Who should have been the Guardian Monsters?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Who should have been the Guardian Monsters?

Baragon
23%
Mothra
8%
King Ghidorah
3%
Anguirus
18%
Manda
9%
Rodan
3%
Varan
27%
King Caesar
8%
Gorosaurus
2%

Total votes: 172

BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Who should have been the Guardian Monsters?

Post by BlankAccount »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Varan for the sky.

Baragon for the earth.

Manda for the water.
Plus, Rodan for the fire.
Godzilla is fire.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Living Corpse wrote:
SonOfGorgo wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Varan for the sky.

Baragon for the earth.

Manda for the water.
Plus, Rodan for the fire.
Godzilla is fire.
And everything changed when he attacked.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I have nothing witty.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

The main choice for me is to let the film maker use the ones he wanted too. They are all underdogs to the more powerful Godzilla, so teaming up is the only chance they really had. In what we got it was just keep powering up Ghidorah. It is nice that the poll reflects that most people would like to have seen Kaneko's vision.

Now if the three Kaneko wanted were off the table, then I would choose Rodan, Manda, and King Caesar, Again all underdogs to Godzilla, but two were already avatars/guardians/gods of ancient people. Plus they fit Sky, Water, and Earth nicely.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I honestly don't get how Manda and King Caesar are popular choices. Yeah they have mystical origins but there's no rhyme or reason for them design wise. I can buy Mothra and King Ghidorah in terms of iconography, and Anguirus and Varan with their unified body-plans, but those two?

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

What is wrong with them design wise? Manda is a classic asian dragon design, I would have him in the lake. If they wanted they could have made King Caesar more closely match his original statue, have him replace Baragon. Lastly Rodan could be the last released from the ice. Have them all a bit smaller then the massive Godzilla.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Okay, so seeing that a lot of people regret not choosing Manda, i slightly updated the poll so people can re-vote for him and/or anyone else they didn't notice. ;)

As for my revision, i'm keeping my vote for Manda as the sea guardian, but honestly, i think either Varan and Rodan could work for air. Anguirus, Baragon, King Caesar and maybe even Gorosaurus could work for land (hence why i didn't remove him even though he's the least likely to get any more votes).

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Meanwhile poor Titanosaurus goes basically unnoticed, as always...

As I think someone else mentioned already, the Guardian Monsters in GMK are creatures that were forced to be guardians, which is why the election of Baragon and even King Ghidorah makes somewhat sense (but not Mothra)

That can also be seen in the original lineup.

So arguing for bonefide guardian monsters like Manda, King Sisha or Mothra goes against the point Kaneko made
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

In my fan fiction (which I'll admittedly probably never write) Mothra, Manda, and Seeser are my elemental dieties. They make the most sense and are already portrayed as protector dieties when initially produced. I think it's an important element of Manda's that's been completely ignored outside the Showa films.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

onerichman
Monsterland Worker

Post by onerichman »

Anguirus, Varan and Baragon

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Zilla, Jira, and Godzilla 1998.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:In my fan fiction (which I'll admittedly probably never write) Mothra, Manda, and Seeser are my elemental dieties. They make the most sense and are already portrayed as protector dieties when initially produced. I think it's an important element of Manda's that's been completely ignored outside Atragon.
Fixed it for ya.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

If I could choose anyone I think Varan, King Caesar and Rodan would be a good combination.
Resized Image

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

I like the original lineup most, that is the one they planned on using before Toho made them change it. Would've been nice to see Varan and Anguirus in that movie over King Ghidorah and Mothra. Manda and King Caesar would be good picks as well, I'll admit having them over Varan and Anguirus would make the three guardians more diverse as opposed to having a trio of dinosaur like monsters.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

ACHINKONGGOJI
Yojimbo
Location: In a different universe in a universe in a universe

Post by ACHINKONGGOJI »

For me:

Manda = Water
Anguirus = Land
Varen = Sky
I am a Kaiju Fan Boy/Artist and I do Cross Country and Track. Go Knights!!!
:monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :g2k: :baragon: :destoroyah: :basan: :bagan: :muto:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Manda=Water
Megalon= Earth
Mothra= Sky

Baragon=Guard Dog
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Kaneko's original vision I think fit perfectly. Plus the three crawlers just look good together.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Thinking about it some more, it would have been cool if they used monsters that were worshiped as gods in previous incarnations.

This would leave Mothra, King Ceasar, Manda, and Varan to work with. Kong too, but he wouldn't have been available. Am I missing anyone else.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GojiDog wrote:Thinking about it some more, it would have been cool if they used monsters that were worshiped as gods in previous incarnations.

This would leave Mothra, King Ceasar, Manda, and Varan to work with. Kong too, but he wouldn't have been available. Am I missing anyone else.
Megalon.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

kiryu86
Samurai

Post by kiryu86 »

Honestly? I think the set we have is fine. Baragon fits as earth, Ghidorah is already in Japanese mythology as the orochi, so he fit well into the film. Mothra is the odd one out but her larval form is shown in other films to be an accomplished swimmer. Maybe have pulled Aqua Mothra out for another appearance. That would have been awesome.

If I had to choose other monsters it would be Rodan for sky, maybe Daghara or Manda or perhaps even Varan for water. I would leave earth as is. Anguirus would have been great to see in a modern form that doesnt suck, but I think Baragon needs more love and would just leave it.
Not all who wander are lost