Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I really do enjoy this movie. It combines the zanyness of the 1970's movies, notably Godzilla successfully hitting Megaguirus with an Ultimate Warrior style body splash attack, with the realism of the Heisei movies. Adding the Meganulon in this movie and expanding on their lore, with Megaguirus being the apex of it was a very cleaver and neat idea. I wish more Godzilla movies would do stuff like that. The idea of the humans using a man-made black hole to trap Godzilla only for it to backfire and cause another problem is a really nice moral/lesson of how using technology that you barely know about can really hurt you. This really is a smarter movie then what many fans think.

What I also like in this movie is that Godzilla has to relay on his reflexes and cunning to defeat Megaguirus. You don't see that in many Godzilla movies. What makes this interesting is that Godzilla winds up beating Meg without any help at all. After all, humans don't do much to stop Queen Meg or the Meganula. Yeah, Toho should have CGI'd the strings out of the movie, but the actual movie is good enough for me to forgive that small issue.

The 2000's era was quite hit-and-miss, but this is defiantly one of the hits. And a really good one at that.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

So...

When this film is good...its damn good...
but when its bad...its so CRINGE!!!

There are some great scenes & moments...
but its all dragged down by some downright
dodgy effects & the most annoying character
in the entire franchise...

Creepy Creeper & Poon Hound Hajime Kudo...

I swear every time I see his face I just
want to punch him until he stops moving!

Tsujimori is a great lead...& I can see why
Kudo is interested...but she clearly knows
a sex offender when she see's one.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Megaguirus was the only real sex offender in this film.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Megaguirus was the only real sex offender in this film.
Godzilla really is a trooper, he took one for the team.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla took a real stinging, but kept on ticking.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Megaguirus was the only real sex offender in this film.
Dude took a ******* to the mouth :o
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Dude took a ******* to the mouth :o
Megaguirus is a whore.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

So...does anyone else here love the opening montage/altered history/action scene as much as I do?

Seriously...its SO good...well...it is to me.

:thumbsup:

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Grievous wrote:So...does anyone else here love the opening montage/altered history/action scene as much as I do?

Here. :g2k:
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Grievous wrote:So...does anyone else here love the opening montage/altered history/action scene as much as I do?

Yeah, I generally stand by that sequence. Particularly the shots from the alley towards Godzilla, which give a nice sense of scale.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

It's a cool sequence. The trash cans in the alley always take me out of it, though. Not really sure how they could have done it better, but there is something about how they move or sound or look that really looks cheap to me.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

SonOfGorgo wrote:Here. :g2k:
eabaker wrote:Yeah, I generally stand by that sequence. Particularly the shots from the alley towards Godzilla, which give a nice sense of scale.
Oh Good...its not just me then.
Maritonic wrote:It's a cool sequence. The trash cans in the alley always take me out of it, though. Not really sure how they could have done it better, but there is something about how they move or sound or look that really looks cheap to me.
Yeah...I agree with you on that.

That's part of the biggest problem with vs. Megaguirus...
the effects are so uneven in places...and yet in some
shots & scenes look fantastic.

Perhaps a slightly larger budget with a little more time
would have helped "iron out" those issues.

I guess for me personally its a "50/50" Godzilla film...
50% of it I love...but the other 50% makes me cringe.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

It's a bottom 5 for me, but to each his own.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:It's a bottom 5 for me, but to each his own.
And honestly...I can understand why.

Its not one of my favorites...but for
some reason I have watched it many,
many times.

*Thinks*

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Maritonic wrote:It's a cool sequence. The trash cans in the alley always take me out of it, though. Not really sure how they could have done it better, but there is something about how they move or sound or look that really looks cheap to me.
For me it's definitely how they sound.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kenji Suzuki’s special effects in his two Godzilla films are ambitious but not very good. At least in G2K he had the luxury of hiding some bad mattes and CGI characters in dark nighttime sequences.

I agree that the trash cans in the alley shot is bad but I appreciate the intent. Also poorly executed is Godzilla moving his head side to side in the alley trying to track to soldiers below. The Godzilla suit wasn’t built for that kind of movement but nevertheless Suzuki has Kitagawa do it and it looks awful. Even worse is Suzuki having Godzilla snap his head around to glare at Kiriko. The idea isn’t necessarily bad but again, it’s obvious the Godzilla suit wasn’t supposed to be able to move that way.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Terasawa wrote:Kenji Suzuki’s special effects in his two Godzilla films are ambitious but not very good. At least in G2K he had the luxury of hiding some bad mattes and CGI characters in dark nighttime sequences.

I agree that the trash cans in the alley shot is bad but I appreciate the intent. Also poorly executed is Godzilla moving his head side to side in the alley trying to track to soldiers below. The Godzilla suit wasn’t built for that kind of movement but nevertheless Suzuki has Kitagawa do it and it looks awful. Even worse is Suzuki having Godzilla snap his head around to glare at Kiriko. The idea isn’t necessarily bad but again, it’s obvious the Godzilla suit wasn’t supposed to be able to move that way.
This is all extremely on point. The intent is cool, but the execution is where it falls short.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Megaguiris is mad underrated!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Major sssspielberg! wrote:Megaguiris is mad underrated!
Yeah, barring Mothra, easily the coolest insect Kaiju.
I also liked how they brought back the Meganulon. I wish they did something similar with Matango.

One thing that always bothered me though is how Megaguirus only has one big scene on screen, and then the final fight. I get that the Meganulon turn into Megaguirus, but I wish the creature had more screentime independent of Godzilla in order to develop more. Also it sortve bothers me how Megaguirus just leaves, only to randomly come back when Godzilla shows up. I guess the easy implication is that Megaguirus sensed the energy in Godzilla?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Major sssspielberg! wrote:Megaguiris is mad underrated!
Yeah, barring Mothra, easily the coolest insect Kaiju.
I also liked how they brought back the Meganulon. I wish they did something similar with Matango.

One thing that always bothered me though is how Megaguirus only has one big scene on screen, and then the final fight. I get that the Meganulon turn into Megaguirus, but I wish the creature had more screentime independent of Godzilla in order to develop more. Also it sortve bothers me how Megaguirus just leaves, only to randomly come back when Godzilla shows up. I guess the easy implication is that Megaguirus sensed the energy in Godzilla?
Essentially, Megaguirus is the b-plot of the movie. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus is one of the few Godzilla movies that's really driven by the actions/choices of its human protagonists (Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Gigan and Godzilla vs. Biollante also leap to mind). When the humans are really the ones instigating the plot, sometimes the enemy monsters get reduced to plot complications is more of a Godzilla vs. people story. Megaguirus just didn't make its monster central enough to the action, so she got short-changed.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.