote:You're acting like nobody has heard of one of the most popular Broadway musicals of all time. That's akin to me saying "Star Wars? Who's ever heard of that?". You should probably know what is and isn't popular and well-known before making assumptions over what will and won't succeed.
I thought Romeo and Juliet was the most popular Broadway musical?

Also why isn't it until now you guys didn't mention that or Coming 2 America and Top Gun being competition?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:You're acting like nobody has heard of one of the most popular Broadway musicals of all time. That's akin to me saying "Star Wars? Who's ever heard of that?". You should probably know what is and isn't popular and well-known before making assumptions over what will and won't succeed.
I thought Romeo and Juliet was the most popular Broadway musical?
Bro. Please. You have to be joking.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

UltramanGoji wrote:Bro. Please. You have to be joking.
I mean it did start off as an play. Isn't that technically the same as an Broadway musicial? :?

ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

UltramanGoji wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
You're acting like nobody has heard of one of the most popular Broadway musicals of all time. That's akin to me saying "Star Wars? Who's ever heard of that?". You should probably know what is and isn't popular and well-known before making assumptions over what will and won't succeed.
Different demographics =/= easy street for GVK. You don't know how theaters operate.

Movies being released so tightly together creates a massive problem no matter the type of movie. Screen real estate is the absolute biggest problem you can have with this situation.

Every movie theater has a set amount of screens. I'll use the one I work at as an example, there's twelve screens for that theater. The manager of each theater is going to have to go through and choose a set amount of screens for each and every movie that comes out a certain weekend as well as keep up with demand for films that are already out.

December 18th is in the middle of a huge wave of films. Twelve theaters are gonna need to be filled and usually with Disney mandates that means at least two screens but we'll go easy and say two for Black Widow and only one for Soul. Then you have NTTD, a likely successful enough film to warrant one theater, then Free Guy and Samaritan, then Coming 2 America. That's seven screens gone and we haven't even reached past the supposed release date. West Side Story is absolutely going to be the breakout star that weekend so give it another two theaters as well. Nine auditoriums full. Let's add one more straggler from the past month in to fill a smaller theater with Clifford and one more film in Happiest Season that's probably going to be gone the next weekend. Finally, let's plop GVK in there. All full!

But then comes the next weekend with Top Gun, Tom & Jerry, and Croods. So now the whole thing we just did? We have to go through it again and shift theaters even more.

You get what I'm saying? Different demographics won't mean poop if the theaters are already crowded as is with enough films to fill every screen. GVK is in a precarious spot whether it's November or December. Stop thinking little of other big hits around that time, you're just setting yourself up for maximum disappointment.
Oh god, it looks like very chaotic working on a cinema. That actually makes me very preoccupied of Godzilla vs Kong. I hope it doesn't disappear from the theaters so soon as KOTM did.
When those fleeting lives destined to die, forget their humbleness and sing praises of their glory, such will shake the very heavens and split the earth, and they shall know the wrath of the divine. The inevitable incarnation of destruction. So, you show yourself at last. Since we last saw each other, it has been 20 years for us and 20,000 years for you. It's been a while... Oh, King of Destruction.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I wanna ask? Are there any genres less popular then giant monsters? Because I'm convinced if this is the case the giant monster genre is.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

ReiwaGodzilla wrote: Oh god, it looks like very chaotic working on a cinema. That actually makes me very preoccupied of Godzilla vs Kong. I hope it doesn't disappear from the theaters so soon as KOTM did.
It really isn't usually this bad, but this mad rush to get everything out only a week apart from each other is going to make it so.

If you're planning on seeing it in IMAX, I'd recommend going opening weekend. It's not going to stick around there much longer.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

At this rate given there's always going to be competition. Assuming COVID-19 persists by November they should just put the movie on hold until things blow over then decide on an new release date and given everything happening right now I could see Toho extending the contract.

That will be my final say on things.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
I mean it did start off as an play. Isn't that technically the same as an Broadway musicial? :?
No. Romeo and Juliet was not originally a Broadway musical. It wasn’t a musical and there wasn’t even a Broadway.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

G2000 wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
No. Romeo and Juliet was not originally a Broadway musical. It wasn’t a musical and there wasn’t even a Broadway.
In one word: SHAKESPEARE.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

UltramanGoji wrote:

You get what I'm saying? Different demographics won't mean poop if the theaters are already crowded as is with enough films to fill every screen. GVK is in a precarious spot whether it's November or December. Stop thinking little of other big hits around that time, you're just setting yourself up for maximum disappointment.
Whoa, someone that understands that just because a movie has "different demographics", that doesn't mean it isn't a competitor

Added in 1 minute 1 second:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:At this rate given there's always going to be competition. Assuming COVID-19 persists by November they should just put the movie on hold until things blow over then decide on an new release date and given everything happening right now I could see Toho extending the contract.

That will be my final say on things.
What they should do is take Venom's spot of October 2nd, but I know that won't happen

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Moogabunga wrote:What they should do is take Venom's spot of October 2nd, but I know that won't happen
And what happens if the virus continues all year and more competitive movies gets moved to October?

I said it before no matter what there's always going to be competition. Nothing we can do about it. I still say put the film on hold until things blow over.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

There will always be competition yest but if you were a basketball player do you want to play against Lebron James and Steph Curry or against on Lonzo ball and Ben Simmons.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

Just gonna remind y'all that Godzilla vs Kong's release date won't matter if the lockdowns persist even so long as a month from now. By that point thousands of people are gonna have had their lives and careers completely ruined.

Just saying. Any longer of this and there's practically no reason to release movies anyway, because everybody's lives will have already been ruined.
Last edited by Godzillasaurus on Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Godzillasaurus wrote:
Just saying. Any longer of this and there's practically no reason to release movies anyway, because everybody's lives will have already been ruined.

Yo. Speak for yourself.

#Essential.

:D

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Godzillasaurus wrote:Just gonna remind y'all that Godzilla vs Kong's release date won't matter if the lockdowns persist even so long as a month from now. By that point thousands of people are gonna have had their lives and careers completely ruined.

lol. Ok doom and gloom. I'd say give it a little more time before declaring the end of the world.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

MM Raids Again wrote:Yo. Speak for yourself.

#Essential.

:D
Ditto here and all under my dad. He owns his house as with others which I'll be moving into next month. ;)

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: I thought Romeo and Juliet was the most popular Broadway musical?
Yup, same way the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is everyone's favorite comedy

RIP Evan.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

I’m pretty sure a lot of movies, GvK maybe included, will need to move to summer 2021 when films like Jurassic World: Dominion get pushed. Today, Mission Impossible 7 and Spider-Man 3 got moved to November, and replaced them with weaker blockbusters that shouldn’t be major competition.
Yooo 8-)