Talkback: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

GXMG is...

Great
31%
Good
41%
Okay
18%
Poor
8%
Awful
1%

Total votes: 274

shadowgigan
Interpol Agent

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

Post by shadowgigan »

Godzillian wrote:Was there ever an official reason given why we got new characters rather than the cast of this movie?
Someone at G-Fest around 10-15 years ago told me Akane's actress was very popular in Japan and could only sign on for one film. For whatever reason I just took it as truth.
Actual signature from TK/Gojistomp, Circa 2005

eabaker

Post by eabaker »

It seemed like during the Millennium era a big part of each movie's publicity centered around making a big to-do about the latest young starlet they'd cast. Keeping Yumiko Shaku in the lead would have meant no chance to publicize casting Miho Yoshioka.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Terasawa »

Shaku might have been too busy on the Sky High series and movie to participate in Tokyo SOS in more than a cameo.
Resized Image

VoyagerGoji
EDF Instructor

Post by VoyagerGoji »

I have a lot of nostalgia for this film and that is a factor in why I like it so much.
Rule, Gojira! Gojira Rule the Waves! Kaiju’s never never never shall be slaves!

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

What is the whole logic behind renaming Mechagodzilla?
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Terasawa »

I really like Shin Takuma in this movie, except when he's "flirting" with Akane (way too broad). Except in those moments he has good chemistry with Yumiko Shaku and Kana Onodera (Sara).

Like most Wataru Mimura scripts, there are some really good ideas that don't pan out. I'm all for some ambiguity, to force the audience to think, but I can't help but think it was a mistake to leave Godzilla's motivation mostly unvoiced. Sure, we find out why Godzilla's been attacking in the next film, but when GxMG was produced and released in 2002, there wasn't any plan for a sequel. In other words, if there was an explanation for Godzilla's appearances in 2002, it was left out of this movie. I can think of no good reason for that.

With Godzilla vs Megaguirus (GxM), Tezuka was only interested in entertaining the audience: there, the drama plays second (or third...) fiddle to everything else. I think with this movie, however, he wanted to elevate the drama to the forefront. But IMO the dramatic elements are ill-conceived. Akane allows her demotion over no mistake of her own, instead taking all the blame for the death of the troops in the jeep. Hayama continues to be a prick just because he blames her for the death of his brother and their C.O. doesn't do anything substantial to stop it. Hayama's only in the movie to give Akane a (lousy) reason to question her purpose, but this thread is contrived and trite.

One thing that stuck out to me watching this last night was Akane's apathy for her life: she tells Sara that she's wished she hadn't been born and that she lives a useless life, but this doesn't really go anywhere. I realized, however, that they needed to have Akane pilot Kiryu from the inside throughout the movie, so that she'd be onboard --helpless-- while Kiryu goes on its rampage. This could have amplified her self doubts more than the hackneyed Hayama stuff and potentially given her a opportunity to voice her feelings of uselessness in a more compelling way. If she believes she's useless then what better way to express it than allow herself to be endangered by the JSDF's actions to stop Kiryu?

There's also quite a bit of groan-worthy faux heartfelt moments: Sara's relationship with her plant is the most pervasive, but we also have the Kiryu Group member throwing his hat to Akane ("You're one of the team!"), Sara extending her hand to Akane prior to the final battle, etc. These moments should have come off as appropriately sentimental but Mimura's script and Tezuka's direction renders them simply mawkish. Nearly every emotional moment in this movie feels way too artificial.

I have a lot more thoughts but I don't wanna drone on longer than I have, so I'll be brief. There are at least three sequences copied from GMK, and all pale in comparison. Yuichi Kikuchi's special effects are conceptually interesting and occasionally dynamic but often executed poorly. No wonder he wasn't brought back. On the other hand, Michiru Oshima's score is awesome, and towards the end of the movie I realized I had been humming along to most of it.
Resized Image

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:06 am What is the whole logic behind renaming Mechagodzilla?
I can only speculate, but its probably one or more of the following reasons.

1) To differentiate it from other versions of Mechagodzilla.

2) To establish this version of Mechagodzilla as a character. Previous versions were pure lifeless robots. The 70s one was basically a remote controlled war weapon and the 93 one was basically a fancy war vehicle. By naming this version, it feeds into the idea that this version of Mechagodzilla is actually a living thing.

3) A branding idea to sell more toys and merchandise. If you call it something different or give it some differing quality from previous releases, it gives collectors and kids more reason to get the merch.

4) Building off of 3, it was probably conceived as a way for Toho to get an additional trademark on the character that they could use.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

^Building off on #1, why not give this new Godzilla a different name as well?
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

CrimsonBloodX
Monarch Researcher

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:41 am ^Building off on #1, why not give this new Godzilla a different name as well?
Because he's GODZILLA!
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft