GMK sequel

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Re: GMK sequel

Post by Terrier »

bananaoil wrote:The only reason I would have to support a sequel would be if the film begins with the last five minutes of GMK, followed by a flash of white light taking us to an office in which a comic book artist is trying to sell his story involving Spiritualzilla and the Guardian Monsters only for it to be shot down. He then meets with his karate girlfriend who insists he try to sell his idea to the Chairman of the new World Children's Land being constructed next door. . .
So that movie doens't just take place before Destroy All Monsters, but also after GMK? Wonder why they didn't use stock footage from the later....

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

We don't really need a sequel. I would like Kaneko to direct another movie though.

Lionblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Lionblaze »

Living Corpse wrote:I'd rather see a new idea being tried out in a G film with maybe one of the better directors of some of the Ultraman shows in charge.
This :D
I agree with you Living Corpse, Im sure they would do a perfect job!
Shadow Area Record
Wins: 17. Losses: 14.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Goji wrote:Wow..another new member making an ass out of themselves. This is becoming a trend around here.
But it's so much fun to watch.
Proud father, husband, and son.

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

It will probably be in 2048, to keep with the 47 years pattern; maybe Godzilla will be possesed by the Guardian Monsters because their heroic sacrifices were forgotten by the people of Japan.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

lets all hope Future Godzilla never becomes a toho director.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

If I sequel had to be made, I would choose this:

1. Kyotaka Taguchi directs
2. Kazunori Ito writes
3. Shinji Higuchi does the SFX with his crew being a mix of his and the people who do the Ultra Galaxy films
4. Shusuke Kaneko as a producer
5. Keep spiritual angle, but add another metaphor for Godzilla to inhabit, and maybe have that metaphor work in with the enemy kaiju and the possibility of making the enemy kaiju more powerful than GMK Goji.

Other than that, GMK doesn't need a sequel. Just needs to be remembered.

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

Last I checked this topic was not about a specific sequel. And in that case, it makes little sense for Honda to have made Terror of Mechagodzilla. Any case, Taguchi has had experiance with all the people I have mentioned. He would do good IMO.

Well, it will not be remembered as well as a good third of the others I am afraid. Fade out. The least I think about this film is being the best since the early 1960's films. Most say best since 1970's. So, yeah, maybe in the years to come once we start getting new films (if that is the case), GMK may loose a good bit of it's significance.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

alienhulk2099 wrote:5. Good lighting, video quality, pacing, camera settings, audio settings, etc.
I lol'd. Just goes to show you that some people just have no effing clue what they're talking about.
bleep bloop

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

The movie was very talky in the first half, yeah. But once Mothra started fighting Godzilla it seemed to lose a lot of that.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Darth Calypso
Gotengo Officer

Post by Darth Calypso »

maybe it could have anguirus and varan in it like the original plot, and maybe have gorosaurus, rodan, or king caesar as the 3rd monster in it, or just have gamera in it because both GMK and the Gamera trilogy were made by the same director, the title could be Godzilla vs. Gamera: The Final Guardian. The way that I would put the 2 movies together is that since GMK ended with Godzilla's heart beating, the Gamera trilogy starts while Godzilla is slowly regenerating his body until after Gamera defeated Iris Godzilla's body is fully restored. Of course Gyaos would have something to do with the movie though.
Think With Your Dipstick Jimmy
My edited images, drawings, music, and SFX

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

^ Heh, funny you mention that, somebody did a game sequel on the main site based on the original idea.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I don't think I would a direct sequel, but I do think it'd be fun to see another film with Godzilla battling some "guardian monsters" that are defending Earth. My only qualm with GMK, though it seems huge it isn't since it's subjective, is that I disliked the monsters they chose. Baragon never appealed to me, and King Ghidorah as the good guy? Just ... no. Mothra made obvious sense though.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

I wish GAV had been made instead. That would have been my favorite Godzilla film hands down had it gone through.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Living Corpse wrote:^ Nah, just add Gorosarus and then it would be your favorite. :P
Very true. I was trying to be realistic though.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

If Gamera were to be in it, I think he should have a new origin, rather than try to put together two separate continuities. Though were they to do it that way, it could easily be dismissed as having been covered in Commander Tachibana's mention of other monsters in GMK.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

DrKaiju1954
G-Grasper

Post by DrKaiju1954 »

GMK wasnt perfect but it was undoubtly the best of the Millenium series and one of the best in the entire series.It ended on a cliffhanger and I am fine with getting a sequel just as much as not getting one
"You're trespassing in my reality. Ask permission next time."

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

cloverfan98 wrote:While the door is left wide open for a sequel, I like this film as a one off film. I really can't think of a way to do a sequel to GMK unless you were to do Godzilla vs Gamera.
i like it as a one off, and it seems to be a very good nod to the Showa era in some areas,
i wouldn't mind seeing the suit used in GMK again though, or a variation of it, guess that would only make sense in a sequel.
You have your fear which might become reality. And you have Godzilla, which *is* reality.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

i wouldn't mind seeing the suit used in GMK again though, or a variation of it, guess that would only make sense in a sequel.
Toho wanted to use the GMK suit for the Kiryu films, but the GMK suits were made much larger then normal. They didn't have the budget to build a Kiryu suit of comparable size (or the Kiryu suit was already built or something).
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Yep. It was on the old Gojistomp "Suit" section and I think I've seen kpa mention it at Kaijuphile before way back when (But don't quote me on that).

Personally, the GMK look with the Kiryu-Goji personality would've been perfect.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury