Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Post by Spuro »

ApexOversteer wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:People don’t talk about this much, and I understand it’s more of a one line jab at it, but it’s strange conceptualizing that GMK takes place in the same universe as Godzilla 1998.
And Final Wars... apparently...
When did Final Wars hint at being connected to GMK?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

He's talking about GFW being connected to the 1998 film.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
ApexOversteer wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:People don’t talk about this much, and I understand it’s more of a one line jab at it, but it’s strange conceptualizing that GMK takes place in the same universe as Godzilla 1998.
And Final Wars... apparently...
When did Final Wars hint at being connected to GMK?
GMK connected to '98 by the mention of the Zilla attack... Zilla appears in Final Wars... therefore... it's a CINEMATIC UUUUUNIVERSE! :mrgreen:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

What if GMK was an isolated event, and all along it was part of the Final Wars universe
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ And what if the old ghost guy was really Hedorah in a suit he found at Party City, trying to off the Guardian Monsters so he could pollute Japan in peace?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

JAGzilla wrote:^ And what if the old ghost guy was really Hedorah in a suit he found at Party City, trying to off the Guardian Monsters so he could pollute Japan in peace?
I think this demands a Party City-centric prequel, immediately.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jokes aside, I’m sure that GMK doesn’t share continuity with anything other then 1954, and MAYBE 1998, or at least a modified version of it. Based on dialogue we know that something attacks America, and was thought to be Godzilla, but wasn’t. It’s a throway jab, bu still funny to think about it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Jokes aside, I’m sure that GMK doesn’t share continuity with anything other then 1954, and MAYBE 1998, or at least a modified version of it. Based on dialogue we know that something attacks America, and was thought to be Godzilla, but wasn’t. It’s a throway jab, bu still funny to think about it.
I mean, if we want to be anal about it (and we're fanboys, so of course we do), there's no way it could share continuity with both the original film and the '98 film, since the two don't share continuity with each other.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Personally I think both options are ok. If someone likes to think the 98 film exists in GMK no problem, if they don't why worry about it? At the end of the day it is a fun little inside joke.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Jokes aside, I’m sure that GMK doesn’t share continuity with anything other then 1954, and MAYBE 1998, or at least a modified version of it. Based on dialogue we know that something attacks America, and was thought to be Godzilla, but wasn’t. It’s a throway jab, bu still funny to think about it.
I mean, if we want to be anal about it (and we're fanboys, so of course we do), there's no way it could share continuity with both the original film and the '98 film, since the two don't share continuity with each other.
I meant that there’s some further fictionalized hybrid of 1998, which is a “modified version”.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
eabaker wrote:
I meant that there’s some further fictionalized hybrid of 1998, which is a “modified version”.
Yeah, I get that. I was just agreeing with you that at most some modified version of those events occurred in GMK's history.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

Toho is no stranger to retroactively inserting films into the continuity of a newer film, or even having films take place in multiple continuities. For example, Mothra exists simultaneously in the continuity of the Showa Godzilla series and the Kiryu Saga, both of them retroactively since the filmmakers in all likelihood were not concerned with the film fitting into the continuity of another one. (I think Japanese Wikipedia says that the original script for Mothra contained an allusion to Godzilla, but I don't know how true that is.)

It's much the same thing with how G98 is handled in the context of GMK. The 1998 film was created as a standalone film with no continuity with other movies, but for GMK Toho just disregarded that and placed it into the continuity of that film, by extension placing it after the 1954 original. The book Godzilla Dictionary, re-published as recently as 2014, lays out an extensive timeline for the series and says that the 1998 film is in continuity with GMK, and the "monster similar to Godzilla" is in fact the monster from that movie. I think it's feasible in the universe GMK establishes. Few eyewitnesses or physical evidence of Godzilla's original attack remain, and many details were covered up by the government. Godzilla hasn't been seen since then, and humans with their tendency to deny tragedies end up writing Godzilla off as a legend. Thus, I could see a giant monster that suddenly appears in the U.S. to get identified as "Godzilla" with a majority of the public not having any recollection of the monster existing. GMK shows us this as well. When Baragon appears he is mistakenly called "Godzilla," and characters are shown to regard Godzilla as a myth and joke about his attack as if it never happened. I think it fits Toho's track record for a slightly modified version of the 1998 film to exist in a continuity with G54 and GMK, while simultaneously occupying its original intended continuity where it is standalone and shares no ties to the other movies, much like how the 1954 movie simultaneously exists in countless different continuities, sometimes in modified form.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Shobijin
Yojimbo

Post by Shobijin »

Thank you for that.

I agree it was Zilla in NY mentioned in GMK.

____

Regarding GMK itself, I found myself losing interest in this film. I think Toyko SOS did everything better.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Shobijin wrote:

Regarding GMK itself, I found myself losing interest in this film. I think Toyko SOS did everything better.
Did better in the mystical aspect or what exactly?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Post by Freebleeper »

Seriously I don't think Zilla 1998 is in the SAME universe as this film was set in as well as Final Wars as I feel it was meant as a joke or jab from Toho at that film for being a big disappointment and being nothing like the actual character with the characters in this film saying "the Americans though it was Godzilla, but it's doubtful" and the Xillain pointing out after Zilla was defeated by Godzilla by saying "I knew that tuna eating monster was useless... next!" see it's more than a parody than being actually taken seriously.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

They specifically say "the Americans thought it was Godzilla" about a monster attacking New York, though, so if it isn't the events of Godzilla 1998, it's something damn similar.

RIP Evan.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

Like I mentioned earlier, as recently as 2014 the book Godzilla Dictionary [New Edition] has said that G98 does happen in the GMK timeline, and the "giant creature similar to Godzilla" is meant to be the TriStar Godzilla. G98 absolutely was originally intended to have no connection to any prior film in the series, but Toho has retconned many films in the past into existing in the same continuity as others. Just look at all the films which take place in the Kiryu Saga, obviously none of them were made with the intention of sharing continuity with a film made later. It's the same case here. G98 also is a case like G54 and Mothra in that it exists in multiple continuities. It exists in its own standalone continuity with no other films, and also exists in altered form in the GMK timeline with G54.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

King of the Monsters wrote:Like I mentioned earlier, as recently as 2014 the book Godzilla Dictionary [New Edition] has said that G98 does happen in the GMK timeline, and the "giant creature similar to Godzilla" is meant to be the TriStar Godzilla. G98 absolutely was originally intended to have no connection to any prior film in the series, but Toho has retconned many films in the past into existing in the same continuity as others. Just look at all the films which take place in the Kiryu Saga, obviously none of them were made with the intention of sharing continuity with a film made later. It's the same case here. G98 also is a case like G54 and Mothra in that it exists in multiple continuities. It exists in its own standalone continuity with no other films, and also exists in altered form in the GMK timeline with G54.
"In altered form," though, would mean that it's not actually the movie as it was made that exists in GMK's backstory.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I dunno, GMK's premise is that the events of G54 have been forgotten to the point that some of the younger generation consider Godzilla an urban legend, if that were literally the case than it's possible the Tristar film played out identically in GMK's timeline. People in Japan aren't certain if Godzilla ever existed and people in America have almost never heard of him; thus the American characters' reactions to encountering Zilla.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Whatever the official stance I think it's also perfectly OK to take the '98 reference as nothing more than a joke for us hardcore Godzilla fans and then let the GMK story unfold.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.