Ranking the Mechagodzilla Films - the Sequel!

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Which do you prefer?

Godzilla X Mechagodzilla
71%
Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
29%

Total votes: 38

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Ranking the Mechagodzilla Films - the Sequel!

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Just like how both the Showa and Mellenium eras have Mechagodzilla duologies, so too shall this topic. (First one: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26834)

Which of the millennium Mechagodzilla movies do you prefer and why? Personally I like Tokyo SOS. I loved how the protagonist was just a lowly engineer, it would be like if the main character of Star Wars was one of those X-Wing mechanics. I also found him much more interesting than the girl from GxMG (I'm sorry I have trouble remembering Japanese names), if only because her story was basically the same as from Godzilla vs. Megaguirus. To be fair he didn't have much of a character arc, and she did, but we'd seen hers already only two movies earlier and this guy was still pretty likeable. It raised interesting ethical questions in regards to Mechagodzilla, which are legitimate considering the events of the first film when Kiryu went rogue, showing it retained some sort of neural activity. And the political aspect of having to decide national policy based on the possibility of war with a giant-ass moth is pretty freaking cool in a crazy way. Godzilla also came off tougher, fending off both Mothra and Mechagodzilla before finally being defeated. I also love the way in Tokyo SOS, once the action starts it never stops, but without disrupting the flow of the narrative as the characters are caught in the middle at street level.

GxMG has some great action, in particular I love Godzilla's entrance and the resulting tank battle. Other than though, the film feels a little empty for me.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Ranking the Mechagodzilla Films - the Sequel!

Post by Zarm »

I think GxM is just about perfect- I love the characters, stories, battles, etc.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I just realized I should have named this topic 'Terror of Ranking the Mechagodzilla Films: TK SOS'.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'm not a fan of either movie, but of the two, I at least find GxMG basically inoffensive. Whereas Tokyo SOS is pretty solidly my least-favorite Japanese-produced Godzilla movie ever. Heck, I might even rate it below GINO, if I'm really forcing myself to be objective.

GxMG's biggest sins, to me, are just being bland, generic and underdeveloped.

Tokyo SOS, on the other hand, is just a complete mess. Not only do I not find anything worth getting emotionally invested in, but the structure is so all-over-the-map that I have no real idea what story I'm even watching, until about an hour in they just seem to throw in the towel and go, "Fuck it, just watch some monsters fighting for the rest of the movie." And those monster scenes - even more so than in GxMG - are really lit and shot to just look like guys in stiff suits standing around on miniature sets.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote: Tokyo SOS, on the other hand, is just a complete mess. Not only do I not find anything worth getting emotionally invested in, but the structure is so all-over-the-map that I have no real idea what story I'm even watching, until about an hour in they just seem to throw in the towel and go, "skreeonk it, just watch some monsters fighting for the rest of the movie." And those monster scenes - even more so than in GxMG - are really lit and shot to just look like guys in stiff suits standing around on miniature sets.
I couldn't disagree more. While I don't think any of the Millennium films outside of GMK are especially remarkable, I do think they are as much in the spirit of Godzilla as any other of the films. Perhaps the characters in SOS don't do much, but I think their stories are more just very simple rather than nonsensical, and that's okay. The mechanic just wants to do his duty, and he respects the machine that Kiryu is. But he also learns to understand it for what it is, rather than what he wishes it to be. The grandfather just needs to keep his son safe (I'll admit they could have a done a lot more with his connection to Mothra though). All of that is enough for me when the performances and characterization are warm and likeable.

And then I do think there are wider, deeper themes to do with the ethics of Kiryu. Sure, these issues are rooted in sci-fi gobblydygook, but there is a real issue of whether it's okay to put something into service with that feels pain, and is perhaps aware enough of its use to not want to do it. As I said before, the political angle of possible war with Mothra is just pure nonsense, but I like it just for that reason. Maybe Mothra represents a kind of world police nation like the US? That's probably reading too much into it, but then again reading too much into things is the fun of being a fan.

And then the action is great. I don't think it looks faker than any other Godzilla movie. I think the miniature sets look great, especially the Diet building, and so do the suits. Kiryu's drill hands look great on camera, and there are some beautiful shots of Godzilla fighting Mothra while the sun sets. Also you get to see Tokyo under construction after Godzilla's last rampage, which you NEVER get to see in any other Godzilla movie with continuity from the last.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

GXMG for me, all the way. The main aspect that sells it are the characters. Akane is one of the best protagonists in any Godzilla movie IMHO, and Yumiko Shaku does a great job playing her. Shin Takuma (Dr. Yuhara), Kana Onodera (Sara) and the rest of the cast are great as well. Some of the kaiju action sequences may be a bit lacking, but the final battle is very exciting and the kaiju designs are good. And do I even need to mention arguably the best music score in Godzilla history, by Michiru Oshima?

All in all, I've grown to love this movie more and more over the years, and now it's one of my absolute favorites; not just in Godzilla movies, but movies in general.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Hahaha the other thread was neck in neck, but here GxMG takes a clear lead. Looks like I'm in the minority this time!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:I'm not a fan of either movie, but of the two, I at least find GxMG basically inoffensive. Whereas Tokyo SOS is pretty solidly my least-favorite Japanese-produced Godzilla movie ever. Heck, I might even rate it below GINO, if I'm really forcing myself to be objective.

Tokyo SOS, on the other hand, is just a complete mess. Not only do I not find anything worth getting emotionally invested in, but the structure is so all-over-the-map that I have no real idea what story I'm even watching, until about an hour in they just seem to throw in the towel and go, "skreeonk it, just watch some monsters fighting for the rest of the movie."
Yep. That's it exactly, for me. (Though I do love the bits once the technicians is inside. That gets pretty exciting, especially with the mid-air rescue).

Added in 1 minute 49 seconds:
G-Matt wrote:GXMG for me, all the way. The main aspect that sells it are the characters. Akane is one of the best protagonists in any Godzilla movie IMHO, and Yumiko Shaku does a great job playing her. Shin Takuma (Dr. Yuhara), Kana Onodera (Sara) and the rest of the cast are great as well. Some of the kaiju action sequences may be a bit lacking, but the final battle is very exciting and the kaiju designs are good. And do I even need to mention arguably the best music score in Godzilla history, by Michiru Oshima?
Likewise, this is a fantastic summation for me, as well.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:
eabaker wrote:I'm not a fan of either movie, but of the two, I at least find GxMG basically inoffensive. Whereas Tokyo SOS is pretty solidly my least-favorite Japanese-produced Godzilla movie ever. Heck, I might even rate it below GINO, if I'm really forcing myself to be objective.

Tokyo SOS, on the other hand, is just a complete mess. Not only do I not find anything worth getting emotionally invested in, but the structure is so all-over-the-map that I have no real idea what story I'm even watching, until about an hour in they just seem to throw in the towel and go, "skreeonk it, just watch some monsters fighting for the rest of the movie."
Yep. That's it exactly, for me. (Though I do love the bits once the technicians is inside. That gets pretty exciting, especially with the mid-air rescue).
By that point, the movie has already long since lost me, to the point that I'm usually no longer paying any attention.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla is probably my favorite G film- so it gets my vote.

I like SOS too, I love the whole "battleground" feel, and that final battle with Kiryu and Godzilla with the Diet Building is epic.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

GxMG, no doubt about it! GMK is probably the best of the 1999 - 2004 films, but GxMG is my favorite the bunch easily and my second favorite of all the Mechagodzilla films. :)

G-Matt sums it up nicely:
G-Matt wrote:GXMG for me, all the way. The main aspect that sells it are the characters. Akane is one of the best protagonists in any Godzilla movie IMHO, and Yumiko Shaku does a great job playing her. Shin Takuma (Dr. Yuhara), Kana Onodera (Sara) and the rest of the cast are great as well. Some of the kaiju action sequences may be a bit lacking, but the final battle is very exciting and the kaiju designs are good. And do I even need to mention arguably the best music score in Godzilla history, by Michiru Oshima?

All in all, I've grown to love this movie more and more over the years, and now it's one of my absolute favorites; not just in Godzilla movies, but movies in general.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

SOS but just barely. They are both two of my least favorite (as well as most boring and lifeless) films in the whole series. Right down at the very bottom with G14 and Megaguirus. While I strongly dislike GxMG and Megaguirus, SOS I'm just pretty indifferent towards. I don't really dislike it per say but its not all that great or memorable either.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I find that my enjoyment of these two movies comes more from the ideas than the execution of those ideas. I almost wish another director could revisit some of those ideas one day.

Anyway, I prefer GxM. It's more tightly polished for sure.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

I really like GXM and Tokyo SOS is mediocre. Mothra is such a cool character but Toho just kept putting her in films like Tokyo SOS and wasting her potential.

Gojira95
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojira95 »

BooLugosi wrote:I really like GXM and Tokyo SOS is mediocre. Mothra is such a cool character but Toho just kept putting her in films like Tokyo SOS and wasting her potential.
Hey at least she went out in a blaze of glory in Final Wars.....quite literally.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

GxMG is what a proper Showa tribute looks like in my opinion, a MechaGodzilla who can fight physically, a fantastic musical score, and the question of whether its ethical/a good idea to use the corpse of the original Godzilla to kill a new one.
My favorite film of the millennium series, with G2K a close 2nd.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Billzilla1974 wrote:GxMG is what a proper Showa tribute looks like in my opinion, a MechaGodzilla who can fight physically, a fantastic musical score, and the question of whether its ethical/a good idea to use the corpse of the original Godzilla to kill a new one.
Its my favorite of the Millennium series too!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Billzilla1974 wrote:GxMG is what a proper Showa tribute looks like in my opinion, a MechaGodzilla who can fight physically, a fantastic musical score, and the question of whether its ethical/a good idea to use the corpse of the original Godzilla to kill a new one.
I might swap the order (depends on which I've most recently watched. ;) ), but this describes my favorites (and the reasons) perfectly, too.

Maranatha!

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Since I personally see the two installments as one big film split into a two-parter. I would say that I like both equally. Neither more than the other.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Jory
Monarch Researcher

Post by Jory »

I like both, but the addition of Mothra (the story being a proper sequel to the original Mothra film, no less) and a beautiful ending put SOS ahead for me.