Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

Post by ernesth100 »

It's really not hard to make good characters. I don't know why they struggle so in these films. I feel like it's the situation. How would YOU act if giant monsters existed? Normal? Different? Insane? Somber?

It's hard to want characters to act a certain way when there's no definitive way they should act.

M
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

The Zilla in Manila
Samurai

Post by The Zilla in Manila »

Similar to some others in here, I kind of feel like GVK has retroactively made KOTM better. I've always loved KOTM but considering how cut up GVK is, it feels even more evident how much of a swing Dougherty took with the film and even though its a flawed movie, I appreciate the effort more. KOTM also treats its villains/antagonists way better.

That's not to GVK is garbage. It's not. It's immensely fun. The action is really awesome and unquestionably clear. And despite the cuts to the film, Wingard captured a good pace. The story just doesn't bother to make sense really.
Resized Image

"It's funny because I was sitting there with [President Barack] Obama and Leo's [DiCaprio] is talking about the environment and I'm talking about clothes. And everyone looks at me like that's not an important issue or something." - The Brain of Kanye

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

The Zilla in Manila wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:00 am Similar to some others in here, I kind of feel like GVK has retroactively made KOTM better. I've always loved KOTM but considering how cut up GVK is, it feels even more evident how much of a swing Dougherty took with the film and even though its a flawed movie, I appreciate the effort more. KOTM also treats its villains/antagonists way better.

That's not to GVK is garbage. It's not. It's immensely fun. The action is really awesome and unquestionably clear. And despite the cuts to the film, Wingard captured a good pace. The story just doesn't bother to make sense really.
I feel like GvK was intended with a possibility of finality in the event Covid destroyed the film industry.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

Dont care for the Monsterverse personally
Last edited by tenup on Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaqua92
Interpol Agent

Post by Jaqua92 »

I thought it was fun.

KOTM and GvK were the two worst written films of the monsterverse, and teamGodzilla was pretty bad.

But, this movie embraced itself, and created a tone more confidentally than the other three movies.

Team Kong was great. Dr Illene was a weak point. I like Rebecca Hall A LOT. but she wasn't given great Dialogue. She was there basically to blow Kong lol

Little girl was great. Sarsgard..well, I don't think I've ever disliked a performance from any of that family, in anything, ever. His dialogue wasn't awful, but he made it work. They should have cut back on the Kong slobbering from Rebecca Halls character.

That said, their plot was still great. Overall plot wasn't as bad as I thought...it was really just really really simple.

Godzilla attacks. He's bad. Except he's not. Because he's trying to stop the creation of Mechagodzilla. Bad guy. Manipulates depressed scientist into leading an expedition into hollow earth, to power Mecha G. Depressed scientist, trying to overcome the grief of his brother (which, by the way, is something they should have fleshed out way more), agrees. In doing do, he then manipulates a fellow friend scientist, who works with Kong, and uses moncarchs concern for Kong's home as a tool to manipulate him into leading them into hollow earth.

Team Kong helped the bad guys. Didn't know that there WERE bad guys.

Bad guy frames Godzilla. Bad guy manipulates good guys into helping bad guy. In doing do, Kong and Godzilla are forced into fights. Kong is almost killed twice. Mecha G is created. Godzilla old enemy takes over Mecha G. Titans come together. Kill it. Go separate ways.

^^^^^^^ This is not a bad plot guys. It's all you need. My issue is that the pacing was just a tad too fast. And the dialogue I give a 5.5-6.0/10. I give the plot 8/10. I give
the executive of the human element of the plot a 5/

It could have benefited from a few reshoots and rewrites. Godzilla was scary, awesome, and not enough. I wish they gave him a bit more. He was as expressive as ever. Looked as best as ever. There just wasn't as much focus on him as I thought. But I'll give that a pass. Because he was still awesome. 9/10.

Kong. 10/10. Best portrayal of ANY Titan in the MV. And I'm a Godzilla guy. My girlfriend watched this with me in Imax and she gave a thumbs up after Kong "won round 2", and gave a thumbs down after Godzilla mauled him to death. I thought I'd be pumped to see Godzilla finally beat Kong, especially in such a one sided brawl. But after spending the movie with Kong, that victory felt hollow. I felt bad, and disappointed. 10/10 because of that. Kong was great and my empathy sat with him the entire time.

Mechagodzilla, 8/10. His introduction and reasoning for existence was pretty simple. Fair enough. The power source thing could have been explained a bit better. That stuff gives me a 5/10. But everything else made it a 7/10 overall, but then the switch from Mechagodzilla into Ghidorah-Mechagodzilla gave it an 8 out of 10. I always feel bad for villains losing. But not him. It was cool watching him beat up Godzilla. But I also didn't feel bad for Godzilla. Because...this is big here.

1. Kong's story pulled all the emotions my viewing self could give.

2. Godzilla is nature in the MV. He just can't be beaten to death or into unconsciousness. Would the breath down his throat kill him? Probably. Would a fully healthy Godzilla avoid that (not win, but avoid THAT?) who knows. But one thing we've learned is that Godzilla just comes back. He fatiques but melee just doesn't put him down. Ghidorah is still the toughest opponent he's had, imo. But, you didn't fear for Godzilla. Because if Kong saw the light, nature wins and stays in balance. As long as nature is in balance, Godzilla remains king. And Mecha G can't do shit to him. That's why I never felt the significance of Mecha G beating up Godzilla because it really was "been there done that".

Monster action was 10/10. I loved the embrace into fantasy. It knew what it was. Embraced it.

Loved the movie over all. I'm a critic by nature. This movie was full of things to critique. I don't care. What it did right, it wanted to do right and it did it wonderfully
Please check out the first battle in the Tohokingdom Monsterverse Battle Thread/Tier project! First battle is Nuke Amped Boston Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31251

System intro below.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31260&p=1820343#p1820343

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I can not even remember Charlie Dance's character at all. Looks like I'm in for a rewatch.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tenup wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:52 am Dont care for the Monsterverse personally
Good for you buddy! Thanks! :D
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

tenup wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:52 am Dont care for the Monsterverse personally
Yet you evidently care enough to say this in a thread about a Monsterverse film in the Monsterverse section of the forum. Quite interesting I'd say myself :)

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

Jaqua92 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:09 am I thought it was fun.

KOTM and GvK were the two worst written films of the monsterverse, and teamGodzilla was pretty bad.

But, this movie embraced itself, and created a tone more confidentally than the other three movies.

Team Kong was great. Dr Illene was a weak point. I like Rebecca Hall A LOT. but she wasn't given great Dialogue. She was there basically to blow Kong lol

Little girl was great. Sarsgard..well, I don't think I've ever disliked a performance from any of that family, in anything, ever. His dialogue wasn't awful, but he made it work. They should have cut back on the Kong slobbering from Rebecca Halls character.

That said, their plot was still great. Overall plot wasn't as bad as I thought...it was really just really really simple.

Godzilla attacks. He's bad. Except he's not. Because he's trying to stop the creation of Mechagodzilla. Bad guy. Manipulates depressed scientist into leading an expedition into hollow earth, to power Mecha G. Depressed scientist, trying to overcome the grief of his brother (which, by the way, is something they should have fleshed out way more), agrees. In doing do, he then manipulates a fellow friend scientist, who works with Kong, and uses moncarchs concern for Kong's home as a tool to manipulate him into leading them into hollow earth.

Team Kong helped the bad guys. Didn't know that there WERE bad guys.

Bad guy frames Godzilla. Bad guy manipulates good guys into helping bad guy. In doing do, Kong and Godzilla are forced into fights. Kong is almost killed twice. Mecha G is created. Godzilla old enemy takes over Mecha G. Titans come together. Kill it. Go separate ways.

^^^^^^^ This is not a bad plot guys. It's all you need. My issue is that the pacing was just a tad too fast. And the dialogue I give a 5.5-6.0/10. I give the plot 8/10. I give
the executive of the human element of the plot a 5/

It could have benefited from a few reshoots and rewrites. Godzilla was scary, awesome, and not enough. I wish they gave him a bit more. He was as expressive as ever. Looked as best as ever. There just wasn't as much focus on him as I thought. But I'll give that a pass. Because he was still awesome. 9/10.

Kong. 10/10. Best portrayal of ANY Titan in the MV. And I'm a Godzilla guy. My girlfriend watched this with me in Imax and she gave a thumbs up after Kong "won round 2", and gave a thumbs down after Godzilla mauled him to death. I thought I'd be pumped to see Godzilla finally beat Kong, especially in such a one sided brawl. But after spending the movie with Kong, that victory felt hollow. I felt bad, and disappointed. 10/10 because of that. Kong was great and my empathy sat with him the entire time.

Mechagodzilla, 8/10. His introduction and reasoning for existence was pretty simple. Fair enough. The power source thing could have been explained a bit better. That stuff gives me a 5/10. But everything else made it a 7/10 overall, but then the switch from Mechagodzilla into Ghidorah-Mechagodzilla gave it an 8 out of 10. I always feel bad for villains losing. But not him. It was cool watching him beat up Godzilla. But I also didn't feel bad for Godzilla. Because...this is big here.

1. Kong's story pulled all the emotions my viewing self could give.

2. Godzilla is nature in the MV. He just can't be beaten to death or into unconsciousness. Would the breath down his throat kill him? Probably. Would a fully healthy Godzilla avoid that (not win, but avoid THAT?) who knows. But one thing we've learned is that Godzilla just comes back. He fatiques but melee just doesn't put him down. Ghidorah is still the toughest opponent he's had, imo. But, you didn't fear for Godzilla. Because if Kong saw the light, nature wins and stays in balance. As long as nature is in balance, Godzilla remains king. And Mecha G can't do poop to him. That's why I never felt the significance of Mecha G beating up Godzilla because it really was "been there done that".

Monster action was 10/10. I loved the embrace into fantasy. It knew what it was. Embraced it.

Loved the movie over all. I'm a critic by nature. This movie was full of things to critique. I don't care. What it did right, it wanted to do right and it did it wonderfully
I actually agree that Godzilla never felt in true danger. As you’ve stated and I have also stated before, Godzilla is over the top durable against blunt force trauma. All of Kongs hits without the axe really did nothing to him in terms of true damage and MechaG’s hits just overwhelmed Godzilla but he was totally fine after the fight. I think if we get a Godzilla 3, he needs to be totally outclassed by the enemy throughout the film and actually put on deaths door by simply being beaten to near death. Even against Ghidorah, in their base state Godzilla wasn’t in danger of dying, they were just beating each other up. If it was say Destroyah, he’d need to be everything Godzilla is but boosted massively and Godzilla would need to come up with something special to win. I want to feel sad and horrified by seeing what happens to Godzilla, only to feel overwhelmed when Godzilla goes all Supergodzilla and wins in the end but done better than KOTM since he and Ghidorah just kept one upping each other. He needs to fight a true superior that beats him senseless, outdoes his beam (like MechaG but better) and literally slices him up (ala Destroyahs laser horn).

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Dv-218 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:38 pm
Yet you evidently care enough to say this in a thread about a Monsterverse film in the Monsterverse section of the forum. Quite interesting I'd say myself :)
Oh no, someone who disagrees! Get him!
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:58 pm
The way he went about it was very obviously an attempt at trolling.

He could've said that in any thread. He chose a KOTM one.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:58 pm
That's not even remotely what I implied or suggested lmao.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:19 pm The way he went about it was very obviously an attempt at trolling.

KOTM is a MonsterVerse film, so it's not like he's off-topic. All he said is that he doesn't care for the Monsterverse, which isn't even remotely offensive or troll-like.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

The Zilla in Manila
Samurai

Post by The Zilla in Manila »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:14 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:19 pm The way he went about it was very obviously an attempt at trolling.

KOTM is a MonsterVerse film, so it's not like he's off-topic. All he said is that he doesn't care for the Monsterverse, which isn't even remotely offensive or troll-like.
I don't think he was trolling but it is amusing when people try to act above it by saying they don't care about something yet can't help to comment when nobody is asking them.

No big deal either way.

Anyway to get back on topic, I find myself often revisiting the scenes when Godzilla shows up to fight Ghidorah with the Ikufube theme playing. It feels so epic. Really makes me wish it played in Godzilla vs Kong for that extra effect, but it's obviously my nostalgia for the theme talking.
Resized Image

"It's funny because I was sitting there with [President Barack] Obama and Leo's [DiCaprio] is talking about the environment and I'm talking about clothes. And everyone looks at me like that's not an important issue or something." - The Brain of Kanye

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Rick Stanton, I looked him up, he's the character that really brought down the movie for me.
I really liked the twist of the Mom character turning out bad, I though that was sick.

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Anguirus wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:11 pm Rick Stanton, I looked him up, he's the character that really brought down the movie for me.
I really liked the twist of the Mom character turning out bad, I though that was sick.
I agree, he should have stuck to battling Billy Maddison over business ethics.

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

Stanton’s reference to the, “Let them fight” line from G14 has me shaking my head every time. I like the idea of the callback, especially with Mark Russell’s follow-up line, but the execution was whack.

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Your Boy Leroy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:51 am Stanton’s reference to the, “Let them fight” line from G14 has me shaking my head every time. I like the idea of the callback, especially with Mark Russell’s follow-up line, but the execution was whack.
It really felt like what it was “everyone loves this line from the first movie, let’s can quote it,” but it’s stupid... when the fuck else would Serizawa have said it that his team knew of his using that line often? Ugh some really shi**y writing in this movie that gets more noticeable with time tbh.

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

No, you’re totally right. It’s ridiculous writing. I liked the idea of it more than the execution, but even the idea of the callback may have been much.

CosmicComet
Ronin

Post by CosmicComet »

Honestly I preferred this to GvK.

It felt way larger scale. Had way more monsters and way more fan appreciation with the classic themes.

It felt like a more triumphant movie by far.