Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla 2000: Millennium (Early Draft)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
SickleFeather
Samurai

Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla 2000: Millennium (Early Draft)

Post by SickleFeather »

So Romero just added another entry to the main site's "Cutting Room", this time, involving a early concept of Godzilla 2000 with him facing off against the Japanese Military.
Here is the link to it. https://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_roo ... draft.html

Believe it or not, this is not the only time that I heard of supposed early concepts for Godzilla 2000.
The other ones I heard of had Godzilla fight either Anguirus, King Caesar or even Kumonga before Toho decided to settle on Godzilla fighting an alien monster.

I was kinda debating on whether to just post this on the main discussion for Godzilla 2000 or make a whole new thread, I decided to settle on the latter in this case.
Last edited by SickleFeather on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"So ends the human race! The future is built upon the past, but your kind shall never see it! Your mother and father are dead, tiny one. And now, it is your turn...TO DIE!" - Grima, Fire Emblem Awakening

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla 2000: Millennium (Early Draft)

Post by Gigantis »

I would have liked this movie,but probably not as much as the one we got.

Also,i heard of the VS. Anguirus idea too. Think i also heard of one with Rodan in it.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Definitely happier with the film we ended up getting, though I am morbidly curious if there's more details on the draft with King Caesar in it.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I'm not sure there were ever "drafts" of these early versions. The main site article specifically states that the solo Godzilla concept was conceived "before writers Hiroshi Kashiwabara and Wataru Mimura fleshed out a screenplay." So if it's anything like Hollywood we're looking at either a short outline (1-2 page synopsis) or a story treatment (much longer but still not as fleshed out as a screenplay). A good example of a story treatment is Kazuki Omori's Mothra vs. Bagan.

So anyway all that said, there may never have been much more than "Godzilla fights King Seeser" or "Godzilla fights Kamacuras." Hell, maybe those monsters were only discussed briefly in early production meetings.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

You can sort of see the remnants of this with the whole Full Metal Missile Launchers and Katagiri's role in the story. You could chop out Orga from the script and the film minus the climax wouldn't be too different.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I remember a supposed early draft about the entire world military uniting against Godzilla only to completely waste all their armaments leading Godzilla on a world wide rampage unopposed. I wonder if this was it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BigGrayGecko
Yojimbo

Post by BigGrayGecko »

"Get ready to crumble" poster kinda shows us what this movie could have been.

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

BigGrayGecko wrote:"Get ready to crumble" poster kinda shows us what this movie could have been.
But it has Orga in the background, indicating that the poster was made after the scrapping of "Godzilla vs. World" scenario.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

I heard these ideas, with like, Anguirus, King Caesar and Rodan, never existed.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

SickleFeather wrote:The other ones I heard of had Godzilla fight either Anguirus, King Caesar or even Kumonga before Toho decided to settle on Godzilla fighting an alien monster.
Can't exactly say I've heard of those.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)