Scrapped Monster Discussion: Varan (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Scrapped Monster Discussion: Varan (2001)

Post by SonOfGorgo »

With the main site talking about the scrapped monsters for GMK's original draft, I figured it would be cool to bring discussion to the forums.

So, how do you feel about this idea for Varan? Would you have preferred this to GMK's Mothra? Is this too radical a redesign, or would it have been great to see?

I'm personally neutral. While there were some things I thought were weird, like how he could glide via "turbulence caused by Anguirus' and Baragon's differing body temperatures", or were pointless like him being originally named "Varadaki"; I thought any else were fine, I like the design. I think I like both Varan & Mothra in terms of this concept.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Scrapped Monster Discussion: Varan (2001)

Post by GigaBowserG »

I quite love his design. He looks super muscular and imposing, even just sitting! I'd imagine he would've been the brute force of the group, with Anguirus being the speediest and Baragon being the most tenacious. For some reason it's difficult to imagine him in that white color, though.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

GigaBowserG wrote:I quite love his design. He looks super muscular and imposing, even just sitting! I'd imagine he would've been the brute force of the group, with Anguirus being the speediest and Baragon being the most tenacious.
Yeah, I'm even planning on a spin-off fanfic story about this Varan.
GigaBowserG wrote:For some reason it's difficult to imagine him in that white color, though.
I understand what you mean, but to be fair, his original film was black & white.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I'm glad Varan would have been the strongest of guardian monsters in this version. It's a shame this version as well as the Anguirus didn't end up in the finished film

onerichman
Monsterland Worker

Post by onerichman »

I love Varan and wish he would have been in the movie. I just hope that Toho decides to bring him back in the future.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

I do like the idea of Varan gliding off the turbulence created by Anguirus and Baragon. I think it shows a unity between the Guardians that was never really shown aside from Ghidorah and Mothra's teamwork.
Resized Image

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:I think it shows a unity between the Guardians that was never really shown aside from Ghidorah and Mothra's teamwork.
Baragon