Say something negative about the Milennium Series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: Say something negative about the Milennium Series

Post by Chrispy_G »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote:I would have liked to see Toho take a cue from the Gamera films and try to go for their A-tier "definitive trilogy" of Godzilla films.
Well they did try that

We all know how that turned out.

And really, bi-anual films don't mean much of anything depending on who would be working on said trilogy (we have plenty of that in modern films that turned out to be garbage) and i wouldn't be surprised if they stepped away from it on purpose to make sure they didn't look like they were ripping Gamera off.
I DID say A-tier and definitive, not 'weirdly phoned in dark sci-fi loaded with angst and barely any monster action'. That anime trilogy feels like a weird experiment, and THAT is what casuals encounter on Netflix to represent Godzilla, that and the 98 film. Imagine if that trilogy had been a home-run, the kind of trilogy that the 90s Gamera trilogy was(reinvention, update, super true to the spirit of the character, makes the monster action epic and cool, well written humans with a good dynamic between them and the monsters)....imagine how many people who just 'gave it a try' with those Godzilla anime films would be turned into serious fans.

Added in 3 minutes 38 seconds:
eabaker wrote:
Walking out of the theater after my first viewing of Godzilla 2000, the first thought I had was, "I wish the dynamic among human characters in this movie had been the focal point of a trilogy."
Absolutely. It felt so much like it was primed to start something fresh. Heck, a sequel could have even gone farther to more specifically flesh out exactly what kind of timeline this was taking place in.

And to think, we were super close to getting a US produced sequel to the film that would have at LEAST had cameos from some of the G2K characters. Who knows where that could have gone if that film had been a big hit.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

Okay, I'll be the first to admit a more traditional Godzilla story as a Netflix original could have really opened up the franchise to a lot of people, but,

A) The anime trilogy was really just yet another example of what Toho has been doing since the start of the Millennium series (read: weird, unique takes on the character) Beloved as Shin Godzilla is, it's also just another crazy one-off. Were they bizarre? Yes, but more creative control is good. I personally like the anime trilogy for what it was, but I can understand those who didn't. Regardless, this same ethos gave us both GMK and Shin Godzilla. This should be encouraged!

B) (Following on) ...Strangely representative of the series a whole? I mean, at this point, what is a modern Godzilla movie? A rubber suit movie ala the 1999-2004 (which, mind, to the uninitiated are at least 17 year-old movies)? A dark allegory like Shin Godzilla? A pulpy CGI blockbuster like the Monsterverse? A hard sci-fi anime? There is no norm. Regardless of what they produced, it likely would have been another odd duck.

Note: More on-topic, I disliked the Kiryu duology more than most Godzilla films. Honestly, they have some okay designs, but they fail to garner much of any reaction out of me. I'd rather hate a film then be conpletely unmoved by it. At least the anime trilogy had some great world building and cool designs.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Tokyo S.O.S

That is all.

Added in 38 minutes 49 seconds:
Actually here's another something: Final Wars' opening sequence. It's the worst put together thing in the entire movie! All the clips spazz in and out and it's hard to make out anything that's going on. If i wasn't a Godzilla fan, i wouldn't even know what the heck i was looking at.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The GFW title sequence perfectly encapsulates that film's production. It's Toho going for broke and bringing in international talent for worldwide visibility/prestige only to drop the ball on the execution.

Presumably the reason for hiring Kyle Cooper to do the titles was so that he would produce a world-class and memorable title sequence. He did neither. I hate to think how much he was paid for that disaster. But that's GFW for ya.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Whereas I have always been vocal with my unpopular opinions regarding both GMK and Shin due to some of their unusual creative decisions regarding Godzilla as a character as well as his attributes, I am starting to feel that the 2 Kiryu films are an example of playing it too safe.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Tokyo SOS is ‘too safe’. GxMG is Megaguirus done better.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

VoyagerGoji wrote:Tokyo SOS is ‘too safe’. GxMG is Megaguirus done better.
Better in the sense that it utilizes a more original storyline?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote:
I can't explain it, but watch this Omni Viewer video on the matter.

He basically explains how it's an almost identical plot, but how GxMG does it better. The almost tragic female leads, the superweapon to kill Godzilla, and the monster enemy for Godzilla, especially with how the latter two combine in GxMG, and isn't badly done like GxM.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

VoyagerGoji wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbuuQCcYOkE

He basically explains how it's an almost identical plot, but how GxMG does it better. The almost tragic female leads, the superweapon to kill Godzilla, and the monster enemy for Godzilla, especially with how the latter two combine in GxMG, and isn't badly done like GxM.
Good to see someone who actually appreciates Omni Viewer around here (assuming you actually do).
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:

Good to see someone who actually appreciates Omni Viewer around here (assuming you actually do).
I do, long-time subscriber in fact.
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

VoyagerGoji wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:

I do, long-time subscriber in fact.
The funniest video of his that I've seen is "As Written by Shakespeare: Pronoun Trouble". How ingenious! I got a real good laugh out of that one!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Nope, not watching 30 minutes of that.

I think GxMG is a more serious take on what GxM did. It's not necessarily better.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:Nope, not watching 30 minutes of that.

I think GxMG is a more serious take on what GxM did. It's not necessarily better.
Actually, It's only 3 minutes and 9 seconds long. He only does a small part of the cartoon and he does it all by himself.

But that's okay, at least I tried.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I honestly would've prefered if they continued one continuity instead of constantly rebooting.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:23 am I honestly would've prefered if they continued one continuity instead of constantly rebooting.
Honestly, what made them not want to start from where Destoroyah left off?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:18 pm
Gigantis wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:23 am I honestly would've prefered if they continued one continuity instead of constantly rebooting.
I mean, Destroyah was conceived and constructed as an ending. Any direct continuation would have felt like a cheat.

But, from Toho's perspective, I'm sure it was more about a clean slate to draw in a new audience.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

eabaker wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:08 pm
I mean, Destroyah was conceived and constructed as an ending. Any direct continuation would have felt like a cheat.
So was Return of the Jedi, and that did not prevent the sequel trilogy from existing. That is, regardless of how you feel about said films..
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:45 pm
eabaker wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:08 pm

So was Return of the Jedi, and that did not prevent the sequel trilogy from existing. That is, regardless of how you feel about said films..
Honestly, while I still consider Jedi the best ending available to Star Wars, and cannot really imagine a better one, I don't think it puts as definitive a period on its series as Destroyah. And Star Wars - for all that it has splintered off into different continuities since the days of Marvel comics and Splinter of the /mind's Eye - has always existed to its fandom primarily as a single, ongoing continuity; the Heisei era was never the Godzilla story, but always just a Godzilla story, which would inevitably wrap up and make room for new approaches.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

eabaker wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:48 amHonestly, while I still consider Jedi the best ending available to Star Wars, and cannot really imagine a better one, I don't think it puts as definitive a period on its series as Destroyah. And Star Wars - for all that it has splintered off into different continuities since the days of Marvel comics and Splinter of the /mind's Eye - has always existed to its fandom primarily as a single, ongoing continuity; the Heisei era was never the Godzilla story, but always just a Godzilla story, which would inevitably wrap up and make room for new approaches.
It would not hurt if Toho decided to re-visit any past continuity for future films/television would it?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:43 pm
eabaker wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:48 amHonestly, while I still consider Jedi the best ending available to Star Wars, and cannot really imagine a better one, I don't think it puts as definitive a period on its series as Destroyah. And Star Wars - for all that it has splintered off into different continuities since the days of Marvel comics and Splinter of the /mind's Eye - has always existed to its fandom primarily as a single, ongoing continuity; the Heisei era was never the Godzilla story, but always just a Godzilla story, which would inevitably wrap up and make room for new approaches.
It would not hurt if Toho decided to re-visit any past continuity for future films/television would it?
It might be an interesting experiment for a single movie, or a even a short run (probably not more than a trilogy). There needs to be a space for nostalgia and a space for innovation.