Talkback: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

GXMG is...

Great
31%
Good
42%
Okay
18%
Poor
7%
Awful
2%

Total votes: 302

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

Post by Goji »

The subtitle scripts that Sony uses on their release are provided by Toho themselves. As for the dubs, every Godzilla film since 1971 has been dubbed in Hong Kong. GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER (Titra Sound), GODZILLA 1985 (Ryder Sound) and GODZILLA 2000 (can't remember who dubbed it..) are the only Godzilla films since then that have had additional dubs recorded in America. The dubs done in the 60's for EBIRAH, SON OF GODZILLA, and DESTROY ALL MONSTERS were dubbed in Japan by Frontier Enterprises.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I'm not sure they make their own subs. The Int'l dubs are done by a third party in Hong Kong. I'm not sure Toho creates any form of translations on their own.
A company like Toho or Sony would not use fan subs; they either handle the translations themselves or hire companies that dub and subtitle films to do the job. Toho's been doing their own subtitles on the Godzilla movies going back to the original GODZILLA, and all of the Millennium films were shown with English subtitles before they opened in Japanese theaters. G2000-TOKYO SOS debuted at the annual Tokyo International Film Festivals, and FINAL WARS had its world premiere at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I see. My mistake.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Bump

If you want my opinion of this movie, read my review: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=6523

Brian4205
Monsterland Worker

Post by Brian4205 »

I dont hate the Godzilla design in this movie, but his face just makes me want to punch the closest thing near me. It just looks --------, not as bad as the Son of Godzilla suit but still. Other then that I like this movie, it has some pacing issues, but the story is about Akane becoming more of a person, instead of a lonely husk, not Godzilla, so all in all it's a good flick.

Berzerkgodzilla
G-Grasper

Post by Berzerkgodzilla »

I really like this one, but it wasn't the greatest. I do like when Kiryu flying to the city though, one of my favorite scenes

SimeonAssassin
GPN Volunteer

Post by SimeonAssassin »

Bumping the thread because I just rewatched GXM, and I admit, I didn't read the entire 8 pages of comments here with a microscope, just found the relavent thread.

I enjoy the fact that the 3 MechaGodzilla's are different. For Kiryu, he played a new hero role for the franchise, one that could match-up against Godzilla. I liked the design, I liked the twist of having him retain the memories of his former life.

the scene of their first encounter, when Godzilla leaves, I admit is very un-Godzilla like, but it was necessary for what the writers needed to move onto Kiryu going beserk. Keeping Godzilla there would have made the scene too messy.

I like the body of Godzilla, it's a good look. But I'm not so happy about the neck, and especially the head. Though I always like seeing the ears, I think the design of the head could have been done better.

One thing I won't let slide for this movie or the sequel, is Godzilla's lax fighting, Kiryu just pummels him. The fight scenes could have been much better if they had let Godzilla fight with more intelligence. Kiryu was being directed by humans, the feild should have been leveled in that regard.

I like the main heroine, they did a good job creating a human cast for this particular continuim. Though I found the age difference between her and the main guy, a bit questionable for a romantic angle. I would have invested her with the antagonistic pilot.

They returned Godzilla's beam to the bluesh/white it should be, and also the charcoal/grey of his dorsal spines for a proper look.

As I said above, I like Kiryu, and I think he's got the potential for a spin-off series. I'd like to see the Nebulans make a return and send the Gigan to face Metal dragon. If they gave Mothra a new run of movies on her own, I think they could do the same for Kiryu, they just have to have him in control of himself. I think having human pilots control him slows him down too much.

While there was plenty more that could have been done with the movie, I am ever-thankful for the scene in the beginning when Godzilla is roaring and being struck by lightning, very epic.

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

Godzilla against MechaGodzilla will always be a favorite of mine.

I enjoyed the character interactions throughout the film, and Godzilla and Kiryu were well executed. The fact that this film sets itself within the continuities of other non-Godzilla related Showa films such as Mothra, War of the Gargantuas, and Space Ameoba really was a throw to the fans. I admit, I got giddy when I saw the references to Mothra and WotG.

I actually like Godzilla's design in this film. I was never too fond of the design from G2K & GxM, but GxMG and Tokyo SOS made the style more likable for me. The return to the charcoal gray skin color, light gray/whitish dorsal plates, and light blue atomic ray. It just screams the perfect Godzilla for the Millennium series while maintaining the traditional design. I remember seeing Kiryu's design as a child when searching online for information on the movie. I fell in love with it. Kiryu's design embodies elements of the Heisei and Showa MechaGodzilla. It's definitely my favorite of the MG's. Plus it has one of the more unique character developments that I've seen throughout the Godzilla series. Kiryu is not a mere machine, but it's somehow alive and aware.

GxMG may not be the greatest of the Millennium Series, but it's good nonetheless. If I had any say, I would've preferred that GxMG and Tokyo SOS be one film. It's kind of odd that the Shobojin in Tokyo SOS are a year late in warning the government about the use of MG. If they were merged into one film it would make plenty of more sense. But still, that's just my opinion. Overall, I love Godzilla against MechaGodzilla (and Tokyo SOS). My only complaint is that there was clearly going to be a third film in the "Kiryu Saga" and I'm just upset that we got GFW rather than rounding out the potential Kiryu Trilogy.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

ZillaMaster91 wrote:
The fact that this film sets itself within the continuities of other non-Godzilla related Showa films such as Mothra, War of the Gargantuas, and Space Ameoba really was a throw to the fans. I admit, I got giddy when I saw the references to Mothra and WotG.
Only the monsters are part of the continuity, not the films they appeared in, but it's still awesome nonetheless.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

ghidorasauras
Interpol Agent

Post by ghidorasauras »

Kiryu means metal dragon in japenese
Svitska Donkun wrote:Godzilla vs. Robot was best one. It was my favorite of movies. Especially part where Godzilla becomes magnet. I wish I could be magnet, but for people. Maybe then Mama will love me despite me not coming from her womb.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla is my second-favorite film in the series. The special effects were pretty spectacular and convincing. The human plot, while a bit cliched, was interesting and made the movie engaging. It's far from perfect, but I think it really excels where most Godzilla films fall flat. I know this might be considered a heresy among the fanbase here, but I think it's the best in the Millennium series, even better than GMK.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Well, I find GxMG to be pretty entertaining, but I wouldn't say that it's critically superior to GMK.

BigBaragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by BigBaragon »

Wasnt aware that there was a Mecha G film after the 90s ones, neat. I saw Mecha G in a 90s film or two, and wasnt impressed at ALL with his look; it struck me as too sleek, bloated, and Michelin Man-like.

I need more JAGGED edges on my Mecha G, and much more ferocity. Does the 'modern' version use that puffy 90s suit?

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

That's the more recent Mechagodzilla. I think this was a nice update of the character and it really calls to mind the original version, while also being it's own thing. It's also a shit ton better than "Mechaduckzilla".

As for the movie? It's alright. Not my favorite Godzilla flick, but I did enjoy it. I found the nods towards the other Toho scifi films nice. Overall, I think it's average at best. It doesn't really stick out in the mind, but it's far better than most of the Millennium flicks (aside from GMK imo).

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Megalon-5 beat me to the punch, but I'll post these anyway.

The 2002/2003 suit is far superior to the Heisei suit.

BigBaragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by BigBaragon »

Megalon-5 wrote:Image

That's the more recent Mechagodzilla. I think this was a nice update of the character and it really calls to mind the original version, while also being it's own thing. It's also a shit ton better than "Mechaduckzilla".

As for the movie? It's alright. Not my favorite Godzilla flick, but I did enjoy it. I found the nods towards the other Toho scifi films nice. Overall, I think it's average at best. It doesn't really stick out in the mind, but it's far better than most of the Millennium flicks (aside from GMK imo).
Heyyyyy...now thats not BAD! 8-) MUCH improvement over the bloated 90s version. He is a great homage to the 70s suit. Needs a few more ROUGH edges for my tastes, but he looks tough as a bastard!
Also LOVED when Gigan 'updated' in FW - DUAL chainsaws!!

I will be watching this modern Mecha-G flick very shortly...just grabbed a half dozen dvds recently... :g2k:

Rody, I think that he looks bad as a bat-out-of-hell, but SUPERIOR to the 70s suit? ...Not a chance, my friend! ;) I suppose, though, that its a matter of age/view....I was VERY hooked on the ORIGINAL Mecha-G as a kid, so naturally he is the version in my heart and mind. When I saw him being 'revealed' for the first time, the outer skin chipping-away and the music piquing.....gave me CHILLS in that theatre! 8-)

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Kiryu superior to the original Mechagodzilla? Nah, I still think the 70's Mechagodzilla has to be the best incarnation of the character. He might be a robot, but his face just reflects pure evil. Combine that with his dark theme from Terror of Mechagodzilla and you get one of the best Godzilla villains of all time.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I said Heisei, not Showa. You mentioned the Heisei MG, BigBaragon, so I was responding to that.

I'm tied between Showa MG & Kiryu, personally. Showa has nostalgia points, of course, not to mention being the original. However, Kiryu actually looks like a mechanical version of Godzilla, more so than any other.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

One of the things I really like about Kiryu is the fact that he's got all these mechanical doodads on him. I really like his nifty knee-pad things. He's a nice contrast to the retro styled 70's Mechagodzilla.
Last edited by Megalon-5 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigBaragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by BigBaragon »

Rody wrote:I said Heisei, not Showa. You mentioned the Heisei MG, BigBaragon, so I was responding to that.

I'm tied between Showa MG & Kiryu, personally. Showa has nostalgia points, of course, not to mention being the original. However, Kiryu actually looks like a mechanical version of Godzilla, more so than any other.

AH! - My bad! I get the 'eras' mixed-up at times, I only know them as 'old', 'new', and 'modern'. :oops: Thanks for clearing that up. Showa = my youth/Heisei = 90s.

Yes, this 'modern' Mecha-G is FAR cooler than the puffy 90s version, agreed. I also think that he does look more like an 'actual' mechano-Goji, but the 70s version will always be the cupcake, for me.