Talkback: Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Re: Tokyo S.O.S. Thead

Post by Hedorah »

GodzillaDude wrote:If you think about it they basically screwed themselves at the end. Every version of Godzilla can breath underwater and he will eventually escape the silk and come back and rampage again and since they don't have Kiryu anymore their basically doomed unless they build another robot but still.
You already said basically the same thing a couple posts up, but yeah I think they realized eventually Godzilla would come back, but not for a long time.
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Hedorah wrote:
GodzillaDude wrote:If you think about it they basically screwed themselves at the end. Every version of Godzilla can breath underwater and he will eventually escape the silk and come back and rampage again and since they don't have Kiryu anymore their basically doomed unless they build another robot but still.
You already said basically the same thing a couple posts up, but yeah I think they realized eventually Godzilla would come back, but not for a long time.
Yeah I kind of just put it in different words lol

But the movie didn't end with Godzilla having any major wounds like in Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla so he'd probably return sooner then before.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

He had the same exact chest wound drilled open, then fired on with a maser cannon. Plus the 2 Mothra larva survived, so that would mean 2 Mothras could come help (assuming both larvas live and mature)
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Yes but Godzilla seemed to have more trouble with the 2 larva then with the adult Mothra herself. So I imagine Kiryu Saga Godzilla could manage 2.
SA

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

I think 2 Mothras would be too much for 1 Godzilla
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Hedorah wrote:I think 2 Mothras would be too much for 1 Godzilla
Ehhh...it's debatable. Godzilla could kill one at a time. He could kill one then return to sea return later at some point and kill the other.
SA

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

And what? The 2nd one would just sit there and let him attack the other? No it would be a full on 2 vs. 1
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

KiryuFreak
Monsterland Worker

Post by KiryuFreak »

Hedorah wrote:And what? The 2nd one would just sit there and let him attack the other? No it would be a full on 2 vs. 1
That would be a good idea for the 2012 movie lol

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

The only thing I can honestly say I liked was Kiryu being the original Godzilla. The movie bores me to death.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Hedorah wrote:And what? The 2nd one would just sit there and let him attack the other? No it would be a full on 2 vs. 1
Your right but I think the chances are higher that Godzilla would kill both Mothra's rather then 2 Mothra's killing Godzilla.
SA

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

The only reason I think the Mothras would win is because SOS Godzilla was really dumb, he wouldn't be able to take on 2 different enemies, he would get confused.
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Possibly but Kiryu Saga Godzilla's beam (though not the strongest one) would be a problem. But the main thing is I just don't think they'd be powerful enough to flat out kill Godzilla.
SA

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Having finally gotten finished with work and in the midst of packing up for college again, I decided to sit down and watch some of the post-Showa Godzilla movies again in order to see if they'd hold up better (recently, the only Godzilla movies I'd seriously given any attention to were Godzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla, and Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster). I figured I'd just sit down and watch Tokyo S.O.S. as I would any other Godzilla movie - not worrying about its positives, its message, its flaws, how overrated/underrated people claim it is, how it pales in comparison to other Godzilla movies, and what it could have been. And really, this film holds up better than it did before, but sadly - not much.

My opinion remains the same for the most part, with an improved opinion towards the final battle. The effects work is really top-notch - the best of the Godzilla series, IMO. The Mothra design is, I believe, the best Mothra design and prop out there. And Kiryu is my favorite incarnation, design-wise, of Mechagodzilla. And my opinion towards KiryuGoji, again design-wise, has improved. It's better than the G2K/GXM design easily. Godzilla's CGI ray is amazing, though I find GMK's to be better. And I've always believed that Oshima's musical scores put every other Millennium (and many of Heisei's) musical scores to shame. The final battle may steal bits from Mothra vs. Godzilla, but it certainly holds up well. I was surprised to find myself quite entertained. And of course, who could go wrong with good looking actresses ;) . So what do you know, it's actually quite fun as far as the battle goes.

Unfortunately the movie is nothing more than that final battle. The human characters are unmemorable. While the acting isn't necessarily terrible, there's just not much to work with. I felt bored watching them. The story is flat and predictable. I think my main problem with the Kiryu movies is that they aren't terrible - they're just boring. I personally find GMK and some of the Heisei movies to be more entertaining to watch. Overall, however, I feel that my opinion of the Millennium series might be increasing a bit. Could it seriously surpass Heisei on my list of Godzilla movies? I'll be giving a watch to Godzilla x Mechagodzilla tomorrow and see.

Anyway, it's fun for the final battle, musical score, and nothing else. But it's certainly gone up as far as Millennium films go, surpassing GFW with ease.

DrunkenGamer
Monsterland Worker

Post by DrunkenGamer »

I missed Shaku Yumiko's hot piloting.

On a more serious note, I enjoyed Tokyo SOS thoroughly. It's my second favorite Millenium movie next to GMK, and I thought it was awesome. Sure, the human characters were drab, but who watches monster movies for the humans? It's things like which destroys good movies (see: transformers). I think that the movie should be centered around the monsters, with the humans just helping to move the plot along.

As for special effects and stuff, excellent. I loved the fight, I loved Kiryu's design, thought KiryuGoji's design was a MAJOR step up from the first two movies, and just enjoyed the movie.

And, as said, hot chicks can't hurt. :P
Guardian of Justice and LOVE.
"So you know, cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you, it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well." - Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

DrunkenGamer wrote:I missed Shaku Yumiko's hot piloting.
You and me both bro..
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

merbermaniac123
Ronin

Tokyo S.O.S question, and also a G vs. Destoroyah question

Post by merbermaniac123 »

Okay I don't understand how Shin'ichi Chûjô is Yohito's uncle. Maybe the subs are wrong or something but the little kid (I forget his name.. does he have a name?) calls Yoshito Uncle, which would mean that he's Shin'ichi's son. But Yoshito refers to Shin'ichi as his uncle numerous times. Is there something I'm missing?

Also, in Destoroyah both Yukari Yamane and Kenichi call Emiko their grandmother, but she's clearly not. She would be their great-aunt? Step-aunt?

Are these errors on the writers parts, or is there something I'm missing? Or is Japanese family structure different in some way? Sorry if this has already been brought up before.

Kubo
Sazer

Re: Tokyo S.O.S question, and also a G vs. Destoroyah questi

Post by Kubo »

^ Maybe the translated version of calling someone formally comes out to as our Grandma or Uncle. Honestly, I don't know and I don't care much for the human plots anyways sooo....
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

It's a Japanese language thing. The same words used for biological family are also often used for unrelated people of the same relative age. "Obaa-san" could be used when talking to one's own grandmother, or just as a polite form of address to an elderly lady. Ditto for the words for older brother, younger brother, aunt, uncle... There are prefixes and suffixes that can add more nuance to the relationship, but English doesn't really have equivalents, so those details usually end up being lost in translation.

Step-aunt's as good a word as any for Emiko's relation to the Destoroyah siblings. As far as the Chuzo family tree goes, Shun is Dr. Chuzo's grandson, while Yoshi is apparently the son of Shinji Chuzo from Mothra. Shun uses the "uncle" suffix to rib his cousin by implying Yoshi's old enough to be his uncle. Yoshi saying Shun's his nephew is just a translation error. He only calls the kid "Shun" in the Japanese track.
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."

merbermaniac123
Ronin

Post by merbermaniac123 »

Ooh, well that clears it up. Thank you very much!

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

In the dutch dub of sos i also clearly read ''oom'' uncle in dutch so could it be that the english dub amd the dutch sub both make the same error
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster