gamera vs godzilla & 60th anniversity flim

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Mr. X
Keizer

Re: Gamera Vs. Godzilla Cancled?

Post by Mr. X »

Legion1979 wrote:Gamera vs Godzilla was NEVER planned at any time by anyone anywhere.
Fans? ...jk

Yeah, this isn't true. The idea, while popular among fans, was never officially considered.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I'm pretty sure kpa himself stated that Toho REFUSED the idea; something about Gamera not being a deserving enough monster, or being a ripoff, or something like that.
...And, to be fair, Gamera did start out that way.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

If I recall correctly, Kadokawa came to Toho with the idea of a Godzilla vs. Gamera film, but Toho denied it because Gamera was a ripoff and an inferior monster.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Megalon-5 wrote:If I recall correctly, Kadokawa came to Toho with the idea of a Godzilla vs. Gamera film, but Toho denied it because Gamera was a ripoff and an inferior monster.
Ouch, that's cold.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

knockinrockin
G-Grasper

Post by knockinrockin »

I imagine in the future, Toho just makes another Godzilla Monster mash, include Gamera in it, and Gamera doesn't even last a minute against Godzilla.... Oh boy, Kadokawa would be mad...
DeadpoolsbetterThanU wrote:
Orgasmatron wrote:we finally tried anal and she said she would have it again
Now you live up to that user name of yours!

Shadow wrote:
Chris55 wrote:5'1
640lbs

:lol: Wow, you should get outside sometime, that's if you get fit through the door.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
Megalon-5 wrote:If I recall correctly, Kadokawa came to Toho with the idea of a Godzilla vs. Gamera film, but Toho denied it because Gamera was a ripoff and an inferior monster.
Ouch, that's cold.
Yeah, the story that has been mentioned quite a few times is Daiei or Kadowaka approached Toho at least once with the idea and it was rejected.

Whether or not this means it was 'cancelled' depends on one's personal definition, but based on actual film lingo, it was never anything more than, "Hey, here's an idea."
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

I can honestly say I've never heard of this before... interesting.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

I thought it was proposed by former Heisei Gamera Director Shūsuke Kaneko before he did GMK?

Then after that had the idea to have Anguirus, Varan and Baragon defend Japan against Godzilla.
Reference: http://tohokingdom.com/cutting_room/god ... aragon.htm

Then they went with "bankable" monsters of both Mothra and King Ghidorah. Curiously, Baragon stayed in.
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."

Grignr
Yojimbo

Post by Grignr »

Just the fact that Toho slammed down the idea of a "Godzilla vs. Gamera" movies, proves that its executives and business people are tremendous douchebags.

So much so that they are like the Tokugawa Shogunate in terms of keeping Godzilla away from other hands(foreign or local).
"Teamwork is a pitiful illusion! The only one you can rely on in this vast galaxy is yourself!"

-Sailor Galaxia

Bentley
G-Force Personnel

Post by Bentley »

To be fair, Gamera just recently gained more status as a kaiju movie series, so if Toho shot the idea down before its not really that surprising. I mean, I love Gamera, but movies like Gamera vs Viras shouldn't make you co-star with Godzilla, if anything they could've done a truly childish film back in the day.

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

I think we'd have to ask Kamoebas how a battle between a lizard and turtle would work out....
Refer to: http://tohokingdom.com/kaiju/kamoebas_mill.htm

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Bentley wrote:To be fair, Gamera just recently gained more status as a kaiju movie series, so if Toho shot the idea down before its not really that surprising. I mean, I love Gamera, but movies like Gamera vs Viras shouldn't make you co-star with Godzilla, if anything they could've done a truly childish film back in the day.
Even though the 90s Gamera garnered critical acclaim, they were not the box office successes the 90s Godzillas had been. The Showa Gamera movies, despite being inferior movies, were actually a real threat to the Godzilla films of the period. I don't know the numbers, but those Gamera movies were profitable for Daiei and affected the way Toho produced and marketed its Godzilla films.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

Wait, if the Gamera Heisei films weren't box office successes, why did they make three and at the same time had the Rebirth of Mothra series of films?

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Crimson_Raptor wrote:I thought it was proposed by former Heisei Gamera Director Shūsuke Kaneko before he did GMK?

Then after that had the idea to have Anguirus, Varan and Baragon defend Japan against Godzilla.

Then they went with "bankable" monsters of both Mothra and King Ghidorah. Curiously, Baragon stayed in.
Actually Shūsuke Kaneko was going to direct the film.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Bentley
G-Force Personnel

Post by Bentley »

CTHimes wrote:
Bentley wrote:To be fair, Gamera just recently gained more status as a kaiju movie series, so if Toho shot the idea down before its not really that surprising. I mean, I love Gamera, but movies like Gamera vs Viras shouldn't make you co-star with Godzilla, if anything they could've done a truly childish film back in the day.
Even though the 90s Gamera garnered critical acclaim, they were not the box office successes the 90s Godzillas had been. The Showa Gamera movies, despite being inferior movies, were actually a real threat to the Godzilla films of the period. I don't know the numbers, but those Gamera movies were profitable for Daiei and affected the way Toho produced and marketed its Godzilla films.
Well then... Toho has no possible excuse.

Bentley
G-Force Personnel

Post by Bentley »

To save money? Maybe. But its likely than the movie would do more money than their average.

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

At the time it was proposed certainly. The problem is though, since Gamera is the friend to children, he'd have to win. However, Godzilla could awaken back at the bottom of the sea like he did in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

TyrantGojira wrote:A while back, i saw a thing on the web that said Gamera vs. Godzilla was to be planned, but was cancled because of the winner.

And the winner was....Gamera.

Toho thought that this loss could make the turtle a big sucsess in later films, while Godzilla would struggle in the box office. I think the better way to resolve the situation ws to have the battle end with both monsters dead in a draw.

What do you think?
Don't always believe what you read on the internet. That story is completely false.

A Godzilla and Gamera movie was never canceled because a Godzilla and Gamera movie was never planned.
Rody wrote:I'm pretty sure kpa himself stated that Toho REFUSED the idea; something about Gamera not being a deserving enough monster, or being a ripoff, or something like that.
...And, to be fair, Gamera did start out that way.
The Toho filmmakers were big King Kong fans, so when an opportunity to use Kong came along they jumped at the chance to pair Kong and Godzilla. But beyond that, Toho has never shown any interest in doing movies where Godzilla co-stars with monsters/characters from other studios... no Ultraman (and I mean a legit crossover, not Tsuburaya Pro using Toho suits and props in their shows), Gamera, Majin, Kamen Rider, Gappa, Guilala, etc.

Godzilla is a much better known and more profitable character than Gamera-- particularly internationally-- so, in their eyes, doing a Godzilla/Gamera movie would be Toho using their property to promote a rival studio's property. Toho doesn't want to do that.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

That's bad. I hope Toho changes his mind...One day.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Crimson_Raptor wrote: Then after that had the idea to have Anguirus, Varan and Baragon defend Japan against Godzilla.

What does GMK have to do with Godzilla X Gamera?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.