Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I'm more optimistic then ever actually.

I'm pretty confident this will at least do better then King of the Monsters. Because Kong is in the movie and title and there's crossover appeal since every crossover in their franchise made the most money such as Freddy vs. Jason and Alien vs. Predator notably.

Still keeping expectations low just to be safe and avoid disappointment but I am very certain it'll cross over $400 million. That I can guarantee. ;)

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

They should change the title to King Kong vs. Godzilla.

Adds more focus to Kong, also this universe already has “Godzilla” and “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” as titles even though there were films titled the same way in the past. It can help audiences come in a side with Kong as well, Godzilla has had two chances and it seems like there’s not much in favor for his franchise after KOTM, at least domestically.
Yooo 8-)

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

While I do think this movie will gross more than $400 million, I don't think this movie will get $150 domestically.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

Funny how everybody keeps preaching about how Kong is more marketable than Godzilla, because a few years ago when Kong wasn't tracking well, everyone was sayin the opposite.

King of the Monsters flopped for a multitude of reasons. And it's not because Kong is a bigger name, because Godzilla 2014 says otherwise. Kong only made more worldwide because of China, and that's WITH inflation.

Everybody had pretty much already blew their load to Endgame already so they desired to watch nothing else but Aladdin. Just accept that KOTM flopped and move on. Stop trying to attribute it to Godzilla being a smaller name than Kong
Last edited by Godzillasaurus on Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

JGAR wrote:They should change the title to King Kong vs. Godzilla.

Adds more focus to Kong, also this universe already has “Godzilla” and “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” as titles even though there were films titled the same way in the past. It can help audiences come in a side with Kong as well, Godzilla has had two chances and it seems like there’s not much in favor for his franchise after KOTM, at least domestically.

The title of Godzilla vs Kong is fine - not to mention it sounds better. Considering I already typed out a long ass comment on another thread on this tiresome claim of Kong being much much more popular in the mainstream, I'll keep this short. The Monsterverse is Godzilla's franchise, not Kong's. Godzilla (2014) had an opening weekend of $93 million compared to KSI's $68 million and even though G14's legs were horrendous, G14 still went on to earn much more than KSI domestically (and was only beaten world-wide because China was not as big of a market at the time). Yeah, KOTM completely stumbled, but that had way more to do with the fact that they waited 5 years and the questionable marketing, which consisted of releasing their first trailer too damn early, and then having this weird fixation on those cringy one liners throughout the rest of the marketing. Bottom line is...the title is fine

#KongSucksBananas
Last edited by Moogabunga on Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Godzillasaurus wrote:Funny how everybody keeps preaching about how Kong is more marketable than Godzilla, because a few years ago when Kong wasn't tracking well, everyone was sayin the opposite.

King of the Monsters flopped for a multitude of reasons. And it's not because Kong is a bigger name, because Godzilla 2014 says otherwise. Kong only made more worldwide because of China, and that's WITH inflation.

Everybody had pretty much already blew their load to Endgame already so they desired to watch nothing else but Aladdin. Just accept that KOTM flopped and move on. Stop trying to attribute it to Godzilla being a smaller name than Kong
I definitely agree with this sentiment. If the movie is in safe creative and marketing hands, it could do amounts like G14. The key is, especially for opening weekend, to have very good marketing that builds tons of hype like G14 did and unlike KOTM.
Long Live The King

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

K:SI made more money then G14.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

^It made more because of China only

KOTM basically being made for the fans and being released after everybody had already came to Avengers: Endlame proved disastrous for the box office.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Well whatever happens in November happens. All we can do is hope.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Moogabunga wrote: The title of Godzilla vs Kong is fine - not to mention it sounds better. Considering I already typed out a long ass comment on another thread on this tiresome claim of Kong being much much more popular in the mainstream, I'll keep this short. The Monsterverse is Godzilla's franchise, not Kong's.
No, the MonsterVerse is both their franchises and your bias against Kong isn't gonna change that.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Moogabunga wrote:
JGAR wrote:(and was only beaten world-wide because China was not as big of a market at the time).
This is not true. As I mentioned earlier Pacific Rim out grossed Godzilla by over $30M when it came out a year earlier in 2013. China was a huge International market before 2014. China really began to become a major player at the global box office in the early 2010s.

Just look at 2014 releases in China

Transformers Age of Extinction made over $300 M
The Hobbit made over $121 M
Guardians of the Galaxy made almost $90 M
Interstellar made over $121 M
Amazing Spiderman 2 made $96 M
Planet of the Apes made $107 M
Captain America made over $115 M
Xmen made over $115 M

So Hollywood films were pulling in big numbers in China before and during 2014.
Last edited by The Octopus on Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Moogabunga wrote:
JGAR wrote:They should change the title to King Kong vs. Godzilla.

The title of Godzilla vs Kong is fine - not to mention it sounds better. Considering I already typed out a long ass comment on another thread on this tiresome claim of Kong being much much more popular in the mainstream, I'll keep this short. The Monsterverse is Godzilla's franchise, not Kong's. Godzilla (2014) had an opening weekend of $93 million compared to KSI's $68 million and even though G14's legs were horrendous, G14 still went on to earn much more than KSI domestically (and was only beaten world-wide because China was not as big of a market at the time). Yeah, KOTM completely stumbled, but that had way more to do with the fact that they waited 5 years and the questionable marketing, which consisted of releasing their first trailer too damn early, and then having this weird fixation on those cringy one liners throughout the rest of the marketing. Bottom line is...the title is fine

#KongSucksBananas
Monsterverse is a shared franchise.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Wow the Godzilla bias is strong in this fandom.

Like, there’s fan-bias, which is expected and normal.

But then there’s Godzilla fans. Some of you people are just so out of touch with reality it astounds me.

There are kids on Reddit saying KOTM was snubbed with the Oscar Noms. No. Kotm was a shit film made by a man-child who, like the fan base, values dumb monster action over a quality story and good editing.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

GoWhaleTours wrote:Wow the Godzilla bias is strong in this fandom.
This is the best comment ever on a Godzilla message board
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GoWhaleTours wrote:No. Kotm was a poop film made by a man-child who, like the fan base, values dumb monster action over a quality story and good editing.
:roll:

This is why I hate fandoms. Dislike of a movie quickly devolves into personal attacks on the artist.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote:No. Kotm was a poop film made by a man-child who, like the fan base, values dumb monster action over a quality story and good editing.
:roll:

This is why I hate fandoms. Dislike of a movie quickly devolves into personal attacks on the artist.
Kind of similar to how *like* of a movie quickly devolves into personal attacks on those who disagree.

And it wasn’t really an insult. You can see it from the way he spoke in interviews and on twitter. The way the film plays out. It’s just off, and it feels cheap.

If there’s ever been someone who blindly loves anything from their favorite franchises, it’s me. But KOTM just want good, at all. And that IS the fault of the “artist.”
Having said that, I’m not discounting the hard work put in by both him and the cast and crew that devoted their time to putting out the best movie they could with what they had to work with.
GO GO GOJI KUN

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

GoWhaleTours wrote:Kotm was a poop film made by a man-child who
That was uncalled for? Was that necessary? :|

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Only on the internet will a person attack his fellow fandom, a director who is apart of said fandom and the film itself and then hold themselves on a high horse.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

miguelnuva wrote:Only on the internet will a person attack his fellow fandom, a director who is apart of said fandom and the film itself and then hold themselves on a high horse.
Nope, I’d do it in person too. Not that I’d call it “attacking” though.

Please tell me where I was on a high horse?
GO GO GOJI KUN

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GoWhaleTours wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Only on the internet will a person attack his fellow fandom, a director who is apart of said fandom and the film itself and then hold themselves on a high horse.
Nope, I’d do it in person too. Not that I’d call it “attacking” though.

Please tell me where I was on a high horse?
Here
But then there’s Godzilla fans. Some of you people are just so out of touch with reality it astounds me.
And here
like the fan base, values dumb monster action over a quality story and good editing.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image