Godzilla final wars rat face?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla final wars rat face?

Post by Gojira18 »

Eh, I don't really see it. I still consider it one of my favorite designs

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Post by Scarlet Spider »

I can definitely see the rat face. Just one of my problems with that incarnation. Though it's my least favorite Godzilla movie regardless, so eh.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

From what I heard, suit actor Tsutomu Kitagawa said this is the lightest and most flexible Godzilla suit he ever wore.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Gojira95
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojira95 »

I agree with Gerdzerl on the previous page, he does kinda look like a Tasmanian Devil.

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

Yeah, I remember that somebody did 2 fan arts were Godzilla 2004, It's a Rat-zilla or something. I'm totally agree with you, and Godzilla 2004 is My favourite Godzilla design too!

Added in 7 minutes 24 seconds:
Don't you guys think that Godzilla 2004 looks more like a Tilacine?
Last edited by Godzilla2004fan on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I’ve never understood the hate this design gets, I’ve always ranked it among my favorites.

In all honesty, to me it seems like an updated version of the late Showa suits, with it’s single row of dorsal plates and lightweight design meant for fighting.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I still think that calling his face rat-like isn't really all that bad of an insult. What's wrong with a rat's face, exactly?
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Gerdzerl wrote:I still think that calling his face rat-like isn't really all that bad of an insult. What's wrong with a rat's face, exactly?
I don’t know, Astronaut Glen seemed to have a problem with it.
“You dirty stinkin’ rats!”
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

G2000 wrote:I’ve never understood the hate this design gets, I’ve always ranked it among my favorites.

In all honesty, to me it seems like an updated version of the late Showa suits, with it’s single row of dorsal plates and lightweight design meant for fighting.
But it's not the body that gets all the hate, it's the face.

And I think, above all else, it's the eyes. Other Godzillas' eyes sometimes give off a sense of intelligence, or pain, or anger, or a kind of uncanny total inhumanity (like the original). But this one? They look kind of stupid and mean, like a stereotype of a schoolyard bully. I dunno, that's always been my read of them, anyway.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

G2000 wrote:I’ve never understood the hate this design gets, I’ve always ranked it among my favorites.

Yeah, This Design is not bad, in My opinion, this Godzilla design is My personal favorite.
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Never seen that image of Godzilla 04’ before…

Added in 2 minutes 13 seconds:
eabaker wrote:

But it's not the body that gets all the hate, it's the face.

And I think, above all else, it's the eyes. Other Godzillas' eyes sometimes give off a sense of intelligence, or pain, or anger, or a kind of uncanny total inhumanity (like the original). But this one? They look kind of stupid and mean, like a stereotype of a schoolyard bully. I dunno, that's always been my read of them, anyway.
I see what you mean actually, there was always something about the face that bothered me and I knew it wasn’t the shape. Rework the eye shape and look and it’d be a big step up.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I feel like it works for the film, though. This is a big, mean, angry Godzilla. He's ticked of at the world. He is all about hate; that's his arc (what little of it there is). True, maybe something that communicated a little more *intelligence* and hatred would be good...

Count me among the design's advocates. It's not in my top 5, but I prefer it to its direct predecessor, and even the GMK design (which I find interesting and eerie- definitely effective for its purposes and film- but not my cup of tea as a design). Not that there isn't room for improvement, but I like it well enough.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

Godzilla2004fan wrote:

Yeah, This Design is not bad, in My opinion, this Godzilla design is My personal favorite.

A man of culture and good taste
Last edited by Kinggoji1962 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

I just feel like the suit's proportions are too human-like, that's my problem with it and most of the Final Wars monster designs.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I definitely understand and share that; it's the same reason I'm (heresy!) not a huge fan of most of the showa Godzilla suits. But there is a quality in Final Wars- particularly in Rodan, King Caesar, and Monster X, for me- that really ramps that 'human form is obvious' factor up to 11.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:I definitely understand and share that; it's the same reason I'm (heresy!) not a huge fan of most of the showa Godzilla suits. But there is a quality in Final Wars- particularly in Rodan, King Caesar, and Monster X, for me- that really ramps that 'human form is obvious' factor up to 11.
Yeah, I've never understood all the praise this Rodan gets, when it is by far the most anthropoid version.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I think the Final War Godzilla looks really mean and badass from certain angles. There's definitely some bad angles here and there, like with most Godzilla designs, but I largely rather like it. Especially like the pronounced claws and deep set eyes.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:I definitely understand and share that; it's the same reason I'm (heresy!) not a huge fan of most of the showa Godzilla suits. But there is a quality in Final Wars- particularly in Rodan, King Caesar, and Monster X, for me- that really ramps that 'human form is obvious' factor up to 11.
Yeah, I've never understood all the praise this Rodan gets, when it is by far the most anthropoid version.
I didn't know it received any praise at all...
#slatternking

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
eabaker wrote:
I didn't know it received any praise at all...
A lot of people seem to regard it as the best or second-best version of the character.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Considering the Heisei version was an extremely stiff puppet, I'd say that's pretty accurate IMO.