Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by vibramrunner »

Nani wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:The thing that sucked about the fights was cutting away, especially when Godzilla and KG charge at each other and then all of a sudden we just need to have the Argo jet fly right in front of them battling. This is also seen when Ghidorah and Rodan fight each other, but then we cut to some people needing safety or whatever.
The cuts personally didn't bug me in KOTM like they did in G14. I think they were done better and also I found the humans enjoyable so when it cut to them doing action stuff I really didn't mind.
I’m with you. In G14, the cuts took you out of the action completely. In KoTM, most of the cuts, if not all, are involved with the monster scenes, which is how it should be done. Example: the osprey landing in Fenway and Mark Russell and co running between Godzilla and Ghidorah’s feet.
I liked the concept of the Fenway/Russell scenes, and I thought it worked well in Antarctica, but in Boston, between the gittery camera and how dark everything was, it doesn't work for me. Some of it is just the massive size of Godzilla and Ghidorah though. The helicopter scenes in SI were amazing, as were the Skull Crawler scenes in the boneyard were good too. To me, nothing has come anywhere close to Kong 2005 in terms of syncing humans in with monster fights.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

I so hope that they do not include too silly scenes in this movie. Like they did in KOTM. I enjoyed that movie a lot - until the stratosphere drop scene. That was sooo over the top compared to the otherwise more grounded/realistic approach the Monsterverse took before. Any feeling of realism was thrown over board for me at this point. It felt like almost showa style camp. Ghidorah lifting double his own weight into the freaking strotosphere...? Godzilla taking a several miles fall and crash into the ground without instant death...?! Come on... his pure body mass alone would already nearly squish himself by just existing. Multiply that with such an impact force and you have Showa style unrealism. Ghidorah lifting him up like 500 to 600 feet and then slamming him into the ground would have been totally sufficient - without being flat out silly. Same sillyness with a modern day nuke exploding right in his face. His scaly hide must be made of Adamantium or Vibranium. Dude is basically unkillable. I hope GvsK doesn't include idiotic stuff to this extend again. It's just ridiculous and completely unbelievable.
Last edited by Petezilla on Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Size DOES matter!

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Formerly known as kurtzilla

ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

Petezilla wrote:I so hope that they do not include too silly scenes in this movie. Like they did in KOTM. I enjoyed that movie a lot - until the stratosphere drop scene. That was sooo over the top compared to the otherwise more grounded/realistic approach the Monsterverse took before. Any feeling of realism was thrown over board for me at this point. It felt like almost showa style camp. Ghidorah lifting double his own weight into the freaking strotosphere...? Godzilla taking a several miles fall and crash into the ground without instant death...?! Come on... his pure body mass alone would already nearly squish himself by just existing. Multiply that with such an impact force and you have Showa style unrealism. Ghidorah lifting him up like 500 to 600 feet and then slamming him into the ground would have been totally sufficient - without being flat out silly. Same sillyness with a modern day nuke exploding right in his face. His scaly hide must be made of Adamantium or Vibranium. Dude is basically unkillable. I hope GvsK doesn't include idiotic stuff to this extend again. It's just ridiculous and completely unbelievable.
I felt the same about Ghidorah lifting Godzilla, i even laughed at the cinema because how cheesy it's, but, since Ghidorah is an alien, i guess his muscles are much more powerful and capable of lifting things heavy as Godzilla, so, i managed to overcome that. Actually, i never cared about Godzilla impossibly being able to survive in absurd situations, it's so common, though, an explanation why he's so resistant would be nice, just like Shin Godzilla did explaining why Godzilla can grow so big.
When those fleeting lives destined to die, forget their humbleness and sing praises of their glory, such will shake the very heavens and split the earth, and they shall know the wrath of the divine. The inevitable incarnation of destruction. So, you show yourself at last. Since we last saw each other, it has been 20 years for us and 20,000 years for you. It's been a while... Oh, King of Destruction.

Nani
Interpol Agent

Post by Nani »

Ghidorah weighs 50,000 more tons than Godzilla though

So Monsters lifting up other monsters is considered cheesy now?
Last edited by Nani on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

It still was/is a cheesy scene. Not sooo much the lifting, but the drop & impact scene as a whole.
Last edited by Petezilla on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Size DOES matter!

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

It was a dumb scene, as was Godzilla taking a nuke to the face.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

This thread is bad take central today
GO GO GOJI KUN

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

LMAO. That looks so photoshopped. :lol:

Italian G-Fan
Interpol Agent

Post by Italian G-Fan »

Petezilla wrote:I so hope that they do not include too silly scenes in this movie. Like they did in KOTM. I enjoyed that movie a lot - until the stratosphere drop scene. That was sooo over the top compared to the otherwise more grounded/realistic approach the Monsterverse took before. Any feeling of realism was thrown over board for me at this point. It felt like almost showa style camp. Ghidorah lifting double his own weight into the freaking strotosphere...? Godzilla taking a several miles fall and crash into the ground without instant death...?! Come on... his pure body mass alone would already nearly squish himself by just existing. Multiply that with such an impact force and you have Showa style unrealism. Ghidorah lifting him up like 500 to 600 feet and then slamming him into the ground would have been totally sufficient - without being flat out silly. Same sillyness with a modern day nuke exploding right in his face. His scaly hide must be made of Adamantium or Vibranium. Dude is basically unkillable. I hope GvsK doesn't include idiotic stuff to this extend again. It's just ridiculous and completely unbelievable.
What’s wrong with going Showa style? One of the reasons of why I liked KOTM was because it was basically like a modern Showa movie
And I actually would like to see the Monsterverse go full Showa style like KOTMif it will continue. I would actually really like that. Am I the only one who wants this?

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

It would be totally fine, IF it was established from start. But they started realistic (G'14), then scratched not too serious (K:SO) and then switched to almost campy (KOTM). It doesn't fit or make much sense to do that in a consistent universe. While trying new things, stay true to your established style. The style switch simply doesn't float my boat.
Size DOES matter!

Italian G-Fan
Interpol Agent

Post by Italian G-Fan »

Petezilla wrote:It would be totally fine, IF it was established from start. But they started realistic (G'14), then scratched not too serious (K:SO) and then switched to almost campy (KOTM). It doesn't fit or make much sense to do that in a consistent universe. While trying new things, stay true to your established style. The style switch simply doesn't float my boat.
I mean... the same thing happened in the Showa era. It started incredibly serious, dark and almost realistic with Gojira, with only changing totally style and going full unrealistic with the next Showa movies.

Nani
Interpol Agent

Post by Nani »

Imo, I don’t find KoTM that campy and no where near showa level of camp

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

GoWhaleTours wrote:This thread is bad take central today
You ain't wrong

I'd love to know how Godzilla tanking a nuke to the face is "cheesy" or bad in any way? (Keep in mind, he also took a nuke to the face in G14)

ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

Nani wrote:Imo, I don’t find KoTM that campy and no where near showa level of camp
Yeah, me too, it's relatively a bit grounded than various Godzilla movies. Though, there's some showa elements present, like a flying monsters lifting another monster in the air, i don't that ever happened outside Showa era, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edited by ReiwaGodzilla on Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
When those fleeting lives destined to die, forget their humbleness and sing praises of their glory, such will shake the very heavens and split the earth, and they shall know the wrath of the divine. The inevitable incarnation of destruction. So, you show yourself at last. Since we last saw each other, it has been 20 years for us and 20,000 years for you. It's been a while... Oh, King of Destruction.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The problem with the nuke scene isn't any farcical psuedoscience associated with it or anything, it's that it's...kind of uncomfortable pro-nuclear stance present in a franchise where even the most maligned entries were smart enough not to glorify nuclear weapons. It's kind of a pro-militaristic, American (for lack of a better term) psychology and it feels really out of place among other Godzilla movies. Even G98 was smart enough not to put the French nuclear tests Godzilla was created in a positive life and actually features the French government trying in some way to atone for their mistakes. Even Godzilla vs. Megalon gives the Seatopians a very understandable hatred against humanity for conducting atomic bomb tests that disrupt and destroy their home.

And then there's the elephant in the room: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. A movie with a very similar plot point revolving around using nuclear energy to revive Godzilla. It still treats the use of atomic weapons in a beneficial way as a mistake. Shindo is not a morally good character. He's a corrupt businessman stuck in the days of the war. The fact his company owns a nuclear submarine is not met with reverence, it's met with unease and outrage. But it's the one thing they can do to try and stop the Futurians so they go through with it. It fails. Godzilla was already revived, the nuke makes him stronger and more aggressive. He stops King Ghidorah but then turns right back onto Japan and destroys it. The nuke revived Godzilla but arguably made the situation worse. The nuke revival is not treated positively at all during the film.

King of the Monsters' framing is not super aggressively pro-nuclear arms but it's very weirdly portrayed. Hard to accurately describe, but it feels very out of place.

Nani
Interpol Agent

Post by Nani »

ReiwaGodzilla wrote:
Nani wrote:Imo, I don’t find KoTM that campy and no where near showa level of camp
Yeah, me too, it's relatively a bit grounded than various Godzilla movies. Though, there's some showa elements present, like a flying monsters lifting another monster in the air, i don't that ever happened outside Showa era, please correct me if I'm wrong.
I mean, I just don’t see anything campy about a monster using the power of flight as an advantageous weapon in battle.

There is anguirus who bites one of Ghidorah’s necks and Ghidorah flies with him attached haha

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

Did Destroyoah lift Godzilla Jr?
. . .

HighFlyers77
Monarch Researcher

Post by HighFlyers77 »

That’s from a guy on Instagram named victor or something. He is known for his fan art and he made that one.