Talkback: Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
The Royal SCP
Yojimbo

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

Post by The Royal SCP »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
The Royal SCP wrote:I hated it as a child, due to the fact that I thought Godzilla died (I used to automatically hate a Godzilla movie if he died), but I re-watched it and now I love it!
(wait, did Godzilla die in Tokyo SOS?)
He most certainly died, they wouldn't have ended it that way if it wasn't meant to be implied Godzilla wasn't coming back. The resolve was Godzilla was finally laid to rest when he was united with Kiryu at the bottom of the sea.
If he was coming back, they would have showed it, like they did in Godzilla vs. Ghidorah, and X Megaguirus
Oh, ok, thanks for the info!
The TRUE Royal SCP

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
The Royal SCP wrote:I hated it as a child, due to the fact that I thought Godzilla died (I used to automatically hate a Godzilla movie if he died), but I re-watched it and now I love it!
(wait, did Godzilla die in Tokyo SOS?)
He most certainly died, they wouldn't have ended it that way if it wasn't meant to be implied Godzilla wasn't coming back. The resolve was Godzilla was finally laid to rest when he was united with Kiryu at the bottom of the sea.
If he was coming back, they would have showed it, like they did in Godzilla vs. Ghidorah, and X Megaguirus
Well, it really is vague. I mean the end credits show more Godzilla DNA and other kaiju DNA- if I remember correctly. Remember, Kiryu was about to give the finishing blow, but the 1954 spirit came back and decided just to get Godzilla out of there.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Finally getting around to watching this. I'll give my thoughts when I'm done. Overall I like it so far better than the previous film and Megaguirus but that's not exactly saying much. I've got plenty of film left to go however.

Added in 1 hour 57 seconds:
Alright now that the movie is over, its not terrible but not that good either. The characters aren't given any real development and a few like the Kiryu pilots just kinda pop up and are treated like important characters for no real reason. The aren't given any sort of backstory whatsoever. There's a few cool shots of the monsters but the stiff props (sans imago Mothra for the most part) and uneven special effects really detract from it. Of course as expected Oshima's score is as bland and generic as ever. Comparing her to Ifukube is laughable! Overall its just alright. Probably place it above G14, the first Kiryu, and Megaguirus but that's about it. It lacks the charater and personality of even the worst Showa entry and steals way to much from previous better franchise films. I'd give it 2.5/5.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Am I the only one who ships Akane with Azusa? Weird question, I know.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I just can't help but love this film. Certainly blame it on nostalgia- but man, just something about this and the previous film brings me a sense of peace. They both have flaws for sure, I'm not denying that.

SOS is a prime example of a G-Fan's dream movie- from huge connections to Showa films (along with a recurring character from Mothra), to Godzilla fighting the twin larvae again. Masaaki Tezuka is a pretty cool guy judging from interviews I've seen/read; he's also one of the biggest Godzilla fans I've ever seen. This guy went to Godzilla 2014 several times just to collect special edition souvenirs! Definitely something I'm going to do once KOTM releases.

I will admit Mechagodzilla was a little off in this one, he felt so much like a husk compared to the last one. Yet it makes sense considering what's going in the story. It was rather touching when the original Godzilla's spirit returned to save Godzilla from death. Still one of the best Godzilla designs, even though the incarnation is on the bland side. Most of the human characters were underdeveloped, but I did like Chujo, he reminds me of my uncle, both are the distant engineer type of guy. Michiru Oshima's score is great.

I still enjoy this film, more of an anniversary film then FW.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Much like Biollante, this is a great film weighed down by a heap of spiritual mega cheese. The stuff with Godzilla’s sentient spirit inside Kiryu’s data is just terrible in a film that takes itself this seriously. Otherwise, it has some great kaiju action and a good plot. This also features the best version of Mothra, one that can believably get physical with Godzilla without lightning bolts and lasers, and truly feels like a descendent of the original Mothra.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LockBite wrote:a good plot
Huh. If there's a single, fundamental complaint I have with this movie, it's probably the plotting. There's no structure at all.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Ditto.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

eabaker wrote:
LockBite wrote:a good plot
Huh. If there's a single, fundamental complaint I have with this movie, it's probably the plotting. There's no structure at all.
I get what you mean, I just filed that under pacing.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I’ve seen a lot of folks expressing their dislike for this film, and, honestly, I don’t get it. I mean, by no means is this a great or special film, but I just thought t was a fun, enjoyable movie, especially compared to some of the other entries in this series.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I was one of the film's detractors, at the time my most recent watch was part of a big 30-film marathon leading up to Shin Godzilla (or 29, however you want to count it). By the time I got to Tokyo SOS, I was so drained that I couldn't even make it past the first ten minutes.

I rewatched it a few weeks ago, wanting to give it a second chance and see if it was just the mood I was in at the time. To my surprise...I kinda liked it! It wasn't great or anything, but I cannot say that it's the worst Godzilla film. The characters aren't really given a whole lot, but I like the story that surrounds it and the special effects scenes are enjoyable.

Perhaps it's a film that you just have to be in the right mood to enjoy.

GigaGoji
GPN Volunteer

Post by GigaGoji »

Wish Akane came back for this one as the protagonist.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GigaGoji wrote:Wish Akane came back for this one as the protagonist.
I agree. I believe this is part of the disconnect for me. It would add so much weight to the story as a second chance for her revenge against him. A clear headed, skilled, battle ready Akane with a battle scarred Kiryu would serve as an interesting flip from X Mechagodzilla (as the roles were arguably reversed). Instead we got another female pilot who, at least for me, could have been an Akane replacement and was just...there. Instead the film focuses on a character we (I?) don't really care about at all.

To me the human characters are the biggest flaw with this film. File that under plot/story/whatever you wish, but that's just how I see it. I simply don't care about them. And that bogs down the bulk of the film.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:Instead the film focuses on a character we (I?) don't really care about at all.
No, definitely 'we'. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I know I’m alone here, but I enjoy SOS vastly over GxMG. I was never really pulled in by Akane’s story, and the action is very meh for me. Kickass opening sequence though, one of the best in the entire franchise.

SOS has much less plot, true, and what’s there is very basic, but I still really like the protagonist. His love with machines and with MG is something I can kind of relate to in the sense that I am also a nerd obsessed with things, and I also really love how a protagonist in a Godzilla movie is just one of those construction crew people you usually see in the background. It would be the equivalent of a Star Wars movie all about one of those officers on the Star Destroyers who just quietly press all the buttons. That’s cool, to me. And then the action is awesome. That entire third act is just one long fight sequence - I’m not saying that’s a quality that makes an objectively great movie, I’m just saying it adds a lot of fun for me, and I think is more exciting than the action in GxMG.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Kiryu saying "sayonara" always makes me roll my eyes. ALWAYS. No matter how many times I try to take it seriously.

I wouldn't say SOS is one of the worst, but it feels like a drop for me. Then again, I don't think XMechaG is all that perfect either.

I hate being "that guy" but in the Millennium Series I only really think Godzilla 2000 and GMK are well made films. I enjoy Final Wars, but not because it's good.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maritonic wrote:I hate being "that guy" but in the Millennium Series I only really think Godzilla 2000 and GMK are well made films. I enjoy Final Wars, but not because it's good.
I entirely agree with you on that point. But I still enjoy GxMG and Tokyo SOS for what they are. The only mellenium film I kind of dislike is Megaguirus.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I hate being "that guy" but in the Millennium Series I only really think Godzilla 2000 and GMK are well made films. I enjoy Final Wars, but not because it's good.
I entirely agree with you on that point. But I still enjoy GxMG and Tokyo SOS for what they are. The only mellenium film I kind of dislike is Megaguirus.
Agreed on both counts.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I also really love how a protagonist in a Godzilla movie is just one of those construction crew people you usually see in the background. It would be the equivalent of a Star Wars movie all about one of those officers on the Star Destroyers who just quietly press all the buttons.
I love this aspect in theory, but nothing going on around the character really does anything for me, so it just never quite seems to click into place.
That entire third act is just one long fight sequence - I’m not saying that’s a quality that makes an objectively great movie, I’m just saying it adds a lot of fun for me, and I think is more exciting than the action in GxMG.
This is definitely something that hurts the movie for me. Most of the story points are kind of rushed to unearned conclusions to make room for a lot of action, which I just end up finding monotonous. It doesn't help that I consider it some of the worst effects photography in the whole series.
Maritonic wrote:I wouldn't say SOS is one of the worst, but it feels like a drop for me. Then again, I don't think XMechaG is all that perfect either.
Yeah, "worst" is a difficult word to apply, because different movies succeed and fail in such different respects. I would say, for me, that Tokyo SOS is the least engaging movie in the entire series. Against Mechagodzilla ranks a little higher, but still solidly in my bottom five.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Was it ever confirmed what was going on in the post credits scene in this movie anywhere?
why did i have to be the chosen one?