Are we really still in the Millennium Series?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
InnocentClarke
Yojimbo

Re: Are we really still in the Millennium Series?

Post by InnocentClarke »

+1 for this being called the 'Resurgence era'. Sounds good and, even if the title was ultimately dropped, it does has that connection with 'Godzilla: Resurgence', which is the film that I'd point to in order to declare this a definitive resurgence, anyway.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

SonOfGorgo wrote:Personally, I like to call this post-2014 as The Resurgence era.
Like the sound of that a lot. Incredibly fitting, whether it began with G2014 or Shin.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

Godzilla Final Wars was the end of suitamation, thus ending and era IMO (And a fitting end if you ask me)

Godzilla 2014 and Shin Godzilla feels like the beginning of a new chapter and a new era in the Godzilla saga.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Yeah I also think the Millennium era is over, especially since the gap between Final Wars and Shin Godzilla was the longest ever. But I'm not sure who gets the final say. Does Toho name the eras or was it fans?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Unlike the Showa and Heisei eras, which were eras named for convenience more than anything else, the Millennium movies were specifically conceived as a single project. Originally intended as an experimental trilogy, Toho ended up doubling that, but it was still a single wave of movies that was concluded with GFW.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.