The Godzilla Final Wars timeline

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

The Godzilla Final Wars timeline

Post by Dyrakro »

Thinking back I wonder which events took place before the events of the movie. Kiriu exits, yet the recent Godzilla was captured and frozen since the '60s. Meaning most of the movies from at least Gidorah the Three headed Monster shouldn't have happened.
Is it possible that the events of Godzilla Raids Again took place but with not-yet-Captain Gordon and the Gotengo instead of Tskioka and Kobayashi?
Last edited by Dyrakro on Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla Final Wars timeline

Post by Ivo-goji »

Final Wars is a stand alone movie with no connection to any previous film.

We literally just had a topic about this.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Is it ever stated anywhere that the opening to Final Wars was set in the 1960s, or is it just assumed to be given the classic Gotengo design? If it is, that'd make Captain Gordon at least in his 60s (Don Frye himself was only in his early 40s, though I realize the age of the character and actor are different things).
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

I remember that prior to the film's release there was talk of a "1960's scene" at the beginning of the film, but I think it was more or less referring to a 1960's aesthetic based on the design of the Gotengo and Maser Cannons. Official materials only state that the main action of Final Wars is set in 20XX with the prologue being "several decades before." The only definitive date given to anything in the movie is Godzilla first appearing in 1954. Books also offhandedly mention a creature attacking New York City in 1998 when discussing Zilla.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

I tought that this film took place after Gojira (1954), because it is mentioned that Godzilla first-appeared in 1954, but even that, doesn't mean that the FW Godzilla is G'54. Also, the Zilla from FW, is so much time described like this: A creature that looks like other creature that attacked New York in 1998, but the G'98 incarnation couldn't be Zilla, because there's so much differences between this 2 kaijus.
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

The fact that Godzilla is still considered King of the monsters, even though his existence bothered humanity over 40 years ago is surely impressive. The few years between his first appearance and his defeat must've been atrocious for humanity.

And I wonder how / why Kiryu was created.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Kiryu doesn’t exist in Final Wars. Can you not read?
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Kiryu doesn’t exist in Final Wars. Can you not read?
This ENTIRE fandom summed up.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Kiryu doesn’t exist in Final Wars. Can you not read?
Just had to look it up. I always heard Akiko Namikawa say to "activate Kiryu". Looks like the German dub made Karyu to Kiryu.
Last edited by Dyrakro on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Wich is Godzilla Final Wars Temporary location/Year Ubication?

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

If Godzilla first appeared in 1954, and later he was frozened in 1960s, and then many decades pass, ¿Wich is the Temporary location/Year Ubication of Godzilla: Final Wars?
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

UltramanGoji

Re: Wich is Godzilla Final Wars Temporary location/Year Ubication?

Post by UltramanGoji »

Dude, I'm gonna defend your right to ask questions about GFW (as stupid as I think they are), but you really gotta learn not to post them in their own topics.

This could easily be asked in the pre-existing Final Wars thread.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Here's the timeline.

Bunch shit happens
1964:Final Wars prologue
Bunch other shit happens
Final Wars

RIP Evan.

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

Godzilla Final Wars is basically taking place around 2034 or so, from what I've read elsewhere. Final Goji was frozen in 2004. Everything that took place in between, is canon. Godzilla timeline has always been a mess for some of the movies. Basically, try and accommodate the timelines of the movies as best as possible, but the timeline won't be perfect.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

latinothor wrote:Godzilla Final Wars is basically taking place around 2034 or so, from what I've read elsewhere. Final Goji was frozen in 2004. Everything that took place in between, is canon. Godzilla timeline has always been a mess for some of the movies. Basically, try and accommodate the timelines of the movies as best as possible, but the timeline won't be perfect.
No.

The movie begins in the 60’s and that’s when Godzilla was frozen. The story is set in 2004
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Again, is there ANY official statement anywhere that states the prologue is indeed set in 1964? As I said, things get fucky with Gordon’s age.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

Again, Godzilla Final Wars freezes in ice in 2004. All of the prior Godzilla (and Toho movies) did happen and are canon.

The events after, take place around 20-30 years after, judging by the age of the most kick ass of them all Godzilla human characters: Captain Gordon.
You can check out the years mentioned in this Japanese preview for Godzilla FW.

https://youtu.be/svKPuFkjTPw

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

latinothor wrote:All of the prior Godzilla (and Toho movies) did happen and are canon.
Well, that's obviously not true.

All the Godzilla movies can't happen in the same universe.

"Similar but different events" doesn't apply either. This version of Mothra fought a mummy Gigan. Earth has never encountered aliens before. All the kaiju are genetically linked by M-base. Literally nothing resembling previous Godzilla films happened in this continuity, except probably G54.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

I'd suggest to check out the intro. You can nitpick all you want, just like most timelines in different franchises (E.j X-men), a lot of details do not make sense.

The intro shows pieces of different Toho/Godzilla prior movies taking place. This is a celebration movie, not a movie that is trying to fix continuity. All we can do is trying to fit the movies into continuity, as we do with other franchises.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

latinothor wrote:I'd suggest to check out the intro. You can nitpick all you want, just like most timelines in different franchises (E.j X-men), a lot of details do not make sense.
That's not remotely the issue. It isn't small details that don't work. Its that every single kaiju in the movie is a brand new character with a totally new origin and history. There is no sense whatsoever in which any of the previous movies can be said to have happened.

The intro, which consists of footage from both the Showa series and the Heisei series, is purely symbolic and has nothing to do with Final Wars' actual continuity.
Resized Image

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

I can concede that the intro could be purely symbolic. Or that the intro could be footage of actual events that took place, in the movie continuity, as the years are stated.